What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Although age spots typically develop in adults 40 or older, they can occur at any age — including the teenage years. Age spots can be unsightly and difficult to hide, which can be especially traumatic to a teenager. Therefore, it is important to understand what causes age spots to occur and how they can be prevented in the teenage years.
MayoClinic.com notes that age spots in teens can appear as flat, circular spots of dark pigmentation 1. These spots can range from the size of a freckle to several centimeters in diameter. They can be grayish, black or brown in color. Although they can develop anywhere on the body, they generally occur on areas of skin most exposed to the sun such as the face, upper back, shoulders and the back of the hands.
- MayoClinic.com notes that age spots in teens can appear as flat, circular spots of dark pigmentation 1.
Dark Pigmentation in the Elbows, Ankles and Inner Thigh
Age spots occur from excess exposure to ultraviolet rays. The body produces extra melanin in order to protect the deeper layers of skin. This melanin clumps together, forming an age spot. Although they are more common in older people, they can develop in teenagers as well. "The Washington Post" reports that premature signs of aging, such as age spots in the teenage years, can occur as the result of stress and overwhelming emotion 4. This stress can cause the genes inside cells to deteriorate prematurely.
- Age spots occur from excess exposure to ultraviolet rays.
- The Washington Post" reports that premature signs of aging, such as age spots in the teenage years, can occur as the result of stress and overwhelming emotion 4.
There are a variety of treatments for age spots in teenagers including skin bleaching creams and lotions. A dermatologist or doctor can also perform procedures such as microdermabrasion, laser resurfacing or a chemical peel to remove the top and underlying layers of skin. These procedures can slough off the skin cells harboring the age spot. In addition, cryotherapy can also be used to freeze off the age spot tissue.
- There are a variety of treatments for age spots in teenagers including skin bleaching creams and lotions.
- In addition, cryotherapy can also be used to freeze off the age spot tissue.
Upper Lip Melasma
To prevent age spots in the teenage years, it is important to stay out of the sun as much as possible. Ultraviolet rays are strongest between the hours of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., so wear protective clothing and a wide brimmed hat. In addition, apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen of at least 30 SPF to protect against both UVA and UVB rays. Wear sunscreen every time you go outside — even if it’s during the winter or overcast outside.
- To prevent age spots in the teenage years, it is important to stay out of the sun as much as possible.
- In addition, apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen of at least 30 SPF to protect against both UVA and UVB rays.
Even though the appearance of age spots can be premature and disturbing for teenagers, insurance companies may not cover treatment options. In addition, some procedures can have side effects such as:
- skin discoloration
- peeling of the skin
Some treatments, such as skin bleaching creams, can also increase the skin’s sensitivity to the sun. Consult a dermatologist if concerned about treatment options and side effects.
Dark Pigmentation in the Elbows, Ankles and Inner Thigh
Upper Lip Melasma
The Risks of Glycolic Peels
How to Reduce the Appearance of Scarring
Vitamin E for Skin Discoloration
Dark Circles Around the Mouth
What Are Periorbital Wrinkles?
Skin Discoloration on the Forehead
What Are the Benefits of Kojic Acid?
Hyperpigmentation While on Birth Control
- MayoClinic.com: Age Spots (Liver Spots)
- MedlinePlus: Liver Spots
- American Academy of Dermatology: Causes of Aging Skin
- The Washington Post: Study Is First to Confirm That Stress Speeds Aging
- American Academy of Dermatology. Variety of Options Available to Treat Pigmentation Problems. February 5, 2013. https://www.aad.org/media/news-releases/variety-of-options-available-to-treat-pigmentation-problems
- Tomecki J, Woodhouse G. Common Benign Growths. Cleveland Clinic Center for Continuing Education. http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/diseasemanagement/dermatology/common-benign-growths/
- Scarcella G, Dethlefsen MW, Nielsen MCE. Treatment of solar lentigines using a combination of picosecond laser and biophotonic treatment. Clin Case Rep. 2018;6(9):1868-1870. doi:10.1002/ccr3.1749
- Scherer D, Kumar R. Genetics of pigmentation in skin cancer--a review. Mutat Res. 2010;705(2):141-53. doi:10.1016/j.mrrev.2010.06.002
- Bastiaens M, Hoefnagel J, Westendorp R, Vermeer BJ, Bouwes bavinck JN. Solar lentigines are strongly related to sun exposure in contrast to ephelides. Pigment Cell Res. 2004;17(3):225-9. doi:10.1111/j.1600-0749.2004.00131.x
- Davis EC, Callender VD. Postinflammatory hyperpigmentation: a review of the epidemiology, clinical features, and treatment options in skin of color. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2010;3(7):20-31.
- George AO, Shittu OB, Enwerem E, Wachtel M, Kuti O. The incidence of lower mid-trunk hyperpigmentation (linea nigra) is affected by sex hormone levels. J Natl Med Assoc. 2005;97(5):685-8.
- Al-saif FM, Baqays AA, Alsaif HF, Alhumidi AA. Erythromelanosis follicularis faciei et colli with reticulated hyperpigmentation of the extremities. Clin Case Rep. 2017;5(10):1576-1579. doi:10.1002/ccr3.1095
- Dereure O. Drug-induced skin pigmentation. Epidemiology, diagnosis and treatment. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2001;2(4):253-62. doi:10.2165/00128071-200102040-00006
- Ammoury A, Michaud S, Paul C, et al. Photodistribution of blue-gray hyperpigmentation after amiodarone treatment: molecular characterization of amiodarone in the skin. Arch Dermatol. 2008;144(1):92-6. doi:10.1001/archdermatol.2007.25
- Jain A, Gupta N. Multifocal Bullous Fixed Drug Erruption Due To Phenytoin: A Lesson Learned! J Clin Diagn Res. 2015;9(12):OD04-5. doi:10.7860/JCDR/2015/15464.6908
- Mccarty M, Rosso JQ. Chronic administration of oral trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole for acne vulgaris. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2011;4(8):58-66.
- Massinde A, Ntubika S, Magoma M. Extensive hyperpigmentation during pregnancy: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2011;5:464. doi:10.1186/1752-1947-5-464
- Sarkar SB, Sarkar S, Ghosh S, Bandyopadhyay S. Addison's disease. Contemp Clin Dent. 2012;3(4):484-6. doi:10.4103/0976-237X.107450
- Lause M, Kamboj A, Fernandez faith E. Dermatologic manifestations of endocrine disorders. Transl Pediatr. 2017;6(4):300-312. doi:10.21037/tp.2017.09.08
- Enguita FJ, Leitão AL. Hydroquinone: environmental pollution, toxicity, and microbial answers. Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:542168. doi:10.1155/2013/542168
- Arora P, Sarkar R, Garg VK, Arya L. Lasers for treatment of melasma and post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. J Cutan Aesthet Surg. 2012;5(2):93-103. doi:10.4103/0974-2077.99436
- Prohaska J, Badri T. Cryotherapy. StatPearls Publishing. 2019.
- Schalka S. New data on hyperpigmentation disorders. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2017;31 Suppl 5:18-21. doi:10.1111/jdv.14411
- American Academy of Dermatology. Variety of Options Available to Treat Pigmentation Problems. February 5, 2013.
- Tomecki J, Woodhouse G. Common Benign Growths. Cleveland Clinic Center for Continuing Education.
Rose Erickson has been a professional writer since 2010. She specializes in fitness, parenting, beauty, health, nutrition and saving money, and writes for several online publications including The Krazy Coupon Lady. She is also a novelist and a mother of three.