What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
People who suffer allergic reactions shortly after eating potatoes should take note of their symptoms and pursue a diagnosis for safety reasons. Food allergy symptoms mimic signs of cold or flu but can lead to deadly anaphylactic shock 1. While many children outgrow potato allergies, adults who develop them risk allergic reactions for life. As the Mayo Clinic reports, having allergies increases the chance of developing other allergies 1. Individuals who are allergic to birch pollen or latex, in particular, have an especially increased risk for potato allergies.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Itching and Swelling
Just after eating potatoes, histamine-induced inflammation initiates allergy symptoms of itching and swelling. They begin at the point of contact, with itching in the lips, mouth, tongue and throat. As the allergens are carried through the bloodstream, itching my extend to the eyes and skin. Swelling may arise as bumps in the mouth or swelling of the tongue. Inflammation may spread swelling to the eyelids and face or produce a raised, red rash on the skin. As the Mayo Clinic explains, these may total the sum of food allergy symptoms, in what doctors call an oral allergy syndrome 1. Birch pollen or latex allergy patients may experience only this abbreviated allergic reaction and only from eating uncooked potatoes.
- Just after eating potatoes, histamine-induced inflammation initiates allergy symptoms of itching and swelling.
- Birch pollen or latex allergy patients may experience only this abbreviated allergic reaction and only from eating uncooked potatoes.
Breathing and Heart Trouble
Brewer's Yeast Allergy Symptoms
Difficulty swallowing or breathing and an abnormal pulse may signify the onset of anaphylaxis. As the immune systems misjudge the danger of potato allergens in the body, some patients may suffer a sharp decline in blood pressure at the same time that inflammation threatens respiration. Swelling in the throat obstructs the airways, sending less oxygen through the blood to the brain. The National Institutes of Health add symptoms of confusion, wheezing, slurred speech and dizziness to this progressive state of shock that can result from potato allergies 2. These symptoms require emergency medical help, as they may be followed by a loss of consciousness and even death.
- Difficulty swallowing or breathing and an abnormal pulse may signify the onset of anaphylaxis.
- As the immune systems misjudge the danger of potato allergens in the body, some patients may suffer a sharp decline in blood pressure at the same time that inflammation threatens respiration.
Abdominal and intestinal allergy symptoms occur within an hour or two, at the pace of digestion, and may be preceded by nausea. Patients with potato allergies may experience mild to severe stomach pain, intestinal cramps, vomiting and diarrhea. The gastrointestinal effects of allergic reactions can arise gradually or suddenly. When combined with respiratory and cardiovascular problems, the condition can become incapacitating. The University of Maryland Medical Center notes that while symptoms will fade shortly, the condition will remain with its ever-present risks for anaphylaxis 3.
- Abdominal and intestinal allergy symptoms occur within an hour or two, at the pace of digestion, and may be preceded by nausea.
- When combined with respiratory and cardiovascular problems, the condition can become incapacitating.
Brewer's Yeast Allergy Symptoms
Symptoms of a Banana Allergy
Flour Allergy Symptoms
Carrot Allergy Symptoms
Allergies That Cause Itching
Glucose Allergy Symptoms
Pear Allergy Symptoms
Symptoms of Citric Acid Intolerance
What Are the Allergy Symptoms to Eucalyptus Pollen?
Skin Rash from Strawberries
- Mayo Clinic: Food Allergy
- National Institutes of Health: Anaphylaxis
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Food Allergies
- American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology. Allergic Reactions.
- Kołodziejczyk K, Bozek A. Clinical Distinctness of Allergic Rhinitis in Patients with Allergy to Molds. Biomed Res Int. 2016;2016:3171594. doi:10.1155/2016/3171594
- American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology. All About Allergy Testing.
- Bernstein IL, Li JT, Bernstein DI, et al. Allergy Diagnostic Testing: An Updated Practice Parameter. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2008;100(3 Suppl 3):S1-148. (Current as of Sept. 2019). doi:10.1016/S1081-1206(10)60305-5
- Carr S, Chan E, Lavine E, Moote W. CSACI Position Statement on the Testing of Food-Specific IgG. Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol. 2012;8(1):12. Published 2012 Jul 26. doi:10.1186/1710-1492-8-12
- Fonacier L, Bernstein DI, Pacheco K, et al. Contact Dermatitis: A Practice Parameter-Update 2015. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2015;3(3 Suppl):S1-39. doi:10.1016/j.jaip.2015.02.009
Nancy Clarke began writing in 1988 after achieving her Bachelor of Arts in English and has edited books on medicine, diet, senior care and other health topics. Her related affiliations include work for the American Medical Association and Oregon Health Plan.