Fruit & Vegetable Cleansing Diet
Feeling healthy and strong starts on the inside. This feeling can be achieved through healthy cleansing, also known as detoxification. Detoxification helps you remove toxic substances from your body, in turn strengthening the body itself. Some of the body's main detoxification organs include the kidneys, skin and liver. One form of cleansing is through a diet of fruit and vegetables. This food group is beneficial as it is low in calories and high in nutrients and fiber. According to the American Council on Exercise, "Research has shown that people who eat more fruits and vegetables have a lower risk of diseases like stroke, cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, certain cancers and coronary heart disease. Fruits and vegetables should be an integral part of a weight-control diet, a training diet and an everyday diet."
Before starting a cleanse, identify the fruits and vegetables that will benefit your body the most. Papayas contain an enzyme called papain which helps digest proteins. It helps maintain digestive health and maximizes the utilization of proteins during the cleansing period. Papayas are dense in nutrients and fiber, which make them an important part of a cleansing diet. Some other fruits that are helpful during cleansing include pineapple, pomegranate and blackberries, as they help kill intestinal parasites. Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower also help eliminate toxins from the body.
- Before starting a cleanse, identify the fruits and vegetables that will benefit your body the most.
- Some other fruits that are helpful during cleansing include pineapple, pomegranate and blackberries, as they help kill intestinal parasites.
Glycerine Vs. Glycol
Juicing is a great way to consume the fruit and vegetables you need for cleansing. Juicing diets consist of drinking freshly blended fruit and vegetables in order to cleanse the internal organs and cells, resulting in weight loss. Since you will be drinking juice as opposed to eating solid meals, you may feel more hungry throughout the course of the day. Drink a variety of fruits and vegetables every two to three hours in order to combat hunger and retain energy.
- Juicing is a great way to consume the fruit and vegetables you need for cleansing.
- Juicing diets consist of drinking freshly blended fruit and vegetables in order to cleanse the internal organs and cells, resulting in weight loss.
According to MayoClinic, most detox diets last seven to 10 days. A typical fruit and vegetable cleansing diet should be followed for a short period of time. The body needs a variety of nutrients in order to remain healthy, allowing the body to function at its best. Proteins such as chicken and fish, and good fats like avocado should be included in your regular diet as they help build muscles and provide energy for daily living activities.
- According to MayoClinic, most detox diets last seven to 10 days.
- Proteins such as chicken and fish, and good fats like avocado should be included in your regular diet as they help build muscles and provide energy for daily living activities.
Some benefits of fruit and vegetable cleansing include daily bowel movements, as these whole foods provide fiber that help you stay regular. Cleansing can also help increase energy, combat fatigue and remove excess waste from the colon, in turn resulting in weight loss. Excess toxins can cause acne and cleansing helps open pores resulting in healthier, clear skin.
Removing certain foods from your diet for an extended period of time can result in low blood-sugar levels, dehydration, fatigue, dizziness and nausea. Remember that pregnant women and young children should not begin a fruit and vegetable-only cleanse until consulting with a doctor. According to Harvard Medical School, the diet is lacking in protein, fatty acids and other essential nutrients" Current mothers and mothers-to-be need these essential nutrients for their growing babies and young children, as they are an important part of their developmental process.
Glycerine Vs. Glycol
Cleansing Fruits for the Stomach
What Are the Side Effects of Whole Body Cleansing?
Radish Liver Cleanse Diet
About the 365 Complete Body Cleanse
Paprika Lemon Water Cleanse
Can You Detox the Liver With Lemon and Olive Oil?
How to Kill Parasites With Activated Charcoal
Aloe and Cranberry Juice Cleanse
- American Council on Exercise: The Value of Fruit and Vegetables
- Mayo Clinic: Diet Detox
- "201 Secrets to Healthy Living"; Don Colbert, MD; 2010
- Harvard Medical School: The Dubious Practic of Detox
- Tarun J, Susan V, Susan J, Suria J, Criton S. Evaluation of pH of bathing soaps and shampoos for skin and hair care. Indian J Dermatol. 2014;59(5):442. doi:10.4103/0019-5154.139861
- Facial Cleansing for Rosacea | Rosacea.org. Rosacea.org.
- Flament F, Francois G, Qiu H et al. Facial skin pores: a multiethnic study. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2015:85. doi:10.2147/ccid.s74401
- Tang S, Yang J. Dual Effects of Alpha-Hydroxy Acids on the Skin. Molecules. 2018;23(4):863. doi:10.3390/molecules23040863
- "Acne." AcneNet. 2007. American Academy of Dermatology.
- Gerson, Joel; Ph.D.. Standard Textbook for Professional Estheticians. 8th edition. Albany, NY: Milady Publishing, 1999.
- United States. NIAMS. Questions and Answers About Acne. Bethesda, MD: National Institutes of Health, 2006.
Fabiola Francisque began writing in 2010 for various websites. She is a healthy lifestyles director, Aerobics and Fitness Association of America certification examiner and personal trainer/group exercise instructor in New York City. Francisque holds a Bachelor of Arts in psychology from New York University and a Master of Science in health science and exercise physiology from Long Island University.