Bovine colostrum powder -- a type of pre-milk fluid released from cows during the first two to four days after they give birth -- might not sound appetizing, but it might have health benefits and work as a flu preventative 1. Colostrum is naturally rich in antioxidants and nutrients. you can purchase bovine colostrum powder over the counter 1. Speak to your doctor before using any type of supplement to treat or prevent a disease.
Lean Muscle Mass Increases
According to a study published in "Nutrition," researchers found that taking colostrum supplements improves the rate at which lean muscle mass is achieved. Subjects were given 20 grams of colostrum in powder form each day. After eight weeks of aerobic exercise and heavy resistance training, subjects achieved a mean increase of 1.49 kilograms of muscle mass.
Colostrum & Weight Loss
A study published in “Clinical and Applied Thrombosis/Hemostasis” found that oral colostrum can be administered as a preventive agent against the flu 3. The study concluded that colostrum supplementation was three times more effective against flu prevention than vaccination. Subjects were given colostrum in oral form daily over two months.
Colostrum taken orally in powder form may help relieve symptoms of gastrointestinal distress. According to Drugs.com, the supplement neutralizes bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract and treats severe diarrhea. The supplement may help alleviate GI distress in patients who suffer from AIDS and ulcerative bowel diseases. Drugs.com reports that a dosage between 10 to 20 grams may be used daily to treat gastrointestinal disorders.
- Colostrum taken orally in powder form may help relieve symptoms of gastrointestinal distress.
- Drugs.com reports that a dosage between 10 to 20 grams may be used daily to treat gastrointestinal disorders.
Benefits of Acacia Powder
Although colostrum may have some health benefits, you can develop side effects with the use of the supplement. Reported side effects include gas and mild nausea. Also, nursing and pregnant women should avoid the supplement, since the effects on the mother and the baby have yet to be determined. No interactions or contraindications have been reported with the supplement.
- Although colostrum may have some health benefits, you can develop side effects with the use of the supplement.
Colostrum & Weight Loss
Benefits of Acacia Powder
Probiotic Dosage After Antibiotics
The Side Effects of Bovine Colostrum Whey
Wheat Dextrin & Fiber
Acidophilus for Gas & Bloating
What Is Lactobacillus Sporogenes?
Lifeway Kefir Nutrition
Quercetin & Nettles for Allergy Relief
- Drugs.com: Bovine Colostrum
- "Nutrition"; The Effects of Bovine Colostrum Supplementation on Body Composition and Exercise Performance in Active Men and Women; J Antonio et al.; Mar 2001
- “Clinical and Applied Thrombosis/Hemostasis”; Prevention of Influenza Episodes with Colostrum Compared with Vaccination in Healthy and High-risk Cardiovascular Subjects: the Epidemiologic Study in San Valentino; MR Cesarone et al.; Apr 2007
- Antonio, J.; Sanders, M.; and van Gammeren, D. The Effects of Bovine Colostrum Supplementation on Body Composition and Exercise Performance in Active Men and Women. Nutrition. 2001 Mar;17(3):243-7.
- Cesarone, M.; Belcaro, G.; di Renzo A. et al. Prevention of Influenza Episodes With Colostrum Compared With Vaccination in Healthy and High-Risk Cardiovascular Subjects: the Epidemiologic Study in San Valentino. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2007 Apr;13(2):130-6. DOI: 10.1177/1076029606295957.
- Duff, W.; Chilibeck, P.; Rooke, J. et al. The effect of bovine colostrum supplementation in older adults during resistance training. Int J Sports Nutr Exerc Metab. 2014 Jun;24(3):276-85. DOI: 10.1123/ijsnem.2013-0182.
- Elfstrand, L. and Florén, C. Management of chronic diarrhea in HIV-infected patients: current treatment options, challenges, and future directions. HIV AIDS (Auckl). 2010; 2: 219-24. DOI: 10.2147/HIV.S13191.
- Playford, R.; MacDonald, C.; Calnan, D. et al. Co-Administration of the Health Food Supplement, Bovine Colostrum, Reduces the Acute Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug-Induced Increase in Intestinal Permeability. Clin Sci (Lond). 2001 Jun;100(6):627-33.
- Saad, K.; Abo-Elela, M.; El-Baseer, A. et al. Effects of bovine colostrum on recurrent respiratory tract infections and diarrhea in children. Medicine. 2016 Sep;95(37):e4560. DOI: 10.1097/MD.0000000000004560.
- Shing, C.; Hunter, D.; and Stevenson, L. Bovine Colostrum Supplementation and Exercise Performance: Potential Mechanisms. Sports Med. 2009;39(12):1033-54. DOI: 10.2165/11317860-000000000-00000.
Heather Topham Wood is a seasoned writer whose work has appeared in numerous publications, including USA Today, Gadgetell, Feel Rich and Step in Style. Heather is a published novelist with six Amazon bestsellers and a contract through Crescent Moon Press. She holds a bachelor's degree in English from TCNJ.