How to Add Raw Egg to Soup
Raw eggs are a common ingredient in many Asian style soups, both to enhance taste and provide an interesting texture. When instructions call for adding both the yolk and the egg white, you can reduce fat and cholesterol and increase the nutritional value of your soup by separating the egg and adding only the whites. Whichever you choose, adding raw eggs to soup is most often the final step in preparing your soup and an easy step to complete.
Heat the soup base to a temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a food thermometer to ensure your soup is hot enough to kill salmonella bacteria before adding raw eggs.
How to Cook Pork Brain
Crack two or more eggs in a small bowl and beat the eggs with a fork just enough to break the yolks and lightly combine the yolks and whites.
Hold a stir spoon in one hand the bowl containing the raw eggs in the other. Slowly stir the soup in a clockwise direction while adding the eggs at the same time, in the same clockwise direction. Continue slowly stirring the soup for about 1 minute in the same clockwise direction, until the eggs take on the appearance of shreds or ribbons.
If you plan to add whole raw eggs, purchase heat-treated, pasteurized eggs rather than using eggs you already have at home. Pasteurization kills bacteria present in the eggs and makes them safer to add in their raw state.
How to Cook Pork Brain
How to Thicken Chicken Soup
What Can Be Used in Place of Eggs to Make Ingredients Stick?
What Can I Use Instead of Cream of Chicken in a Casserole?
Is Potato Soup Healthy?
How to Cut Ground Beef With Oats
How to Eat Ground Flaxseed
How to Boil Onions for Soup
Nutrition of a Hard-Boiled Egg Vs. a Fried Egg
The Calories in Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- What’s Cooking America: Raw Eggs
- FoodNetwork.com; Asian Egg Drop Soup; Tyler Florence
- Johnson County K-State Research and Extension; When a Recipe Calls for Raw Eggs; Nichole Burnett
- Kuroda M, Ohta M, Okufuji T, et al. Frequency of soup intake is inversely associated with body mass index, waist circumference, and waist-to-hip ratio, but not with other metabolic risk factors in Japanese men. J Am Diet Assoc. 2011;111(1):137-42. doi:10.1016/j.jada.2010.10.004
- Zhu Y, Hollis JH. Soup consumption is associated with a reduced risk of overweight and obesity but not metabolic syndrome in US adults: NHANES 2003-2006. PLoS One. 2013;8(9):e75630. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0075630
- Wright N, Wilson L, Smith M, Duncan B, Mchugh P. The BROAD study: A randomised controlled trial using a whole food plant-based diet in the community for obesity, ischaemic heart disease or diabetes. Nutr Diabetes. 2017;7(3):e256. doi:10.1038/nutd.2017.3
- Pan A, Hu F. Effects of carbohydrates on satiety: Differences between liquid and solid food. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2011;14(4):385-390. doi:10.1097/mco.0b013e328346df36
Based in Green Bay, Wisc., Jackie Lohrey has been writing professionally since 2009. In addition to writing web content and training manuals for small business clients and nonprofit organizations, including ERA Realtors and the Bay Area Humane Society, Lohrey also works as a finance data analyst for a global business outsourcing company.