Hydrochlorothiazide, or HCTZ, is a diuretic commonly known as a water pill. HCTZ prevents the body from retaining water, causing edema (swelling in the legs, ankles and feet), and helps keep the body from absorbing too much salt. It is commonly prescribed to treat hypertension (high blood pressure). People who have trouble urinating are cautioned against using this drug.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Foods That Are Natural Diuretics
A number of foods are natural diuretics that can produce the same effect on the body as hydrochlorothiazide. Natural diuretic foods include:
- juniper berries
Coffee and tea also act as diuretics but contain high amounts of caffeine, which can cause some people to become jittery if consumed in large amounts.
Foods That Lower Prolactin
An important function of vitamin D is to normalize renin. Renin is an enzyme that is released by cells in the kidneys. Renin minimizes salt levels in the bloodstream to stabilize the balance of water and salt in the body. A vitamin D deficiency can cause an elevation in blood pressure. Taking supplements of vitamin D may be all that is needed to normalize blood pressure. The sun is the best source of vitamin D, but sun exposure is not advised for patients who take hydrochlorothiazide. A vitamin D supplement can help lower blood pressure and be used as a natural alternative to hydrochlorothiazide.
- An important function of vitamin D is to normalize renin.
- Renin minimizes salt levels in the bloodstream to stabilize the balance of water and salt in the body.
Chocolate? Yes...chocolate. Even a small amount (about one ounce) of high-quality dark chocolate can lower blood pressure a few points. It is high in calories and should only be consumed a few times a week to supplement other methods used for lowering blood pressure.
Celery should be consumed by eating four to six stalks daily or drinking an equivalent amount of celery juice. It is a very potent diuretic 2.
Grape seed extract relaxes the blood vessels and lowers blood pressure naturally.
Garlic can be taken in either supplement form or by consuming the equivalent of one clove daily.
- Even a small amount (about one ounce) of high-quality dark chocolate can lower blood pressure a few points.
- Celery should be consumed by eating four to six stalks daily or drinking an equivalent amount of celery juice.
Foods That Lower Prolactin
Vitamins That Make the Body Alkaline
List of Foods That Affect Protime
Are Radishes Good for Gout?
How Does Eating Cherries Affect Warfarin?
Differences Between Vitamin K & Potassium
Vitamin B-6 Shots for Weight Loss
The Top 10 Herbs, Vitamins and Minerals That Burn Fat
Hydrochlorot Side Effects
How to Make Grapefruit Juice Taste Better
- HCTZ, Drugs.com
- Diuretic Diet, Every Diet.org
- Microzide capsules. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Published February 2011.
- Hydrochlorothiazide tablets, USP. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Published May 2011.
- Diuretic drug therapy. Smidt Heart Institute. Published February 2019.
- Hydrochlorothiazide side effects. Drugs.com. Published February 13, 2019.
Formerly a teacher and consultant on computer operations and software applications for business schools, Andrea Carson is the owner and publisher of "Seniors of Las Vegas (SoLV)," a free magazine that deals strictly with issues involving senior citizens. Carson has a varied background that includes administrating nursing services, ad development, writing novels and screenplays and ghostwriting.