27 July, 2017
Mold Ingestion Treatments
Mold spores are present in virtually every environment, both indoors and out. While simple and microscopic, mold is a fungus that is not only unwelcome for sanitary purposes, but because it is dangerous. Mold spores quickly take up residence in warm, moist environments, and many types of spores are quite toxic to humans. If you have been affected by the ingestion of mold, it's important to seek treatment.
How Mold is Ingested
Because mold spores are microscopic in size, they can easily be breathed in, or inadvertently ingested. Some spores can even be absorbed through the skin. Once inside the body, mold spores have the potential to become quite harmful, depending on the sensitivity of the infected individual, the overall health of the individual and the type of mold that they have been infected with.
How Mold Affects the Body
Once inside the body, mold can quickly attack different parts of the body, depending on how it has been absorbed. Spores that have been inhaled often cause respiratory issues, including asthma, sinus infections and other types of infections. Spores that have been ingested can wreak havoc on the digestive system, causing nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and irritable bowel syndrome.
Treating Mold Ingestion
Determining the problems ingested mold is causing will help your physician to plan an effective course of treatment. Respiratory problems often occur in individuals that are hypersensitive to mold. Treatment is usually provided in the form of allergy medications and nutrients that boost the immune system. Antifungal medications and other types of medications are used in the treatment of acute situations of mold hypersensitivity.
If your physician suspects that you have ingested toxic mold, nutrients will be provided by oral and intravenous routes. Bile binders, which prevent the reabsorption of toxic components in the intestinal tract, will also be given. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy may even be recommended for those individuals whose bodies need a boost to effectively metabolize and remove the mold toxins from tissue and cells.