Brewer's Yeast Allergy Symptoms
Bakers, beer and wine crafters, and people with allergic sensitivities may develop antibodies to brewer’s yeast, which will cause them to have an allergic reaction to Saccharomyces cerevisiae, a yeast mold frequently used in baking and brewing. Sensitivities to other molds may complicate this allergy. People who suspect that they have yeast allergies should undergo medical testing to confirm a diagnosis.
Eyes and Skin
The Occupational Health and Safety Administration notes that individuals who work with brewer’s yeast can get contact allergy symptoms. When tiny airborne particles reach the eyes, people with yeast allergies may experience itching and redness in the mucous membranes, or conjunctiva, of the eyes. Those who touch yeast or eat it in foods can get itchy hives on patches of skin.
Mouth and Throat
Torula Yeast Allergy
Allergy symptoms may begin at the point of inhalation or ingestion, and sufferers may have itching and swelling in the lips, mouth, tongue and throat. This can cause trouble swallowing.
As inflammation encompasses the upper respiratory tract, breathing can become hampered by a runny nose, postnasal drip and congestion. Any of the above allergy symptoms can develop immediately after exposure to brewer’s yeast.
Potato Allergy Symptoms
The effects of yeast allergies on digestion occur more gradually, but usually within an hour or two of contact. As the allergens enter the stomach, patients may feel nausea and pain, and experience uncontrollable cramping and vomiting. As the intestines become affected, further cramping and diarrhea may occur. The timing of symptoms is related to the pace of digestion, with health improving as the digestive system finally expels the food allergens in waste.
- The effects of yeast allergies on digestion occur more gradually, but usually within an hour or two of contact.
- As the allergens enter the stomach, patients may feel nausea and pain, and experience uncontrollable cramping and vomiting.
Heart and Lungs
Anaphylaxis represents a much more severe allergic reaction. This potentially fatal condition can arise from yeast allergies suddenly and at any time. If you develop symptoms of uneven pulse, wheezing, dizziness or shortness of breath, you should get immediate medical attention. Low blood pressure and airway obstruction can lead to respiratory and cardiac arrest.
- Anaphylaxis represents a much more severe allergic reaction.
- This potentially fatal condition can arise from yeast allergies suddenly and at any time.
Torula Yeast Allergy
Potato Allergy Symptoms
Beer Yeast Allergy & Rash
Allergies That Cause Itching
Side Effects of Mold Inhalation
Mushrooms & Skin Rashes
Gluten Sensitivity and Yeast Allergy
What Are the Effects of Breathing in Mold or Mildew?
Allergy to Cardboard
Allergic to White Flour
- Occupational Health and Safety Administration: Yeast Chemical Information
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases: Food Allergy
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Food Allergies
- MedlinePlus: Anaphylaxis
- Mount Sinai Health System. Brewer's yeast information.
- Offei B, Vandecruys P, De Graeve S, Foulquié-Moreno M, Thevelein J. Unique genetic basis of the distinct antibiotic potency of high acetic acid production in the probiotic yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. boulardii. Genome Res. 2019;29(9):1478-1494. doi:10.1101/gr.243147.118
- Hatoum R, Labrie S, Fliss I. Antimicrobial and probiotic properties of yeasts: From fundamental to novel applications. Front Microbiol. 2012;3. doi:10.3389/fmicb.2012.00421
- Cayzeele-Decherf A, Pélerin F, Leuillet S, et al. Saccharomyces cerevisiae CNCM I-3856 in irritable bowel syndrome: An individual subject meta-analysis. World J Gastroenterol. 2017;23(2):336-44. doi:10.3748/wjg.v23.i2.336
- Talbott SM, Talbott JA. Baker's yeast beta-glucan supplement reduces upper respiratory symptoms and improves mood state in stressed women. J Am Coll Nutr. 2012;31(4):295-300. doi:10.1080/07315724.2012.10720441
- Dharsono T, Rudnicka K, Wilhelm M, Schoen C. Effects of yeast (1,3)-(1,6)-beta-glucan on severity of upper respiratory tract infections: A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study in healthy subjects. J Am Coll Nutr. 2018;38(1):40-50. doi:10.1080/07315724.2018.1478339
- Hosseinzadeh P, Javanbakht MH, Mostafavi SA, et al. Brewer's yeast improves glycemic indices in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Int J Prev Med. 2013;4(10):1131-1138.
- Hosseinzadeh P, Djazayery A, Mostafavi SA, et al. Brewer's yeast improves blood pressure in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Iran J Public Health. 2013;42(6):602-609.
- Chiaro T, Soto R, Zac Stephens W et al. A member of the gut mycobiota modulates host purine metabolism exacerbating colitis in mice. Sci Transl Med. 2017;9(380):eaaf9044. doi:10.1126/scitranslmed.aaf9044
- Izadnia F, Wong CT, Kocoshis SA. Brewer's yeast and Saccharomyces boulardii both attenuate Clostridium difficile-induced colonic secretion in the rat. Dig Dis Sci. 1998;43(9):2055-2060. doi:10.1023/a:1018811331596
Nancy Clarke began writing in 1988 after achieving her Bachelor of Arts in English and has edited books on medicine, diet, senior care and other health topics. Her related affiliations include work for the American Medical Association and Oregon Health Plan.