Cod Liver Oil and Diabetes
Diabetes is a chronic disease in which the body is unable to produce and use insulin properly. A key function of insulin is to help convert glucose to energy; thus, diabetics have higher than normal levels of glucose in the blood. In 2007, over 23 million Americans -- 7.8 percent of the U.S. population -- had diabetes. Conventional treatment includes oral medication and insulin.
Cod liver oil is a natural supplement that has been evaluated for benefits in managing diabetes. While studies have been positive, further research is needed to confirm the benefits of cod liver oil for this condition. If you have diabetes and are considering taking cod liver oil, talk to your doctor first.
Like fish oil, cod liver oil is an important source of omega-3 essential fatty acids. This supplement also contains vitamins A and D. Supplementation with cod liver oil during pregnancy protects the babies from developing Type 1 diabetes, suggests a research team, based on a study published in June 2000 issue of “Diabetologia.” This population-based case control study was conducted in Norway, and authors that think omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D from cod liver oil have protective effects against developing Type 1 diabetes.
Acarbose for Weight Loss
In a study involving animal subjects, the treatment of diabetes with cod liver oil helped to control glucose levels and also had anti-oxidant properties, according to a study published in December 2002 issue of “Cell Biochemistry and Function.” The authors also found that subjects who took cod liver oil had healthier levels of cholesterol in the blood and better weight management. Since diabetes is often associated with high cholesterol and overweight, it appears cod liver oil may help with both fat metabolism and glucose control in diabetics.
Consuming more than 1 tsp of cod liver oil daily may cause bleeding, and may interfere with blood thinning medication or herbs. Cod liver oil may cause allergic reactions in susceptible individuals. Choose wisely the supplement that you will take, as some fish oils contain heavy metals and other toxic products, warns Mayo Clinic.
L-Carnitine & Diabetes
If you have diabetes and want to add cod liver oil to your diet, ask your doctor about dosage, possible side effects, drug interactions and other natural supplements that might help. Diet and exercise also help improve your blood sugar levels. Cod liver oil should not be used to replace standard drugs for diabetes.
Acarbose for Weight Loss
L-Carnitine & Diabetes
Aspavor Side Effects
Home Remedy for an Infected Pimple
Is it Safe to Take Inositol With an SSRI?
Diabetics and Butter
The Best Food for Diabetics to Eat
Dandelion Root & Diabetes
Soybean Oil Nutrition Facts
Alternatives for Januvia
- American Diabetes Association: Diabetes, Statistics
- "Diabetologia"; Use of Cod Liver Oil During Pregnancy Associated with Lower Risk of Type I Diabetes in the Offspring ; LC.Stene et al; June 2000
- “Cell Biochemistry and Function”; Effects of Cod Liver oil on Tissue Antioxidant Pathways in Normal and Streptozotocin-Diabetic Rats; T. Hunkar et al; December 2002
- Mayo Clinic: Fish Oil, Safety
- Mozaffarian, Dariush MD, DrPH. Fish oil and marine omega-3 fatty acids. UpToDate. Waltham, MA: UpToDate. Jan 23, 2019
- Cod Liver Oil. Medline Plus. U.S. National Library of Medicine. 08/15/2018
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids. Fact Sheet for Consumers. National Institutes of Health. Office of Dietary Supplements. November 21, 2018
- Eysteinsdottir T, Halldorsson TI, Thorsdottir I, et al. Cod liver oil consumption at different periods of life and bone mineral density in old age. Br J Nutr. 2015;114(2):248-56.
- Lentjes MA, Welch AA, Mulligan AA, Luben RN, Wareham NJ, Khaw KT. Cod liver oil supplement consumption and health: cross-sectional results from the EPIC-Norfolk cohort study. Nutrients. 2014;6(10):4320–4337. Published 2014 Oct 16. doi:10.3390/nu6104320
- Mavroeidi A, Aucott L, Black AJ, Fraser WD, Reid DM, Macdonald HM. Seasonal variation in 25(OH)D at Aberdeen (57°N) and bone health indicators--could holidays in the sun and cod liver oil supplements alleviate deficiency?. PLoS ONE. 2013;8(1):e53381.
- Mozaffarian, Dariush MD, DrPH. Fish oil and marine omega-3 fatty acids. Waltham, MA: Jan 23, 2019
- National Institutes of Health. "Fish oil: MedlinePlus Supplements". August 2018.
Brindusa Vanta is an alternative health care doctor who has been writing since 2006. She has written for the Oakville Massage Community and Information Network, and she focuses on nutrition and homeopathy. She received her medical degree from Iuliu Hatieganu University of Medicine, Romania, and her homeopathic diploma from Ontario College of Homeopathic Medicine.