Symptoms of Muscle, Leg & Shoulder Pain
Musculoskeletal pain is a common ailment. Muscle, shoulder and leg discomfort are associated with a variety of conditions that range from the most benign, such as muscle overuse and inflammation, to morbidities like polymyalgias, systemic lupus erythematous and vascular abnormalities, notes the book, "Cleveland Clinic: Current Clinical Medicine."
Painful muscles are associated with a variety of conditions, the most common being overactivity, according to "Cecil Medicine." Muscle pain is perceived as radiating from deep within the muscle fibers, giving rise to a diffuse tissue pain. "Neurology in Clinical Practice" notes that symptoms of muscle discomfort include throbbing, fatigue, spasms, cramps, burning and soreness. Chronic pain is widespread and associated with autonomic symptoms. Acute pain is more localized and generally classified as cramping pain, associated with muscle contractions.
- Painful muscles are associated with a variety of conditions, the most common being overactivity, according to "Cecil Medicine."
- Acute pain is more localized and generally classified as cramping pain, associated with muscle contractions.
Common Rear Shoulder Injuries
"Textbook of Family Medicine" indicates that shoulder pain can come from the muscles of the shoulder girdle, nerves, and the shoulder joint. Shoulder girdle pain is a diffuse aching pain, while nerve pain is sharp and burning. Shoulder joint pain is characterized by discomfort upon movement sometimes associated with clicking or grinding within the joint.
According to "Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics," leg pain is generally associated with nerve, muscle and joint problems. Similar to the pain associated with the shoulder, the most common leg pain is muscular. "Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine" also includes pain from vascular disorders. For instance, pain associated with arterial disease is characterized by constant dull aching that is worse upon exercise but is relieved by rest and hanging the leg over the edge of a bed.
- According to "Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics," leg pain is generally associated with nerve, muscle and joint problems.
Common Rear Shoulder Injuries
What Are the Causes of Pain in the Back of the Arm?
Leg Pain Above the Knee
Causes of Pain on the Right Side Under the Arm
Spinalis Thoracis and Exercise
Buttocks & Leg Pain
Causes of Muscle Pain in the Hands and Feet
What Are the Causes of Sharp Shooting Hip Pain Running Down Leg?
Dull Aches in the Shin
Causes of Left Shoulder Blade Pain
- "Cecil Medicine"; Lee Goldman, M.D. and Dennis Ausiello, M.D.; 2008
- "Neurology in Clinical Practice"; Walter Bradley, D.M., F.R.C.P. and Robert Daroff, M.D.; 2008
- "Textbook of Family Medicine"; Robert Rakel, M.D.; 2007
- "Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine"; Anthony Fauci, M.D., et al. (eds.); 2008
- "Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics"; S. Terry Canale, M.D. and James Beaty, M.D.; 2008
- "Cleveland Clinic: Current Clinical Medicine"; 2010
- Ronan L, D'souza S. Pancoast's tumour presenting as shoulder pain in an orthopaedic clinic. BMJ Case Rep. 2013;2013. doi:10.1136/bcr-2012-008131
- Brandt M, Sundstrup E, Jakobsen MD, et al. Association between Neck/Shoulder Pain and Trapezius Muscle Tenderness in Office Workers. Pain Res Treat. 2014;2014:352735. doi:10.1155/2014/352735
- Gostine M, Davis F, Roberts BA, et al. Clinical Characteristics of Fibromyalgia in a Chronic Pain Population. Pain Pract. 2018;18(1):67-78. doi:10.1111/papr.12583
- Kuhne M, Boniquit N, Ghodadra N, Romeo AA, Provencher MT. The snapping scapula: diagnosis and treatment. Arthroscopy. 2009;25(11):1298-311. doi:10.1016/j.arthro.2008.12.022
- Suh BK, You KH, Park MS. Can axial pain be helpful to determine surgical level in the multilevel cervical radiculopathy?. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2017;25(1):2309499016684091. doi:10.1177/2309499016684091
- O'keefe-mccarthy S, Ready L. Impact of Prodromal Symptoms on Future Adverse Cardiac-Related Events: A Systematic Review. J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2016;31(1):E1-10. doi:10.1097/JCN.0000000000000207
- Walter FM, Rubin G, Bankhead C, et al. Symptoms and other factors associated with time to diagnosis and stage of lung cancer: a prospective cohort study. Br J Cancer. 2015;112 Suppl 1:S6-13. doi:10.1038/bjc.2015.30
- Stankus SJ, Dlugopolski M, Packer D. Management of herpes zoster (shingles) and postherpetic neuralgia. Am Fam Physician. 2000;61(8):2437-44, 2447-8.
- Nyhsen C, Mahmood SU. Life-threatening haemoperitoneum secondary to rupture of simple ovarian cyst. BMJ Case Rep. 2014;2014. doi:10.1136/bcr-2014-205061
- Di massa A, Avella R, Gentili C. Respiratory dysfunction related to diaphragmatic shoulder pain after abdominal and pelvic laparoscopy. Minerva Anestesiol. 1996;62(5):171-6.
- Evans J, Chapple A, Salisbury H, Corrie P, Ziebland S. "It can't be very important because it comes and goes"--patients' accounts of intermittent symptoms preceding a pancreatic cancer diagnosis: a qualitative study. BMJ Open. 2014;4(2):e004215.
- Demetrious J, Demetrious GJ. Lung cancer metastasis to the scapula and spine: a case report. Chiropr Osteopat. 2008;16:8. doi:10.1186/1746-1340-16-8
- Blann A. What is the purpose of liver function tests?. Nurs Times. 2014;110(6):17-9.
- Stapley S, Sharp D, Hamilton W. Negative chest X-rays in primary care patients with lung cancer. Br J Gen Pract. 2006;56(529):570-3.
- Mehta LS, Beckie TM, Devon HA, et al. Acute Myocardial Infarction in Women: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2016;133(9):916-47. doi:10.1161/CIR.0000000000000351
- Kibler, W., Sciascia, A., and T. Wilkes. Scapular dyskinesis and its relation to shoulder injury. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. 2012. 20(6):364-72.
- Suh, B., You, K., and M. Park. Can axial pain be helpful to determine surgical level in the multilevel cervical radiculopathy. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery. 2017. 25(1):2309499016684091.
- Warth, R., Spiegl, U., and P. Millett. Scapulothoracic bursitis and snapping scapula syndrome: a critical review of current evidence. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2015. 43(1):236-45.
- Wright, A. et al. Diagnostic accuracy of scapular physical examination tests for shoulder disorders: a systemic review. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2012 Oct 18. (Epub ahead of print)
- Choi, H., Lee, P., and K. Kim. Scapuloplasty alleviates scapular pain resulting from lung cancer metastasis. Pain Physician. 2010. 13(5):485-91.
- Elbinoune I, Amine B, Wabi M, et al. Rheumatoid shoulder assessed by ultrasonography: prevalence of abnormalities and associated factors. Pan Afr Med J. 2016;24:235. doi:10.11604/pamj.2016.24.235.9068
- Arthritis Foundation. Shoulder anatomy.
- Johns Hopkins Medicine. Shoulder arthritis.
- Wang WT, Huang SW, Liou TH, et al. Patients with rheumatoid arthritis were associated with a risk of rotator cuff diseases. J Clin Med. 2019;8(2):129. doi:10.3390/jcm8020129
- Tzeng CY, Chiang HY, Huang CC, et al. The impact of pre-existing shoulder diseases and traumatic injuries of the shoulder on adhesive capsulitis in adult population: A population-based nested case-control study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2019;98(39):e17204. doi:10.1097/MD.0000000000017204
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Frozen shoulder. Updated March 2018.
- Todd DJ. Patient education: Bursitis (Beyond the basics). Updated January 2. 2020.
Writing professionally since 1998, Dr. Christine Princeton has been published with the American Osteopathic Association and the Society for Teachers of Family Medicine. Dr. Princeton received her degree at Touro University Nevada College of Osteopathic Medicine and works as a physician in the fields of hospital medicine and women's health.