Herbs for Vaginal Health
It is common practice among herbologists to prescribe herbs for the support of vaginal and reproductive health. Acknowledged by the University of Maryland Medical Center as a "time-honored approach to strengthening the body," it is important to remember that herbs are powerful medicines, and they can cause negative side effects if you are already taking medication 1. Consult your doctor before taking herbs to ensure a beneficial experience.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Red raspberry is often an ingredient in supplements intended to alleviate vaginal dryness and overall health. Herbologists do prescribe red raspberry to support the health of your uterus as well. Red raspberry is a common folk remedy for women post-partum to restore balance and health to the reproductive organs.
Herbs to Get Rid of Fibroids
Black Cohosh is an estogenic herb used to treat women's reproductive health. Often prescribed to relieve vaginal dryness caused by menopause, black cohosh is not to be confused with blue cohosh, which has different uses. Originally used in Native American folk remedies, black cohosh is also used to treat premenstrual symptoms and menstrual cramps. The University of Maryland notes that the herb's effectiveness has not been clinically tested beyond 6 months of use 1.
- Black Cohosh is an estogenic herb used to treat women's reproductive health.
- Originally used in Native American folk remedies, black cohosh is also used to treat premenstrual symptoms and menstrual cramps.
Pau d'arco & Tea Tree Oil
Pau d'arco and tea tree oil are recommended by the University of Maryland's Medical Center as antifungal herbs that can be effective to treat and prevent yeast infections 1. Pau d'arco is a bark that should be boiled to prepare a tea. To prepare the tea, use 2 tbs. bark to 1 quart of water and drink 3 to 6 cups per day. Tea tree oil should not be ingested. Instead, tea tree oil can be used to prepare a douche or topical ointment.
- Pau d'arco and tea tree oil are recommended by the University of Maryland's Medical Center as antifungal herbs that can be effective to treat and prevent yeast infections 1.
- Pau d'arco is a bark that should be boiled to prepare a tea.
Herbs to Get Rid of Fibroids
Herbs That Stop Heavy Bleeding With Fibroids
Herbs to Cleanse the Uterus
Herbal Treatment for Chlamydia
Chasteberry Extract for Fibroids
Herbs That Raise Estrogen Level
What Herbs to Use for Blocked Fallopian Tubes
Is Vitex Safe in Pregnancy?
Herbs to Decrease Testosterone
Does Red Raspberry Leaf Tea Help Postpartum Bleeding?
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Candidiasis
- Office of Dietary Supplements. Black Cohosh. Updated August 30, 2018.
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. Black Cohosh. Updated September 2016.
- Leach MJ, Moore V. Black cohosh (Cimicifuga spp.) for menopausal symptoms. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012;(9):CD007244. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD007244.pub2
- Borrelli F, Ernst E. Black cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa): a systematic review of adverse events. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008;199(5):455-66. doi:10.1016/j.ajog.2008.05.007
- Szmyd M, Lloyd V, Hallman K, et al. The effects of black cohosh on the regulation of estrogen receptor (ERα) and progesterone receptor (PR) in breast cancer cells. Breast Cancer (Dove Med Press). 2018;10:1–11. doi:10.2147/BCTT.S144865
- Avis NE, Coeytaux RR, Isom S, Prevette K, Morgan T. Acupuncture in Menopause (AIM) study: a pragmatic, randomized controlled trial. Menopause. 2016;23(6):626–637. doi:10.1097/GME.0000000000000597
- Geller SE, Studee L. Botanical and dietary supplements for menopausal symptoms: what works, what does not. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2005;14(7):634–649. doi:10.1089/jwh.2005.14.634
Sala Saran is a bi-athlete and certified personal fitness trainer who is passionate about the life-transformative power of sports and fitness. Teaching a holistic perspective of the fitness lifestyle that is rooted in personal development, Saran shares her expertise in articles, columns and seminars to lead others to a discovery of their own power to transform their life experience.