When the Eustachian tube, or narrow passage between the inner ear and the back of the throat, is not working properly, fluid can build up. The fluid can cause other problems to occur, such as infections and inflammation. Typically traditional medicine is used to treat inner ear fluid, however herbal supplements are another option that may offer some relief. There has been little scientific research done on herbal remedies for excessive inner ear fluid, and you should consult with your physician before using herbs to treat this condition.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
One herb that may be beneficial to clearing up inner ear fluid is dandelion leaf. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, because dandelion works as a natural diuretic, it can help to dry up the liquid that is present in the ear 23. David B. Young, Ph.D., professor of physiology and biophysics at the University of Mississippi in Jackson, states that to get the most benefit, pour hot water over 1 to 2 tsp. of dried dandelion leaf and drink three times a day. Check with your doctor before using dandelion leaf for any purpose.
- One herb that may be beneficial to clearing up inner ear fluid is dandelion leaf.
- According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, because dandelion works as a natural diuretic, it can help to dry up the liquid that is present in the ear 2.
Another herb that may be beneficial in clearing up inner ear fluid is parsley. An article written for YourHealth.com says parsley naturally moves mucus throughout your body and may help to allow the fluid to flow more effectively from the ear. To get the maximum benefit from parsley, consider drinking it raw as a juice. Avoid consuming more than 1 or 2 oz. of pure parsley juice at a time, as it can cause an upset stomach. Ask your doctor if parsley juice can help you.
- Another herb that may be beneficial in clearing up inner ear fluid is parsley.
- of pure parsley juice at a time, as it can cause an upset stomach.
Garlic has antibacterial properties and may help to relieve any problems with infections associated with the fluid in your ear. According to an article written by Steven Horne for the Organic Authority, pouring a few drops of olive oil onto a crushed clove a garlic and applying the oily liquid to the entrance of your ear may ward off any issues and further complications from the buildup of fluid. It is important to consult your doctor before using garlic or any other herbs to aid in the treatment of fluid buildup in the inner ear.
How to Clean Ear Wax With Mineral Oil
How to Dry Out a Sinus That Is Congested With Mucus
How to Rid Smells in My Ears
Can You Remove Ear Wax with Baby Oil?
Are There Herbs That Dissolve Intestinal Mucus?
Ear Infections and Salt Water
Herbs That Clean the Lungs
How to Get Rid of Flaky Earwax
Benefits of Marshmallow Root Tea
- MotherNature: Water Retention
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Dandelion
- YourHealing: Parsley as a Natural Diuretic
- Organic Authority: How to Rapidly Relieve an Earache, Using Supplies You Probably Already Have in Your Home
- Therapeutic Research Center - Natural Medicines. Parsley.
- Kaefer, Christine M., and John A. Milner. “The Role of Herbs and Spices in Cancer Prevention.” The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry 19.6 (2008): 347–361.
- Alyami, Fahad & Rabah, Danny. Effect of drinking parsley leaf tea on urinary composition and urinary stones′ risk factors. Saudi journal of kidney diseases and transplantation: an official publication of the Saudi Center for Organ Transplantation, Saudi Arabia. 22. 511-4.
Jennifer Smith has been writing professionally since 2000. She has written and published several articles on various websites including FITDAY and HealthNews and worked with start-up companies to establish content for their websites. Smith has a Bachelor of Arts in liberal studies with concentrations in English and creative writing from Bowling Green State University.