What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
How to Lose Weight While on Beta Blockers
According to the American Heart Association, beta blockers are beneficial medications because they help to prevent heart attacks and stroke. Many doctors put their patients on beta blockers if they have a history of heart attacks or if they suffer with high blood pressure or an irregular heart beat. However, some people have reported that beta blockers inhibit [weight loss.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
](https://healthfully.com/bmi-weight-loss-calculator.html) These medications do not stop weight loss, but they can make it harder to lose weight because they cause some people to feel fatigued. Thankfully there are steps you can take to combat the side effects and still lose weight while on beta blockers.
Eat five small meals per day. To lose weight while taking beta blockers you need to speed up your metabolism 3. You can do this by eating the right types of food several times per day, rather than eating three large meals. Be sure not to eat past seven p.m. at night. Include two to three raw vegetables in each meal. Good choices are carrots, broccoli, and cucumbers. You can eat fruit, but do so in moderation. Snack on apples or strawberries as your top choices. Eat some type of lean meat such as salmon or turkey for dinner.
How to Lose 25 Pounds in Two Weeks
Drink eight to ten glasses of pure water each day. Be sure you only drink purified water, rather than tap water. Chlorine in tap water is not good for urinary health. You may need even more water if you work out or spend time the sun. Water is essential for people who suffer with high blood pressure 2. Continue taking your medication as prescribed by your doctor.
Take supplements in the morning. To combat the fatigue caused by your medications you will need to fight back with extra vitamins. Take an iron supplements and B-complex supplement with breakfast. You need 25 mg or iron per day and 50 mg of each of the b-vitamins each day. Go to your local health food store and buy these vitamins. You can also take a whole food multi-vitamin and mineral supplement to get even more nourishment. If the beta blockers have affected you more than most people you can also take spirulina for extra energy. Spirulina is a blue green sea algae that has protein and other essential vitamins inside. You can also buy this at the health food store.
Vitamins for Palpitations
Exercise five days per week. People on heart medications of any kind need to work harder to lose weight because beta blockers and other medications slow down the heart rate 3. You can safely raise your heart rate with mild to moderate exercise each day. Be sure to alternate work outs each week. For instance, one week you can work out on the treadmill and then next week take Pilate's classes all week.
Put a daily reminder on the fridge. You may feel run down due to your heart condition so be sure to set daily reminders for yourself. These reminders will help you achieve your goals. Leave your vitamins on the counter so you are reminded to take them. Put a picture of a bikini on the fridge so you have the motivation to work out. You need to have a mind-set to lose weight. Don't give up. If you feel tired one day, take a nap and then get back into the swing of things.
Some people have more severe side effects than others when taking beta blockers. If you have severe fatigue you may want to talk to your doctor about going on a different beta blocker. If you are consistent with diet and exercise you can combat mild fatigue.
It may take more time to lose weight. Don't give up and continue with the plan. You can still lose weight while taking heart medications.
Always talk to your doctor before starting any new diet and exercise program.
Do not combine beta blockers with herbs or stimulants like coffee that can speed up your heart rate. You can increase your heart rate safely with exercise.
How to Lose 25 Pounds in Two Weeks
Vitamins for Palpitations
How You Can Lose Water Weight Overnight
3 Vitamin Deficiencies That Can Affect the Health of Your Nails
Amino Acids That You Can't Get from a Vegetarian Diet
Are Radishes Good for Gout?
How to Fuel for a Duathlon
Want Your Skin to Glow? Eat These 6 Foods!
Activities for Depressed People
How to Stop Leg Cramps With Bananas
- The American Heart Association
- High Blood Pressure Guidelines
- Medical News- Beta blockers and weight loss
- Wee Y, Burns K, Bett N. Medical management of chronic stable angina. Aust Prescr. 2015;38(4):131-6. doi:10.18773/austprescr.2015.042
- American College of Cardiology. Beta-blockers for heart attack and unstable angina. Updated May 14, 2012.
- UpToDate. Patient education: medications for angina (beyond the basics). Updated August 27, 2018.
- Chatterjee S, Biondi-zoccai G, Abbate A, et al. Benefits of β blockers in patients with heart failure and reduced ejection fraction: network meta-analysis. BMJ. 2013;346:f55. doi:10.1136/bmj.f55
- Harvard Health Publishing. Beta-blockers: cardiac jack of all trades. Updated December 2011.
- Some people have more severe side effects than others when taking beta blockers. If you have severe fatigue you may want to talk to your doctor about going on a different beta blocker. If you are consistent with diet and exercise you can combat mild fatigue.
- It may take more time to lose weight. Don't give up and continue with the plan. You can still lose weight while taking heart medications.
- Always talk to your doctor before starting any new diet and exercise program.
- Do not combine beta blockers with herbs or stimulants like coffee that can speed up your heart rate. You can increase your heart rate safely with exercise.