If your doctor has prescribed Celexa (citalopram hydrobromide) for depression, you may wonder if the drug will affect your weight 1. Some antidepressant drugs can cause weight gain, a side effect that patients sometimes dislike so much that they stop taking their medication. Celexa, however, tends to have little or no effect on weight in most people.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
When you first begin taking Celexa, you could lose about 1.1 lbs, according to the information provided by the manufacturer. This weight loss can be caused by nausea and loss of appetite, which are relatively common side effects that usually disappear within a few weeks. Contact your doctor if you continue to have unpleasant side effects or seem to be losing too much weight.
Diabetic Side Effects of Xanax
Celexa is one of several drugs called selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors, or SSRI’s. As a group, SSRI’s cause slight weight gain in approximately 5 percent to 20 percent of people, according to the "Handbook of Psychiatric Drug Therapy." If weight gain does occur while taking Celexa, the amount is generally small -- ranging from 2.2 and 3.3 lbs over the course of a year -- according to a report published in the January 2011 issue of "Journal of Obesity. 34"
- Celexa is one of several drugs called selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors, or SSRI’s.
- As a group, SSRI’s cause slight weight gain in approximately 5 percent to 20 percent of people, according to the "Handbook of Psychiatric Drug Therapy."
Both weight loss and weight gain can be symptoms of depression, so talk to your doctor about any change in your weight. Do not stop taking Celexa on your own. Contact your doctor immediately if your depression worsens or if you begin to think about suicide.
Diabetic Side Effects of Xanax
A Comparison of Effexor to Wellbutrin
Bad Side Effects From Wellbutrin
Side Effects of Taking Wellbutrin and Celexa
Medications Used for Anxiety That Help With Weight Loss
How Does Lamictal Work on Depression?
The Side Effects of Lexapro & Grapefruit
Side Effects of Effexor 37.5Mg
Grapefruit & Celexa
A List of Antidepressants That Do Not Cause Vertigo
- DailyMed: Celexa - Citalopram Hydrobromide Tablet, Film Coated
- Current Psychiatry: How to Control Weight Gain When Prescribing Antidepressants
- Handbook of Psychiatric Drug Therapy; Lawrence A. Labbate, M.D., et al.
- Journal of Obesity: Weight Gain, Obesity, and Psychotropic Prescribing
- Neumann ID, Landgraf R. Balance of brain oxytocin and vasopressin: implications for anxiety, depression, and social behaviors. Trends Neurosci. 2012;35(11):649-59. doi:10.1016/j.tins.2012.08.004
- Food and Drug Administration. Celexa label.
- Food and Drug Administration. Revisions to Product Labeling.
- Silverman HM. The Pill Book. 14th ed. Bantam Books; 2011.
Marcy Brinkley has been writing professionally since 2007. Her work has appeared in "Chicken Soup for the Soul," "Texas Health Law Reporter" and the "State Bar of Texas Health Law Section Report." Her degrees include a Bachelor of Science in Nursing; a Master of Business Administration; and a Doctor of Jurisprudence.