Can You Lose Stomach Fat by Running Every Day?
If you want to lose belly fat, you need to combine a reduced-calorie diet with physical activity. You can’t spot-reduce any specific area of the body, like the stomach, by exercising only that area.
Cardiovascular activity, like running, will burn calories, however, and help you lose unwanted fat all over, including from your midsection. Combine running with strength-training sessions to burn more calories and shed belly fat more quickly.
Losing stomach fat through running requires you to create a calorie deficit.
This occurs when you burn more calories than your body needs — resulting in fat loss all over, including your stomach.
A fat-loss goal of 1 to 2 lbs. a week is healthy and reasonable, according to the MedlinePlus online medical encyclopedia.
For a 1-lb. weekly weight loss, you need to trim at least 500 calories daily through diet, exercise or a combination of both. For a 2-lb.
weekly weight loss, you need to burn 1,000 calories daily. Since running is a high-calorie-burning activity, it’s possible to achieve these goals — and thus lose fat from your stomach and elsewhere — by running every day.
- Losing stomach fat through running requires you to create a calorie deficit.
- weekly weight loss, you need to trim at least 500 calories daily through diet, exercise or a combination of both.
Running and Calorie Burning
A Workout to Shrink Your Butt
How many calories you burn while running depends on your body weight and the intensity at which you exercise. The more you weigh and the faster you run, the more calories you burn. For example, a 160-lb. woman burns 584 calories in a hour of running at 5 mph, according to MayoClinic.com. A woman who weighs 200 lbs. burns about 728 calories running at the same speed for the same time.
Increasing the pace to 8 mph, meanwhile, will burn 986 calories for the 160-lb.
woman and 1,229 for the 200-lb. woman.
- How many calories you burn while running depends on your body weight and the intensity at which you exercise.
You can also flatten your stomach while running with a circuit-training approach. Start out with a tummy-toning exercise, like abdominal crunches, then alternate to running for a few minutes.
Rotate between a new belly-toning or other strength-training exercise and running for at least 30 minutes. According to "Fitness" magazine, circuit training burns 30 percent more calories than a traditional strength-training approach.
- You can also flatten your stomach while running with a circuit-training approach.
- Start out with a tummy-toning exercise, like abdominal crunches, then alternate to running for a few minutes.
Will Running Flatten My Stomach?
If you decide to use a circuit-training approach to lose unwanted belly fat, you might wonder which core exercises are effective at toning your stomach — and your toned stomach will be more noticeable if you lose weight by running every day. Try the abdominal hold, which targets your lower stomach. Sit on the edge of a firm chair, feet planted firmly to the floor. Place your hands on the edge of the chair.
Lift your feet off the ground about 2 to 4 inches and hold the contraction for a few seconds. Release and repeat the exercise for a minute.
Another effective core exercise to use with circuit training is the squat with twist. Start out with your feet spread about shoulder-width apart. Lower into a squat position, extending both arms to shoulder height.
At the bottom of your squat, twist your upper body to the left, then return to a standing position. Repeat this exercise eight to 12 times on each side of the body.
- If you decide to use a circuit-training approach to lose unwanted belly fat, you might wonder which core exercises are effective at toning your stomach — and your toned stomach will be more noticeable if you lose weight by running every day.
- At the bottom of your squat, twist your upper body to the left, then return to a standing position.
A Workout to Shrink Your Butt
Will Running Flatten My Stomach?
How to Do Bicycles to Lose Belly Fat
The Best Love Handle & Hip Workout
Sit Ups Before Bed to Lose Weight
Exercises to Get Rid of a Muffin Top
How to Make My Curvy Legs Thin
How To Lose Weight with Dumbbells
Abdominal Compression for Weight Loss
How to Prevent Hanging Skin on the Stomach After Weight Loss
- MayoClinic.com; Exercise for Weight Loss: Calories Burned in 1 Hour; Dec. 1, 2009
- “Fitness” magazine; Circuit Training Workout: Burn 30 Percent More Calories; Liz Neporent; July 2006
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; How Much Physical Activity Do Adults Need?; March 30, 2011
- Kozlovskaia M, Vlahovich N, Rathbone E, Manzanero S, Keogh J, Hughes DC. A profile of health, lifestyle and training habits of 4720 Australian recreational runners-The case for promoting running for health benefits. Health Promot J Austr. 2019;30(2):172-179. doi:10.1002/hpja.30.
- Kerksick C, Harvey T, Stout J, et al. International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: nutrient timing. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2008;5:17. doi:10.1186/1550-2783-5-17
- Donnelly JE, Blair SN, Jakicic JM, et al. American College of Sports Medicine position stand. Appropriate physical activity intervention strategies for weight loss and prevention of weight regain for adults. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2009;41(2):459-71. doi:10.1249/MSS.0b013e3181949333.
- Chtourou H, Souissi N. The effect of training at a specific time of day: a review. J Strength Cond Res. 2012;26(7). doi:1984-2005.10.1519/JSC.0b013e31825770a7
- Tchernof A, Després JP. Pathophysiology of human visceral obesity: an update. Physiol Rev. 2013;93(1):359-404. doi:10.1152/physrev.00033.2011.
- Vissers D, Hens W, Taeymans J, Baeyens JP, Poortmans J, Van gaal L. The effect of exercise on visceral adipose tissue in overweight adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8(2):e56415. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0056415.
- Verheggen RJ, Maessen MF, Green DJ, Hermus AR, Hopman MT, Thijssen DH. A systematic review and meta-analysis on the effects of exercise training versus hypocaloric diet: distinct effects on body weight and visceral adipose tissue. Obes Rev. 2016;17(8):664-90. doi10.1111/obr.12406.
- Johns Hopkins Medicine. 8 Ways to Lose Belly Fat and Live a Healthier Life. The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/healthy_heart/eat_smart/8-ways-to-lose-belly-fat-and-live-a-healthier-life
Nicki Howell started her professional writing career in 2002, specializing in areas such as health, fitness and personal finance. She has been published at health care websites, such as HealthTree, and is a ghostwriter for a variety of small health care organizations. She earned a Bachelor of Science in business administration from Portland State University.