Foods That Break Down Lactic Acid Buildup
Many athletes, particularly runners, will experience lactic acid buildup in their muscles following a strenuous workout or run. This happens more frequently if you take time off from your normal workout or running routine, then jump back into it again. Although the best defense to break down lactic acid is to workout and run more, certain foods will also help.
The most important thing to remember when choosing foods to fight off lactic acid buildup is to select alkaline, non-acidic, foods. Many fruits are alkaline and can aid in reducing lactic acid buildup. Avocados not only help to reduce lactic acid, but are also full of "good fat" (high-density lipoprotein). Tomatoes, limes, grapefruits and rhubarb are also alkaline fruits that can help break down lactic acid. For a refreshing drink after a workout, squeeze a fresh lemon into your water. The alkaline lemon will help breakdown lactic acid while adding a little refreshing taste to your water.
- The most important thing to remember when choosing foods to fight off lactic acid buildup is to select alkaline, non-acidic, foods.
- Tomatoes, limes, grapefruits and rhubarb are also alkaline fruits that can help break down lactic acid.
How to Raise Body pH Level Quickly
Almost all vegetables are alkaline and healthy to eat after a long, hard workout or run. Eating your green veggies, such as spinach, lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cucumber, kale, celery and green beans will help to fight off lactic acid buildup. Artichokes, onions, cauliflower, radish, courgette, leeks, turnips, carrots, garlic and chives are also alkaline. After a tough workout, prepare a big salad using different kinds of vegetables. For dressing, add a little flax or olive oil--both are alkaline, as well.
- Almost all vegetables are alkaline and healthy to eat after a long, hard workout or run.
Nuts and Seeds
Nuts and seeds, like avocados, contain "good fat" that can help make your hair shinier, lower your blood pressure and make your skin healthier. Certain nuts and seeds, such as pumpkin, sunflower and flax seeds, help to reduce lactic acid buildup after a long workout or run. Almonds are a great alkaline snack that helps, as well.
How to Raise Body pH Level Quickly
List of Alkaline Fruits & Vegetables
Free List of Healthy Low-Fat Foods
What Drink Will Increase the pH Level of My Body?
Foods That Turn to Acid When You Eat Them
List of Non-Acidic Fruits & Vegetables
Is Eggplant Good for Gout?
List of Foods With Healthy Fats
Weight-Loss Diet Sample Meal Plan
Fruits That Clean Clogged Arteries
- Bright Hub: Importance of Alkaline Foods For Athletes
- Energise For Life: List of Alkaline Foods
- WebMD: The Avocado Advantage
- Yale-New Haven Hospital: Nuts Are Good For You
- Tang SC, Yang JH. Dual effects of alpha-hydroxy acids on the skin. Molecules. 2018;23(4):863. doi:10.3390/molecules23040863
- Spada F, Barnes TM, Greive KA. Skin hydration is significantly increased by a cream formulated to mimic the skin's own natural moisturizing systems. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2018;11:491–497. doi:10.2147/CCID.S177697
- Cleveland Clinic. Understanding the ingredients in skin care products. Updated March 1, 2015.
- American Academy of Dermatology. Keratosis pilaris: Diagnosis and treatment.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Alpha hydroxy acids. Updated May 7, 2019.
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Chemical peel.
- Lee CM. Fifty years of research and development of cosmeceuticals: A contemporary review. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology. 2016 Dec;15(4):527-539. doi:10.1111/jocd.12261
Andrea Griffith has been writing professionally since 2005. Her work has been published by the "Western Herald," Detroit WDIV, USAToday and other print, broadcast and online publications. Although she writes about a wide range of topics, her areas of expertise include fashion, beauty, technology and education. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in journalism and English from Western Michigan University.