What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
How to Help Blocked Penile Veins
Blocked penile veins result in abnormal blood flow into and out of the penis. As a result, blood often becomes trapped in the penis, resulting in veno-occlusive priapism 2. This is a condition of a prolonged and painful erection resulting from obstructed veins in the penis. Unfortunately, you will be unable to treat blocked penile veins at home. If you suspect you have this condition, it is important to speak with your doctor immediately to receive the proper care and treatment you need.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Visit your doctor to obtain an accurate diagnosis. Before attempting to treat your condition, it is important to visit your doctor. Although your symptoms may indicate that you have a blocked penile vein, it could indicate a more serious or underlying medical condition. When speaking to your doctor, explain your symptoms and history as accurately as possible. Your doctor will do a physical examination of the penis. An angiography will likely be used to locate the blocked penile veins, while a Doppler sonogram will be used to detect abnormal blood flow.
How to Do Exercises for the Corpora Cavernosa
Apply ice to the penis to reduce swelling. When the veins in the penis become blocked, blood is unable to drain from the penis. As a result, the shaft of the penis commonly becomes rigid and swollen, resulting in a painful and persistent erection. To help with this swelling, apply an ice pack to the shaft of the penis. Because the penis skin is so delicate, wrap the ice pack in a thin towel before applying it to the skin. Ice the area for 15 to 20 minutes every 3 to 4 hours.
Engage in light exercise, which may help divert the blood flow to other areas of the body. The exercise should not be vigorous or extensive. For example, try walking up and down a few flights of stairs. Or, take a short walk around the block. If the pain becomes worse with movement, do not attempt to exercise.
Complications of Endovenous Laser Treatment
Remove the blood from the penis with aspiration. For this procedure, your doctor will begin by numbing the penis. Then, he will insert a needle into the shaft and drain the blocked blood from the penis. Although will probably not correct the blockage, it will reduce the swelling and pressure.
Surgically correct the blockages, depending on your individual situation. If you are suffering from a ruptured artery or vein, your doctor will use surgical ligation to correct the problem. The artery or vein that has ruptured will be tied off, which allows for blood flow to return to its normal state. If the artery or vein has not ruptured, your doctor will likely insert a shunt into the blocked vein. This shunt will allow blood to bypass the blockage, returning circulation to normal.
If you suspect you have a blocked penile vein, it is important that you seek medical attention immediately. Do not attempt to treat the condition yourself, as you may cause the condition to become worse. According to the Cleveland Clinic, the longer that medical attention is delayed, the greater the risk for permanent dysfunction of the penis.
How to Do Exercises for the Corpora Cavernosa
Complications of Endovenous Laser Treatment
Blood Clot After Surgery Symptoms
Abnormal Bleeding After a D&C
Iliac Artery Occlusion Symptoms
How to Treat Phimosis With Stretching Exercises
Side Effects of Lumbar Nerve Blocks
Exercises for Peyronie's Disease
Signs of Kidney Blockage
How to Make Your Penis Larger Without Taking Pills
- Cleveland Clinic: Priapism
- Mayo Clinic: Priapism
- Marra G, Drury A, Tran L, Veale D, Muir GH. Systematic review of surgical and nonsurgical interventions in normal men complaining of small penis size. Sex Med Rev. 2019;2019:S2050-0521(19)30012-5. doi:10.1016/j.sxmr.2019.01.004
- Hatipoğlu N, Kurtoğlu S. Micropenis: etiology, diagnosis and treatment approaches. J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol. 2013;5(4):217-23. doi:10.4274/Jcrpe.1135
- Karavalos S, Stewart J, Evbuomwan, McEleny K, Aird I. Assessment of the infertile male. TOG. 2013 Jan;15(1):1-9. doi:10.1111/j.1744-4667.2012.00145.x
- Kim SO, Ryu KH, Hwang IS, Jung SI, Oh KJ, Park K. Penile growth in response to human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) treatment in patients with idiopathic hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism. Chonnam Med J. 2011;47(1):39-42. doi:10.4068/cmj.2011.47.1.39
- Van der Horst HJ, De Wall LL. Hypospadias, all there is to know. Eur J Pediatr. 2017;176(4):435-41. doi:10.1007/s00431-017-2864-5
- Egydio PH, Kuehhas FE, Sansalone S. Penile length and girth restoration in severe Peyronie's disease using circular and longitudinal grafting. BJU Int. 2013;111(4 Pt B):E213-9. doi:10.1111/j.1464-410X.2012.11582.x
- Kwon YS, Farber N, Yu JW, et al. Longitudinal recovery patterns of penile length and the underexplored benefit of long-term phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitor use after radical prostatectomy. BMC Urol. 2018;18(1):37. doi:10.1186/s12894-018-0341-8
- King IC, Tahir A, Ramanathan C, Siddiqui H. Buried penis: evaluation of outcomes in children and adults, modification of a unified treatment algorithm, and review of the literature. ISRN Urol. 2013;2013:109349. doi:10.1155/2013/109349
- Prause N, Park J, Leung S, Miller G. Women's preferences for penis size: a new research method using selection among 3D models. PLoS ONE. 2015;10(9):e0133079. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0133079
- Veale D, Miles S, Read J, et al. Penile dysmorphic disorder: development of a screening scale. Arch Sex Behav. 2015;44(8):2311-21. doi:10.1007/s10508-015-0484-6
- Oderda M, Gontero P. Non-invasive methods of penile lengthening: fact or fiction?. BJU Int. 2011;107(8):1278-82. doi:10.1111/j.1464-410X.2010.09647.x
- Oates J, Sharp G. Nonsurgical medical penile girth augmentation: Experience-based recommendations. Aesthet Surg J. 2017;37(9):1032-8. doi:10.1093/asj/sjx068
- Bescós R, Sureda A, Tur JA, Pons A. The effect of nitric-oxide-related supplements on human performance. Sports Med. 2012;42(2):99-117. doi:10.2165/11596860-000000000-00000
- Usta MF, Ipekci T. Penile traction therapy for Peyronie's disease - what's the evidence?. Transl Androl Urol. 2016;5(3):303-9. doi:10.21037/tau.2016.03.25
- Ahmed U, Freeman A, Kirkham A, Ralph DJ, Minhas S, Muneer A. Self injection of foreign materials into the penis. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2017;99(2):e78-e82. doi:10.1308/rcsann.2016.0346
- Campbell J, Gillis J. A review of penile elongation surgery. Transl Androl Urol. 2017;6(1):69-78. doi:10.21037/tau.2016.11.19
- Xu L, Zhao M, Chen W, et al. Augmentation phalloplasty with autologous dermal fat graft in the treatment of small penis. Ann Plast Surg. 2016 Feb;77(Suppl 1):S60-5. doi:10.1097/SAP.0000000000000782
- Srinivas BV, Vasan SS, Mohammed S. Penile lengthening procedure with V-Y advancement flap and an interposing silicone sheath: a novel methodology. Indian J Urol. 2012;28(3):340-2. doi:10.4103/0970-1591.102722
- Anandan L, Mohammed A. Surgical management of buried penis in adults. Cent European J Urol. 2018;71(3):346-52. doi:10.5173/ceju.2018.1676
- Egydio PH, Kuehhas FE. Penile lengthening and widening without grafting according to a modified 'sliding' technique. BJU Int. 2015;116(6):965-72. doi:10.1111/bju.13065
- Loreto C, Garaffa G, Dijnovic R, Barbagli G, Villa M, Sansalone S. Penile disassembly: anatomical surgical steps. BJU Int. 2013;112(7):1035-45. doi:10.1111/bju.12413
- Rodriguez KM, Kohn TP, Davis AB, Hakky TS. Penile implants: a look into the future. Transl Androl Urol. 2017;6(Suppl 5):S860-S866. doi:10.21037/tau.2017.05.28
- Chauhan NS, Sharma V, Dixit VK, Thakur M. A review on plants used for improvement of sexual performance and virility. Biomed Res Int. 2014;2014:868062. doi:10.1155/2014/868062
- If you suspect you have a blocked penile vein, it is important that you seek medical attention immediately. Do not attempt to treat the condition yourself, as you may cause the condition to become worse. According to the Cleveland Clinic, the longer that medical attention is delayed, the greater the risk for permanent dysfunction of the penis.
Krista Sheehan is a registered nurse and professional writer. She works in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) and her previous nursing experience includes geriatrics, pulmonary disorders and home health care. Her professional writing works focus mainly on the subjects of physical health, fitness, nutrition and positive lifestyle changes.