Memory lapses happen to everyone at times. Your teen may forget where he placed homework or what time you told him to go to his doctor's appointment. These lapses are normal glitches that occur within his brain because it's busy sorting, storing and recalling other details. Worry about your teen's memory loss when his lack of information disrupts his daily life 2. Memory loss isn't always permanent--seek medical attention if your teen has trouble completing everyday tasks 2.
Prescribed and over-the-counter medications can interfere with your teen's memory because of possible altered consciousness effects. Such medications include:
- sleeping pills
- anti-anxiety medications
- pain medications
How Can a Teenage Girl Lose 40 Lbs. In Six Months?
Alcohol abuse may cause memory deficits. Thiamine deficiencies occur when people use alcohol heavily. In addition to possible memory loss from thiamine deficiencies, alcohol also can change chemicals within your teen's brain--this also can affect her memory 2.
Trauma to your teen's head can affect his memory. Memory loss from head trauma typically won't worsen, but will stay the same or improve 2. If your teen continues activity immediately after taking a blow to his head, serious injury is unlikely. However, closely watch your teen for 24 hours after the incident.
- Trauma to your teen's head can affect his memory.
- However, closely watch your teen for 24 hours after the incident.
Loss of Appetite in Teens
Depression causes a lack of attention and focus, which can prevent your teen from creating or recalling memory. Impaired concentration can cause memory deficits. Treating depression can help sharpen your teen's memory.
Stress and Anxiety
Stress and anxiety from emotional trauma can cause memory loss 2. Psychogenic amnesia is rare but can result from extreme emotional stress. This condition can cause your teen to forget where he lives, his name or even his birth date.
Illness that damages the brain could explain why your teen struggles with her memory. Such diseases as HIV, tuberculosis, syphilis and herpes can attack the brain and cause memory problems.
Lack of sleep can affect your teen's memory. Feeling tired can make your teen too unaware of his surroundings to create a memory, or it can inhibit his memory recall.
Dissociative disorder can cause your teen to lose her short-term or long-term memory. This disorder occurs when your teen experiences a traumatic event--it's a coping response to block memory.
Lack of Oxygen
When your teen's brain doesn't receive a sufficient supply of oxygen, it may affect his memory. If your teen has experienced an episode where he stopped breathing, his heart stopped pumping or he had complications with anesthesia, his brain may have experienced damage because of a lack of oxygen.
How Can a Teenage Girl Lose 40 Lbs. In Six Months?
Loss of Appetite in Teens
Shortness of Breath in Teens
The Effects of Teenage Rebellion
Teenagers With Insecurity Symptoms
The Best Vitamins for a Teenage Boy
Can a Teenager Lose 30 Pounds in 4 Months ?
How to Stimulate Appetite in the Elderly
How to Boost the Immune System in Teenagers
Growth Charts for Determining Normal Teen Weight
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration: Coping with Memory Loss
- MedlinePlus: Memory Loss
- National Institute on Aging. Do memory problems always mean Alzheimer's disease?. Updated January 24, 2018.
- Yaribeygi H, Panahi Y, Sahraei H, Johnston TP, Sahebkar A. The impact of stress on body function: A review. EXCLI J. 2017;16:1057-1072. doi:10.17179/excli2017-480
- Schweizer S, Kievit RA, Emery T, Cam CAN, Henson RN. Symptoms of depression in a large healthy population cohort are related to subjective memory complaints and memory performance in negative contexts. Psychol Med. 2018;48(1):104-114. doi:10.1017/S0033291717001519
- Robinson OJ, Vytal K, Cornwell BR, Grillon C. The impact of anxiety upon cognition: Perspectives from human threat of shock studies. Front Hum Neurosci. 2013;7:203. doi:10.3389/fnhum.2013.00203
- Shear MK. Grief and mourning gone awry: pathway and course of complicated grief. Dialogues Clin Neurosci. 2012;14(2):119-128.
- Ridley NJ, Draper B, Withall A. Alcohol-related dementia: An update of the evidence. Alzheimers Res Ther. 2013;5(1):3. doi:10.1186/alzrt157
- Henderson FM, Cross AJ, Baraniak AR. 'A new normal with chemobrain': Experiences of the impact of chemotherapy-related cognitive deficits in long-term breast cancer survivors. Health Psychol Open. 2019;6(1):2055102919832234. doi:10.1177/2055102919832234
- Fredericks S. Memory loss following coronary artery bypass graft surgery: a discussion of the implications for nursing. Can J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2012;22(2):33-36.
- Ancelin ML, de Roquefeuil G, Scali J, et al. Long-term post-operative cognitive decline in the elderly: the effects of anesthesia type, apolipoprotein E genotype, and clinical antecedents. J Alzheimers Dis. 2010;22 Suppl 3:105-113. doi:10.3233/JAD-2010-100807
- Getty SS, Faziola LR. Adverse effects of electroconvulsive therapy on cognitive performance. Ment Illn. 2017;9(2):7181. doi:10.4081/mi.2017.7181
- Fortier-Brochu E, Beaulieu-Bonneau S, Ivers H, Morin CM. Insomnia and daytime cognitive performance: A meta-analysis. Sleep Med Rev. 2012;16(1):83-94. doi:10.1016/j.smrv.2011.03.008
- Shively S, Scher AI, Perl DP, Diaz-Arrastia R. Dementia resulting from traumatic brain injury: What is the pathology? Arch Neurol. 2012;69(10):1245-1251. doi:10.1001/archneurol.2011.3747
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Returning to sports and activities. Updated February 12, 2019.
- Health Quality Ontario. Vitamin B12 and cognitive function: an evidence-based analysis. Ont Health Technol Assess Ser. 2013;13(23):1-45.
- Samuels MH. Psychiatric and cognitive manifestations of hypothyroidism. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2014;21(5):377-383. doi:10.1097/MED.0000000000000089
- Bronas UG, Puzantian H, Hannan M. Cognitive impairment in chronic kidney disease: Vascular milieu and the potential therapeutic role of exercise. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:2726369. doi:10.1155/2017/2726369
- Ciećko-Michalska I, Wójcik J, Senderecka M, et al. Cognitive functions in patients with liver cirrhosis: a tendency to commit more memory errors. Med Sci Monit. 2013;19:283-288. doi:10.12659/MSM.883890
- Venkatesan A, Geocadin RG. Diagnosis and management of acute encephalitis: A practical approach. Neurol Clin Pract. 2014;4(3):206-215. doi:10.1212/CPJ.0000000000000036
- Williams MA, Malm J. Diagnosis and treatment of idiopathic normal pressure hydrocephalus. Continuum (Minneap Minn). 2016;22(2):579-599. doi:10.1212/CON.0000000000000305
- Davies SJ, Lum JA, Skouteris H, Byrne LK, Hayden MJ. Cognitive impairment during pregnancy: a meta-analysis. Med J Aust. 2018;208(1):35-40. doi:10.5694/mja17.00131
- Sliwinski JR, Johnson AK, Elkins GR. Memory decline in peri- and post-menopausal women: The potential of mind-body medicine to improve cognitive performance. Integr Med Insights. 2014;9:17-23. doi:10.4137/IMI.S15682
- National Institute on Aging. Memory, forgetfulness, and aging: What's normal and what's not?. Updated May 17, 2017.
- American Stroke Association. Memory loss. Updated March 15, 2019.
- Van Rooij FG, Schaapsmeerders P, Maaijwee NA, et al. Persistent cognitive impairment after transient ischemic attack. Stroke. 2014;45(8):2270-2274. doi:10.1161/STROKEAHA.114.005205
- Durand T, Berzero G, Bompaire F, et al. Episodic memory impairments in primary brain tumor patients. Arch Clin Neuropsychol. 2018;33(8):949-955. doi:10.1093/arclin/acx138
- Ahuja S, Chen RK, Kam K, Pettibone WD, Osorio RS, Varga AW. Role of normal sleep and sleep apnea in human memory processing. Nat Sci Sleep. 2018;10:255-269. doi:10.2147/NSS.S125299
- Uncapher MR, Thieu MK, Wagner AD. Media multitasking and memory: Differences in working memory and long-term memory. Psychon Bull Rev. 2016;23(2):483-490. doi:10.3758/s13423-015-0907-3
- Langa KM, Levine DA. The diagnosis and management of mild cognitive impairment: A clinical review. JAMA. 2014;312(23):2551-2561. doi:10.1001/jama.2014.13806
- National Institute on Aging. Alzheimer's disease fact sheet. Updated May 22, 2019.
- Alzheimer's Association. Types of dementia.
- Georgakis MK, Dimitriou NG, Karalexi MA, et al. Albuminuria in association with cognitive function and dementia: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017;65(6):1190-1198. doi:10.1111/jgs.14750
Kerry Williams has been working as a freelance writer since 1999. Her work has appeared in numerous publications, including "Parenting Toddlers with Special Needs," "Christian Parenting Handbook" and online at Hard2Config. Williams holds a Bachelor of Arts in English from Ball State University and an associate degree in surgical technology from National College.