Effexor and Effexor XR are similar antidepressant compounds 14. However, Effexor XR is also prescribed for anxiety disorders, as well as depression 14. Effexor XR dissolves over a prolonged period, while Effexor is an immediate-release medication 14. The drug manufacturer, Wyeth Pharmaceutical notes that both Effexor products provide the same dosage, but have a different chemical release timetables 3. Depending on the prescribed dosage, a patient may need to take additional pills of Effexor to compensate for this effect.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Effexor, the brand name of the generic drug venlafaxine hydrochloride, is an antidepressant, and part of a class of drugs called serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, or SNRIs 2. It is prescribed to treat symptoms of depression. The Merck Manual advises that Effexor and Effexor XR present medication safety issues because they are look-a-like and sound-a-like medications 14. However, Effexor immediate release peaks potency in the body within two to three hours, if taken at regular intervals. The body elimination rate is the same for both Effexor products. Effexor, taken with food, is generally prescribed in two to three dosages per day to regulate the medication in the bloodstream.
- Effexor, the brand name of the generic drug venlafaxine hydrochloride, is an antidepressant, and part of a class of drugs called serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, or SNRIs 2.
- Effexor, taken with food, is generally prescribed in two to three dosages per day to regulate the medication in the bloodstream.
What Are the Dangers of Seroquel Withdrawal?
Effexor XR, the brand name of venlafaxine hydrochloride XR, is also an antidepressant and part of the class of drugs called SNRIs 14. However, in addition to treating depression, Effexor XR is also prescribed for panic disorders, anxiety disorders and social phobias, according to the eMedTV website 14. The Merck Manual notes that Effexor XR peaks potency in the body within 5 1/2 to 9 hours with regular dosages and maintains its efficacy 14. It is prescribed once daily with food, allowing the body more time to adjust to the medication.
Additional Information Regarding Effexor Products
According to the Food and Drug Administration, Effexor XR and Effexor are absorbed in the bloodstream with approximately 87 percent of the venlafaxine hydrochloride dose found in the urine within 48 hours as the unchanged medication 124. Both Effexor products pass through the system with only 13 percent of this medication remaining in the body despite the timetable release. The Merck Manual recommends that prescriptions be written for the smallest quantities to ensure this absorption rate 1. They also note that the patient's family or responsible persons monitor patients for signs or symptoms of suicidal behavior, as well as lethargy, listlessness, anxiety, agitation, apathy, insomnia, irritability, impulsive behavior and mania. In addition, patients should contact their doctors if any symptoms of depression, panic or anxiety worsen.
What Are the Dangers of Seroquel Withdrawal?
Allegra D Vs. Claritin D
Zoloft & Vitamin B12 Absorption
The Ingredients in Adipex Diet Pills
Is There a Difference in Adipex & Phentermine Effectiveness?
Symptoms When Stopping Lexapro
The Best Appetite Suppressant Pills
Ritalin and Metabolism
How to Take 5-HTP Along With Venlafaxine
Can I Take 5-HTP With Effexor?
- Merck Manual: Effexor XR
- The Food and Drug Administration: Effexor
- Pfizer Manufacturer: Effexor XR
- eMedTV: Effexor XR
- Shelton RC. Serotonin and Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors. Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2019;250:145-180. doi:10.1007/164_2018_164
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Effexor XR (venlafaxine Extended-Release) Capsules. Updated 2017.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Effexor. Updated 2006.
- Ye C, Ninneman M, Christian JS, Zhang F, Musselman D. Seizure Induced by a Therapeutic Dose of Venlafaxine ER: A Case Report. J Psychiatr Pract. 2018;24(2):117-120. doi:10.1097/PRA.0000000000000298
- Patel R, Reiss P, Shetty H, et al. Do antidepressants increase the risk of mania and bipolar disorder in people with depression? A retrospective electronic case register cohort study. BMJ Open. 2015;5(12):e008341. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2015-008341
- "Venlafaxine." MedLine Plus, U.S. National Library of Medicine (2014).
Suann Schuster has been working as a freelance writer since 2004. She served as an item writer for McGraw-Hill Education and a curriculum author. Schuster now provides content for Science and Massage Therapy texts for McGraw-Hill, as well as for test banks. She holds a Ph.D. in psychology from the University of Sedona.