What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
To have a burning sensation in your legs can be quite debilitating. People often feel a partial numbness or a pins and needles type of sensation along with the burning. Symptoms can start out as a tingling feeling, then turn into numbness. According to Wrong Diagnosis, “any type of tingling, burning or numbness is usually a symptom related to a sensory nerve being damaged, diseased or injured.”
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
There are a multitude of causes for a burning sensation in your lower leg. Some of those causes are diabetes, vitamin deficiencies, sciatica, peripheral neuropathy, deep vein thrombosis, sunburn, chemical burn, leg injury and many more 2.cause:
- Some of those causes are diabetes
- vitamin deficiencies
- peripheral neuropathy
- deep vein thrombosis
- chemical burn
- leg injury
- many more 2
What Are the Causes of Neuropathy in the Feet & Legs?
According to Wrong Diagnosis, diabetes is “a general term for a variety of different metabolic disorders that affect the ability of the body to process and use sugar properly.” Many diabetics are afflicted with diabetic neuropathies, which affect the nerves of the body. It typically affects the legs and feet, but can affect the arms as well. Those afflicted with diabetic neuropathy will experience pain, numbness and a burning sensation 3.
Vitamin B12 is important for proper functioning of the nervous system and brain. According to Lab Tests Online, “a deficiency in B12 can also result in varying degrees of neuropathy, nerve damage that can cause tingling and numbness in the patient's hands and feet, and mental changes that range from confusion and irritability to severe dementia.”
Could Numbness in Feet Be Caused by a Vitamin Deficiency?
Sciatica occurs when there is an undue amount of pressure on the sciatic nerve. According to Wrong Diagnosis, the sciatic nerve is “the main nerve that branches off of the spinal cord and continues down into the thighs, legs, ankles and feet.” Sciatica is characterized by a shooting pain that starts at the back of the buttocks and goes down the backs of the legs. A person can experience lower back pain, buttock pain, leg pain and thigh pain. Symptoms include a burning or tingling sensation down the leg; weakness, numbness or difficulty moving the leg or foot; and a constant pain on one side of the buttock.
- Sciatica occurs when there is an undue amount of pressure on the sciatic nerve.
- Sciatica is characterized by a shooting pain that starts at the back of the buttocks and goes down the backs of the legs.
Peripheral neuropathy is a condition in which the peripheral nerves are damaged. According to Wrong Diagnosis, peripheral neuropathy can result from metabolic disorders, infections, malignancy, inflammation, vitamin deficiencies, diabetes, among others. Symptoms include a burning sensation, numbness, tingling or a prickling sensation that can occur in the legs and feet.
Deep Vein Thrombosis
Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is defined as a blood clot that forms deep within the vein in the leg 2. While this isn't cause for alarm, the problem arises when the blood clot breaks off and travels to the heart and the pulmonary system, causing a pulmonary embolism. Symptoms of DVT include a burning sensation, redness, warmth, tenderness and swelling. Causes of DVT include inactivity and immobility, smoking, trauma to the vein, polycythemia (increased amount of red blood cells) and cancer.
What Are the Causes of Neuropathy in the Feet & Legs?
Could Numbness in Feet Be Caused by a Vitamin Deficiency?
Early Symptoms of HIV-Related Neuropathy
Causes of Fever & Pain in the Leg
What Causes a Burning Sensation in Breast Tissue?
Can Vitamin B Deficiencies Cause Foot Pain?
What Causes Red Blotches on Legs?
What Are the Causes of Leg Pain & Waist Pain?
Causes of Tingling & Burning Sensation in the Legs & Arms
Causes of My Feet Being Numb and Tingly
- E Medicine Health: Leg Pain
- Medicine Net: Deep Vein Thrombosis
- Mayo Clinic: Diabetic Neuropathy
- American Association for Clinical Chemistry: Vitamin B12 Deficiency
- Colloca L, Ludman T, Bouhassira D, et al. Neuropathic pain. Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2017;3:17002. Published 2017 Feb 16. doi:10.1038/nrdp.2017.2
- Lima MA, Maranhão-filho P. What is the essential neurological examination?. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2012;70(12):939-41. doi:10.1590/s0004-282x2012001200007
- Marchettini P, Lacerenza M, Mauri E, Marangoni C. Painful peripheral neuropathies. Curr Neuropharmacol. 2006;4(3):175–181. doi:10.2174/157015906778019536
- Sommer C, Geber C, Young P, Forst R, Birklein F, Schoser B. Polyneuropathies. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2018;115(6):83–90. doi:10.3238/arztebl.2018.083
- Koop LK, Tadi P. Neuroanatomy, Sensory Nerves. [Updated 2019 Apr 7]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-.
- McCorry LK. Physiology of the autonomic nervous system. Am J Pharm Educ. 2007;71(4):78. doi:10.5688/aj710478
- Tracy JA, Dyck PJ. The spectrum of diabetic neuropathies. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am. 2008;19(1):1–v. doi:10.1016/j.pmr.2007.10.010
- Ekabe CJ, Kehbila J, Abanda MH, Kadia BM, Sama CB, Monekosso GL. Vitamin B12 deficiency neuropathy; a rare diagnosis in young adults: a case report. BMC Res Notes. 2017 Jan 28;10(1):72. doi: 10.1186/s13104-017-2393-3
- Dimachkie MM, Barohn RJ. Guillain-Barré syndrome and variants. Neurol Clin. 2013;31(2):491–510. doi:10.1016/j.ncl.2013.01.005
- Menorca RM, Fussell TS, Elfar JC. Nerve physiology: mechanisms of injury and recovery. Hand Clin. 2013;29(3):317–330. doi:10.1016/j.hcl.2013.04.002
- Aroori S, Spence RA. Carpal tunnel syndrome. Ulster Med J. 2008;77(1):6–17. PMID: 18269111
- Cojocaru IM, Cojocaru M, Silosi I, Vrabie CD. Peripheral nervous system manifestations in systemic autoimmune diseases. Maedica (Buchar). 2014 Sep;9(3):289-94.
- Misra UK, Kalita J, Nair PP. Diagnostic approach to peripheral neuropathy. Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 2008;11(2):89–97. doi:10.4103/0972-2327.41875
- Jensen TS, Finnerup NB. Allodynia and hyperalgesia in neuropathic pain: clinical manifestations and mechanisms. Lancet Neurol. 2014;13(9):924-35. doi:10.1016/S1474-4422(14)70102-4
- Aman JE, Elangovan N, Yeh IL, Konczak J. The effectiveness of proprioceptive training for improving motor function: a systematic review. Front Hum Neurosci. 2015;8:1075. Published 2015 Jan 28. doi:10.3389/fnhum.2014.01075
- Desai J, Swash M. Fasciculations: what do we know of their significance?. J Neurol Sci. 1997;152 Suppl 1:S43-8. doi:10.1016/s0022-510x(97)00243-8
- Sommer C, Geber C, Young P, Forst R, Birklein F, Schoser B. Polyneuropathies. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2018 Feb 9;115(6):83-90. doi: 10.3238/arztebl.2018.083.
- Wells R, Tonkin A. Clinical approach to autonomic dysfunction. Intern Med J. 2016;46(10):1134-1139. doi:10.1111/imj.13216
- Chopra K, Tiwari V. Alcoholic neuropathy: possible mechanisms and future treatment possibilities. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2012;73(3):348–362. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2125.2011.04111.x
- Hammond N, Wang Y, Dimachkie MM, Barohn RJ. Nutritional neuropathies. Neurol Clin. 2013;31(2):477–489. doi:10.1016/j.ncl.2013.02.002
- Peltier AC, Russell JW. Recent advances in drug-induced neuropathies. Curr Opin Neurol. 2002;15(5):633-8. doi:10.1097/00019052-200210000-00015
- Crook L, Liu PI, Gadsden RH, Turner RE. Erythrocyte sedimentation, viscosity, and plasma proteins in disease detection. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 1980;10(5):368-76. PMID: 7425532
- Miller LJ, Saporta AS, Sottile SL, Siskind CE, Feely SM, Shy ME. Strategy for genetic testing in Charcot-Marie-disease. Acta Myol. 2011;30(2):109–116. PMID: 22106713
- Chung T, Prasad K, Lloyd TE. Peripheral neuropathy: clinical and electrophysiological considerations. Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2014;24(1):49–65. doi:10.1016/j.nic.2013.03.023
- Weis J, Brandner S, Lammens M, Sommer C, Vallat JM. Processing of nerve biopsies: a practical guide for neuropathologists. Clin Neuropathol. 2012;31(1):7–23. doi:10.5414/np300468
- Ziemssen T, Siepmann T. The Investigation of the Cardiovascular and Sudomotor Autonomic Nervous System-A Review. Front Neurol. 2019;10:53. Published 2019 Feb 12. doi:10.3389/fneur.2019.00053
- Khan N, Smith MT. Multiple sclerosis-induced neuropathic pain: pharmacological management and pathophysiological insights from rodent EAE models. Inflammopharmacology. 2014;22(1):1–22. doi:10.1007/s10787-013-0195-3
- Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on Multiple Sclerosis: Current Status and Strategies for the Future; Joy JE, Johnston RB Jr., editors. Multiple Sclerosis: Current Status and Strategies for the Future. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 2001. 3, Characteristics and Management of Major Symptoms.
- Chandra A, Stone CR, Du X, et al. The cerebral circulation and cerebrovascular disease III: Stroke. Brain Circ. 2017;3(2):66–77. doi:10.4103/bc.bc_12_17
- Bansal V, Kalita J, Misra UK. Diabetic neuropathy. Postgrad Med J. 2006;82(964):95–100. doi:10.1136/pgmj.2005.036137
- Staff NP, Windebank AJ. Peripheral neuropathy due to vitamin deficiency, toxins, and medications. Continuum (Minneap Minn). 2014;20(5 Peripheral Nervous System Disorders):1293–1306. doi:10.1212/01.CON.0000455880.06675.5a
- Meena AK, Khadilkar SV, Murthy JM. Treatment guidelines for Guillain-Barré Syndrome. Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 2011;14(Suppl 1):S73–S81. doi:10.4103/0972-2327.83087
- Hammi C, Yeung B. Neuropathy. [Updated 2019 Jun 4]. In: StatPearls [IntAvailable from:
- Przewlocki R, Przewlocka B. Opioids in neuropathic pain. Curr Pharm Des. 2005;11(23):3013-25. doi:10.2174/1381612054865055
- Juster-Switlyk K, Smith AG. Updates in diabetic peripheral neuropathy. F1000Res. 2016;5:F1000 Faculty Rev-738. Published 2016 Apr 25. doi:10.12688/f1000research.7898.1
- Cioroiu C, Weimer LH. Update on Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2017 Jun;17(6):47. doi: 10.1007/s11910-017-0757-7.
- Dimitrova A, Murchison C, Oken B. Acupuncture for the Treatment of Peripheral Neuropathy: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Altern Complement Med. 2017 Mar 1;23(3):164-79. doi: 10.1089/acm.2016.0155
- Watson JC, Dyck PJ. Peripheral Neuropathy: A Practical Approach to Diagnosis and Symptom Management. Mayo Clin Proc. 2015 Jul;90(7):940-51. doi: 10.1016/j.mayocp.2015.05.004
Jennifer Sobek has been a writer since 1993, working on collegiate and professional newspapers. Her writing has appeared in the "Copperas Cove Leader Press," "Fort Lewis Ranger," "Suburban Trends" and "The Shopper News," among others. Sobek has a Bachelor of Arts in journalism from Rowan University.