Dentures are designed to withstand daily wear, but bad things happen and your partial may crack, break or even lose teeth. If you are on vacation or Christmas break, it is unlikely you will get into the dentist the same or next day. Don’t panic. It is possible to do your own at-home repair and smile through your holiday photos.
There are several over-the-counter denture repair kits available (see references). Most repair kits contain a denture-approved adhesive, replacement teeth and a filing device. For breaks along the plate itself, use the adhesive to create a temporary bond. Use the filing implement to remove any rough edges that may poke your mouth.
- There are several over-the-counter denture repair kits available (see references).
- Most repair kits contain a denture-approved adhesive, replacement teeth and a filing device.
How to Glue Broken Dentures
Do not fix your dentures with Super or Crazy Glue 3. It may be tempting to grab whatever is handy to fix your partial plate, but you could be doing more harm than good. Industrial glues contain chemicals that are hazardous if ingested. Long term exposure could cause an allergic reaction and deteriorate your teeth and gums. In addition, the adhesive in superglue is flexible and may cause the crack to act more like a hinge than a solid piece, making the denture uncomfortable.
- Do not fix your dentures with Super or Crazy Glue 3.
- In addition, the adhesive in superglue is flexible and may cause the crack to act more like a hinge than a solid piece, making the denture uncomfortable.
Make a Dentist Appointment
Ultimately, your original dentist will have to make any permanent repairs. Since most breakages are due to improper fitting, the dentist may want to remold the plate to prevent a future breakage.
How to Glue Broken Dentures
What Materials Do I Use to Repair Broken Dentures?
What Is the Difference Between Dental Bonding & Veneers?
What Can I Use to Glue a Tooth on a Denture?
How to Make Your Own Tooth Caps
What do Partial Dentures Cost?
Side Effects of Dental Crowns and Full Mouth Reconstruction
How to Make Homemade Porcelain Veneers pictures
Disadvantages of Ceramic Braces
How to Glue Broken Dental Plastic
- Dental Health Directory: Safe Home Repair: Dentures - Bridgework
- Dental Health Directory: Super Glue Teeth Repair?
- Beauty Cosmetic Guide: Dentures Repair Kit
- Google: Shopping Results for "denture repair kit"
- The American College of Prosthodontists "Who is a Prosthodontist?"
- The American Dental Association. "Dentures FAQ"
- The National Denturist Association. "What Denturists Do."
Transplanted Yankee Erin Watson-Price lives in Birmingham, Ala., and has been writing freelance articles since 1997. She worked as writer/co-editor for Coast to Coast Dachshund Rescue's newsletter, "The Long and the Short of It." In 2007 she obtained a certification as a copy editor. Watson-Price holds a Bachelor of Arts in creative writing from Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville.