What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
How Can I Make a Homemade Bleaching Cream for Age Spots?
Age spots--also known as liver spots--are unraised brown, gray or black spots 1. According to the Mayo Clinic, these solar lentigines usually appear on adult skin around age 40 1. Age spots commonly develop on areas of the body exposed to the sun most often, including the face, hands, arms and shoulders. Although these are harmless, many people choose to lighten the affected areas with a bleaching cream. Commercial bleaching products can be pricey. If you have age spots, consider using a homemade bleaching cream with products that you may already have in your pantry.
Pour boiling water into a bowl of oatmeal. Follow the label instructions on the back of the oatmeal packet for the recommended amount of boiling water to add. Stir the oatmeal and boiling water to combine and allow it to cool.
How to Use Retin-A 0.05
Add 1 tbsp. lemon juice to the oatmeal and mix it. Apply the oatmeal and lemon cream to your age spots with clean fingertips for 30 minutes in the evening. Rinse with cool water afterward.
Mix one egg yolk and 1 tsp. honey in a bowl, using a whisk. Mix in 1 tsp. glycerin. Apply the glycerin cream to your age spots and allow it to sit on your skin for approximately two hours. Rinse with cool water afterward.
How to Get Rid of Dark Circles Around the Mouth
Mash 3 tbsp. papaya in a bowl. Mix in one egg yolk. Add 3 tbsp. cooked (cooled) carrots and mash all of the ingredients together to make a thick cream. Apply the papaya and carrot cream to your skin and rinse after 30 minutes.
Combine 1/4 cup plain yogurt, 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar and 1 tsp. aloe vera gel in a bowl. Squeeze in the juice of a quarter of a lemon. Mix the ingredients to form a cream. Apply the lightening cream to your age spots for 10 minutes and rinse with cool water afterward.
Baby food jars work well as containers for bleaching creams.
Apply a moisturizer to your skin after the lightening treatments to prevent dryness.
If any of the homemade bleaching creams cause severe reddening, itching, burning or other skin irritations, rinse immediately and discontinue use.
Do not use any homemade bleaching creams near your eye area.
Do not use homemade bleaching creams more than once or twice a day.
How to Use Retin-A 0.05
How to Get Rid of Dark Circles Around the Mouth
How to Get Rid of Freckles With Vitamin C
How to Make a Face Mask with Tomato, Lemon Juice & Oats
How to Treat Hyperpigmentation Spots on Arms & Legs
How to Get Rid of Age Spots Naturally
How to Make Your Own Strong Skin Peel at Home
How to Care for the Skin Under Your Eyes Naturally
How to Get Rid of Psoriasis & Eczema
Are There Easy Ways to Remove Dark Spots From Toes?
- Mayo Clinic: Age Spots (Liver Spots)
- Look Beauty: Natural face whitening with organic products
- Weight Loss Moms: Homemade Facial Mask Recipes
- American Academy of Dermatology. Variety of Options Available to Treat Pigmentation Problems. February 5, 2013. https://www.aad.org/media/news-releases/variety-of-options-available-to-treat-pigmentation-problems
- Tomecki J, Woodhouse G. Common Benign Growths. Cleveland Clinic Center for Continuing Education. http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/diseasemanagement/dermatology/common-benign-growths/
- Scarcella G, Dethlefsen MW, Nielsen MCE. Treatment of solar lentigines using a combination of picosecond laser and biophotonic treatment. Clin Case Rep. 2018;6(9):1868-1870. doi:10.1002/ccr3.1749
- Scherer D, Kumar R. Genetics of pigmentation in skin cancer--a review. Mutat Res. 2010;705(2):141-53. doi:10.1016/j.mrrev.2010.06.002
- Bastiaens M, Hoefnagel J, Westendorp R, Vermeer BJ, Bouwes bavinck JN. Solar lentigines are strongly related to sun exposure in contrast to ephelides. Pigment Cell Res. 2004;17(3):225-9. doi:10.1111/j.1600-0749.2004.00131.x
- Davis EC, Callender VD. Postinflammatory hyperpigmentation: a review of the epidemiology, clinical features, and treatment options in skin of color. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2010;3(7):20-31.
- George AO, Shittu OB, Enwerem E, Wachtel M, Kuti O. The incidence of lower mid-trunk hyperpigmentation (linea nigra) is affected by sex hormone levels. J Natl Med Assoc. 2005;97(5):685-8.
- Al-saif FM, Baqays AA, Alsaif HF, Alhumidi AA. Erythromelanosis follicularis faciei et colli with reticulated hyperpigmentation of the extremities. Clin Case Rep. 2017;5(10):1576-1579. doi:10.1002/ccr3.1095
- Dereure O. Drug-induced skin pigmentation. Epidemiology, diagnosis and treatment. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2001;2(4):253-62. doi:10.2165/00128071-200102040-00006
- Ammoury A, Michaud S, Paul C, et al. Photodistribution of blue-gray hyperpigmentation after amiodarone treatment: molecular characterization of amiodarone in the skin. Arch Dermatol. 2008;144(1):92-6. doi:10.1001/archdermatol.2007.25
- Jain A, Gupta N. Multifocal Bullous Fixed Drug Erruption Due To Phenytoin: A Lesson Learned! J Clin Diagn Res. 2015;9(12):OD04-5. doi:10.7860/JCDR/2015/15464.6908
- Mccarty M, Rosso JQ. Chronic administration of oral trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole for acne vulgaris. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2011;4(8):58-66.
- Massinde A, Ntubika S, Magoma M. Extensive hyperpigmentation during pregnancy: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2011;5:464. doi:10.1186/1752-1947-5-464
- Sarkar SB, Sarkar S, Ghosh S, Bandyopadhyay S. Addison's disease. Contemp Clin Dent. 2012;3(4):484-6. doi:10.4103/0976-237X.107450
- Lause M, Kamboj A, Fernandez faith E. Dermatologic manifestations of endocrine disorders. Transl Pediatr. 2017;6(4):300-312. doi:10.21037/tp.2017.09.08
- Enguita FJ, Leitão AL. Hydroquinone: environmental pollution, toxicity, and microbial answers. Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:542168. doi:10.1155/2013/542168
- Arora P, Sarkar R, Garg VK, Arya L. Lasers for treatment of melasma and post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. J Cutan Aesthet Surg. 2012;5(2):93-103. doi:10.4103/0974-2077.99436
- Prohaska J, Badri T. Cryotherapy. StatPearls Publishing. 2019.
- Schalka S. New data on hyperpigmentation disorders. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2017;31 Suppl 5:18-21. doi:10.1111/jdv.14411
- American Academy of Dermatology. Variety of Options Available to Treat Pigmentation Problems. February 5, 2013.
- Tomecki J, Woodhouse G. Common Benign Growths. Cleveland Clinic Center for Continuing Education.
Jonae Fredericks started writing in 2007. She also has a background as a licensed cosmetologist and certified skin-care specialist. Jonae Fredericks is a certified paraeducator, presently working in the public education system.