Effexor and Wellbutrin are both medications that may be prescribed for depression 2.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Effexor is the brand name for the generic drug called venlafaxine and Wellbutrin is the brand name for the generic drug bupropion 2.
Effexor is also approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety and panic disorder.
Both drugs work in a generally similar manner, but they act on different chemicals in the brain. Understanding their different functions and side effects can help you and your doctor decide which may be the best choice for you.
Imbalances in certain chemicals within the brain can lead to depression and anxiety. Effexor belongs to a group of antidepressants called serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) or dual reuptake inhibitors. Serotonin and norepinephrine are chemicals released from nerve cells in the brain. They are later taken back into the nerves, where they are broken down and destroyed.
Effexor blocks this reuptake, causing the levels of both chemicals to rise in the brain. These increased levels help reduce depression and anxiety.
- Imbalances in certain chemicals within the brain can lead to depression and anxiety.
Weight Loss or Gain With Celexa
Wellbutrin belongs to a separate group of antidepressants called norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitors (NDRIs) 2. Like Effexor, it blocks the reuptake of certain chemicals into nerve cells in the brain.
Effexor: Common Side Effects
All medications have possible side effects.
The most common side effect of Effexor is nausea, occurring in about 30 percent of people according to the FDA prescribing information. Dry mouth, decreased appetite, diarrhea and constipation are other relatively common gastrointestinal effects. Effexor also causes sweating, dizziness, insomnia and sleepiness in a significant number of people.
Many antidepressants can cause sexual side effects, and Effexor appears to fall in the middle range for these issues. About 5 to 10 percent of people taking Effexor notice problems with sexual function.
- All medications have possible side effects.
- Many antidepressants can cause sexual side effects, and Effexor appears to fall in the middle range for these issues.
Wellbutrin: Common Side Effects
Antidepressants That Help You Lose Weight
Like Effexor, gastrointestinal effects are common with Wellbutrin 2. Of these, dry mouth is the most frequent, occurring in about 24 percent of people taking Wellbutrin for major depressive disorder according to the FDA prescribing information 2. Nausea is the second most common, occurring in about 18 percent of people. Decreased appetite, diarrhea and constipation are other relatively frequent gastrointestinal effects. Headaches are common with Wellbutrin 2.
Like Effexor, Wellbutrin may cause sweating and insomnia 2.
Anxiety is more common with Wellbutrin than with Effexor, which is not surprising since Effexor is used to treat anxiety 2.
- Like Effexor, gastrointestinal effects are common with Wellbutrin 2.
Serious Side Effects
The FDA has issued a warning that all antidepressants, including Wellbutrin and Effexor, may increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behaviors, especially in children, teenagers and young adults 2. All antidepressants may also increase the possibility of a manic episode, especially in people with bipolar depression. Both Effexor and Wellbutrin can cause high blood pressure, seizures and allergic reactions 2.
Each drug also has its own potential serious side effects. Serotonin syndrome, a life-threatening condition caused by too much serotonin, may occur with Effexor. This syndrome can produce a number of symptoms, including a very fast heart rate, high temperature, confusion and coma.
Effexor may also cause excessive bleeding and worsening of certain types of glaucoma. Wellbutrin may damage the liver 2.
- The FDA has issued a warning that all antidepressants, including Wellbutrin and Effexor, may increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behaviors, especially in children, teenagers and young adults 2.
- Effexor may also cause excessive bleeding and worsening of certain types of glaucoma.
As many types of antidepressants cause people to gain weight, the effects of Wellbutrin and Effexor on weight are important to consider 2.
Among all antidepressants, Wellbutrin is most likely to cause actual weight loss 2. According to a study published in "The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry" in October 2010, people taking Wellbutrin lost about 2 pounds on average during the first 3 months of treatment and close to 4 pounds during long-term treatment 2. People taking Effexor lost about 1 pound during the first 3 months. Not enough research has been done to determine the long-term effects of Effexor on weight.
The effects of antidepressant medications vary greatly from person to person. It is not possible to know in advance which drug will give you the greatest benefit and fewest side effects. You may have to try a number of antidepressants before finding the one that is best for you.
Reviewed by: Mary D. Daley, M.D.
- As many types of antidepressants cause people to gain weight, the effects of Wellbutrin and Effexor on weight are important to consider 2.
- Not enough research has been done to determine the long-term effects of Effexor on weight.
Weight Loss or Gain With Celexa
Antidepressants That Help You Lose Weight
How Does Lamictal Work on Depression?
Cymbalta Vs. Prozac
Possible Long-Term Side Effects of Amitriptyline
Bad Side Effects From Wellbutrin
Extreme Effects of Effexor & Ritalin
Symptoms When Stopping Lexapro
Anti-anxiety Medications That Cause Weight Loss
Side Effects of Effexor 37.5Mg
- Drugs.com: Effexor
- Drugs.com: Wellbutrin
- The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry: Antidepressants and Body Weight: A Comprehensive Review and Meta-Analysis
- Daily Med: Effexor XR - Venlafaxine Hydrochloride Capsule, Extended Release
- Daily Med: Wellbutrin XL - Bupropion Hydrochloride Tablet, Extended Release
- Food and Drug Administration. Wellbutrin (buproprion hydrochloride) tablets prescribing information. June 2009.
- Verbeeck W, Bekkering GE, Van den Noortgate W, Kramers C. Bupropion for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017;10:CD009504. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD009504.pub2
- Armstrong C. ACOG guidelines on psychiatric medication use during pregnancy and lactation. Am Fam Physician. 2008;78(6):772-778.
- Stahl SM, Pradko JF, Haight BR, Modell JG, Rockett CB, Learned-coughlin S. A Review of the Neuropharmacology of Bupropion, a Dual Norepinephrine and Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor. Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry. 2004;6(4):159-166.
- College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists. Bupropion (Wellbutrin). National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). Updated December 2018.
- GlaxoSmithKline. Wellbutrin Prescribing Information. Updated November 2019.
Hazel Thornstein has been writing and editing since 2003. She writes copy for websites such as LIVESTRONG.COM and marketing materials. Thornstein is a psychotherapist, and her writing focuses on psychology and relationship issues. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in mass communications and creative writing from the University of California-Berkeley and a Master of Arts in psychology.