How to Use Onion Juice to Treat Bronchitis
Bronchitis is a disease in which the lining of the lungs and bronchial tubes become infected and inflamed. Symptoms of bronchitis include cough, fatigue, wheezing slight fevers and chest discomfort and the disease may be chronic or acute. There is no known cure for chronic bronchitis. However, according to Michael Castleman, author of "Blended Medicine: How to Integrate the Best Mainstream and Alternative Remedies for Maximum Health and Healing," you may use onion juice to help relieve the symptoms of bronchitis. Onions are a natural expectorant and may help reduce the phlegm that builds up within the lungs. Always consult your doctor before taking an alternative treatment.
Prepare the onion juice by chopping six whole onions into a double boiler. Add 1/2 cup of honey and allow the mixture to simmer for two hours to draw out the juice of the onions.
Substitutes for Pineapple Juice
Strain the onion juice and throw away the cooked onions. Pour the onion juice into a cup.
Take 1 to 2 tbsp. of the onion juice every hour to relieve bronchitis symptoms.
Substitutes for Pineapple Juice
How to Use Mullein Herb
Ways to Fix Your Lungs After Smoking
Indian Home Remedies for Cold & Cough
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Intestinal Parasites
How to Eat Raw Onions for a Cold and Stuffy Nose
How to Make a Fenugreek Drink
Most Effective Foods for Chronic Bronchitis
What to Drink to Clear Bronchial Tubes
How to Stop Weight Loss on Vyvanse
- "Blended Medicine: How to Integrate the Best Mainstream and Alternative Remedies for Maximum Health and Healing"; Michael Castleman; 2002
- "The Healthy Life Cook Book and Food Remedies"; Florence Daniel; 2007
- Mayo Clinic: Bronchitis
- Onions, raw. FoodData Central. U.S. Department of Agriculture. Published April 1, 2019.
- Anderson GH, Soeandy CD, Smith CE. White vegetables: Glycemia and satiety. Adv Nutr. 2013;4(3):356S-67S. doi:10.3945/an.112.003509
- Exploring aromatics. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Updated 2020.
- Dabeek WM, Marra MV. Dietary quercetin and kaempferol: Bioavailability and potential cardiovascular-related bioactivity in humans. Nutrients. 2019;11(10). doi:10.3390/nu11102288
- Puccinelli MT, Stan SD. Dietary bioactive diallyl trisulfide in cancer prevention and treatment. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18(8). doi:10.3390/ijms18081645
- Marrelli M, Amodeo V, Statti G, Conforti F. Biological properties and bioactive components of Allium cepa L.: Focus on potential benefits in the treatment of obesity and related comorbidities. Molecules. 2018;24(1). doi:10.3390/molecules24010119
- Chae MR, Kang SJ, Lee KP, et al. Onion (Allium cepa L.) peel extract (OPE) regulates human sperm motility via protein kinase C-mediated activation of the human voltage-gated proton channel. Andrology. 2017;5(5):979-989. doi:10.1111/andr.12406
- Smith AP, Sutherland D, Hewlett P. An investigation of the acute effects of oligofructose-enriched inulin on subjective wellbeing, mood and cognitive performance. Nutrients. 2015;7(11):8887-96. doi:10.3390/nu7115441
- Albanesi M, Pasculli C, Giliberti L, et al. Immunological characterization of onion (Allium cepa) allergy. Postepy Dermatol Alergol. 2019;36(1):98-103. doi:10.5114/ada.2019.82829
- Cooking with onions without crying. University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Updated 2020.
- What is the low FODMAP diet?. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Updated 2019.
- Onions. RxList. Updated 2019.
- Shock CC, Cheatham NE, Harden JL, Mahony, AC, Shock BM. Types of onions and varieties. Oregon State University. College of Agricultural Sciences. Updated 2020.
- Dowdy S. Stored properly Vidalia onions can still be around this winter. University of Georgia. College of Agriculture and Environmental Science. Updated 2019.
Michael Long is a practicing nutritionist and started writing in 2010 for various websites, covering topics in alternative healing and nutrition. He has a master's degree in nutrition from Benedictine University.