What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Allegra D and Claritin D are both used to treat allergic rhinitis, or hay fever symptoms with sinus congestion, according to Drugs.com 12. Both drugs use the combination of an antihistamine and decongestant to address the symptoms of sneezing, a runny nose, congestion, eye irritation and postnasal drip. Consult with an allergist to determine the best treatment approach.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Both drugs use the same decongestant drug, pseudoephedrine, to treat nasal congestion. Pseudoephedrine works by restricting blood flow to the sinus cavity, reducing inflammation. This drug can increase a person’s heart rate and make the user feel excited or irritable. Both drugs are available in 12 or 24 hour doses, according to Drugs.com 12. They both use an antihistamine that is classified as non-sedating.
- Both drugs use the same decongestant drug, pseudoephedrine, to treat nasal congestion.
How Does Mucinex Work?
Allegra D’s active antihistamine ingredient is fexofenadine, while Claritin D uses loratadine 12. Fexofenadine is not for everyone and should not be administered to children under 2 without a doctor’s recommendation, according to the National Library of Medicine. Allegra D is acquired by prescription only, while Claritin D is available over-the-counter 12. In some states Claritin D is kept behind the counter at pharmacies because of the pseudoephedrine component 1.
The function of both medications is two-fold. The function of fexofenadine and loratadine is to block the body’s ability to produce histamine, the hormone that causes allergy symptoms. Taking either of these medications will inhibit the mast cells in the body from over-producing histamine, according to Drugs.com 12. The decongestant ingredient is for the purpose of reducing nasal congestion so the user can breathe normally.
- The function of both medications is two-fold.
- Taking either of these medications will inhibit the mast cells in the body from over-producing histamine, according to Drugs.com 1.
Drugs Used in Nebulizers
Claritin D side effects include:
- dry mouth
- loss of appetite
- ringing in the ears
- blurred vision
- skin rash
- fast heartbeat
- easy bruising
- mental confusion
- according to Drugs.com 12
Claritin D is less expensive and time-consuming to obtain because it is available over-the-counter 1. Many generic medications are available with the same active ingredients as Claritin D. Allegra D is more expensive than Claritin D and has one generic counterpart currently available according to Drugs.com. 12.
How Does Mucinex Work?
Drugs Used in Nebulizers
The Ingredients in Adipex Diet Pills
Can I Take 5-HTP With Effexor?
What is the Difference Between Albuterol & Pulmicort?
Tylenol PM Ingredients
Allegra Vs. Singulair
How to Take Dramamine to Fall Asleep
Claritin & Iron Deficiency Anemia
Zyrtec for Infants
- Drugs.com: Claritin D
- Drugs.com: Allegra D
- Church MK. Allergy, histamine and antihistamines. Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2017;241:321-331. doi:10.1007/164_2016_85
- Claritin. Products.
- Gray SL, Anderson ML, Dublin S, et al. Cumulative use of strong anticholinergics and incident dementia: a prospective cohort study. JAMA Intern Med. 2015;175(3):401-7. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2014.7663
- Gilboa SM, Ailes EC, Rai RP, Anderson JA, Honein MA. Antihistamines and birth defects: a systematic review of the literature. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2014;13(12):1667-98. doi:10.1517/14740338.2014.970164
- Liu G, Zhou X, Chen J, Liu F. Oral antihistamines alone vs in combination with leukotriene receptor antagonists for allergic rhinitis: a meta-analysis. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2018;158(3):450-458. doi:10.1177/0194599817752624
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Full prescribing information: Claritin.
Diane Marks started her writing career in 2010 and has been in health care administration for more than 30 years. She holds a registered nurse license from Citizens General Hospital School of Nursing, a Bachelor of Arts in health care education from California University of Pennsylvania and a Master of Science in health administration from the University of Pittsburgh.