What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
As described by the Mayo Clinic, a stye is a small bump caused by the infection of an eyelash follicle 1. Several lifestyle changes can be made to reduce the occurrence of styes. Do not use old eye makeup or stop using eye makeup altogether. Wash your hands regularly, especially if you wear contacts. Improve your diet and overall health, because styes are a sign of a depressed immune system. You need to seek help if a stye interferes with your vision or you are continuously getting them, otherwise you can treat them yourself with herbal remedies.
As shown by naturopathy expert Dr. Geovanni Espinosa in "1000 Cures for 200 Ailments", the potato has astringent qualities that shrink body tissues and can give relief to skin irritations 2. To utilize a potato in this manner, grate it, wrap it in cheesecloth and apply it directly to the stye.
Mint Tea & Eyes
According to the "PDR for Herbal Medicine", while goldenseal has not been studied extensively, its active compounds--berberine and hydrastine--have. These studies provide evidence of goldenseal's antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and astringent properties. Goldenseal is used in enough eye-remedies that it is also traditionally known as eye balm and eye root. Goldenseal extract is a bright yellow liquid. To use it to treat a stye, mix it into an eyewash, or use an eyedropper to drop it into the eye four times a day.
- According to the "PDR for Herbal Medicine", while goldenseal has not been studied extensively, its active compounds--berberine and hydrastine--have.
In "1000 Cures for 200 Ailments", both herbalism expert Dr. David Kiefer and naturopathy expert Dr. Geovanni Espinosa suggest making a compress out of chamomile, for its anti-inflammatory effects 2. Steep 1 tsp. dried chamomile in 1 cup hot water. Strain the herb out, then soak a cloth in the liquid and place it on your closed eye for five to 10 minutes. Do this whenever you need relief from the inflammation. Dr. Geovanni says that fennel seeds and marigold can also be used in the same manner.
- In "1000 Cures for 200 Ailments", both herbalism expert Dr. David Kiefer and naturopathy expert Dr. Geovanni Espinosa suggest making a compress out of chamomile, for its anti-inflammatory effects 2.
How to Get Rid of a Sty on Your Eye
According to the "PDR for Herbal Medicine", eyebright is used by traditional medicine in the treatment of many eye problems, including styes. The chemical compounds found in eyebright are anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial. The strongest is aucubin, which has been proven in studies to have anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties, though eyebright itself hasn't been tested for eye treatment. In "1000 Cures for 200 Ailments", Dr. David Kiefer suggests that you make an infusion by steeping a handful of dried eyebright in a bowlful of boiling water 2. Once the infusion has cooled to warm temperature, strain it. Dip a washcloth into it, squeeze out the excess liquid and apply it to the closed eye. He warns that eyebright is only for external use.
- According to the "PDR for Herbal Medicine", eyebright is used by traditional medicine in the treatment of many eye problems, including styes.
Mint Tea & Eyes
How to Get Rid of a Sty on Your Eye
What Are the Health Benefits of Honeysuckle?
How to Get Rid of Red, Puffy Eyes
How to Treat a Sty in the Eye
Chamomile Tea Bags for Swollen Eye
Chamomile for Hair Loss
Natural Alternatives to Steroid Eyedrops
How to Get Rid of Swollen Eyes
- The Mayo Clinic: Sty
- "1000 Cures for 200 Ailments"; Editor Dr. Victor Sierpina; 2007
- "PDR for Herbal Medicines"; Thomson Healthcare Inc.; 2007
- Stoss M, Michels C, Peter E, Beutke R, Gorter RW. Prospective cohort trial of Euphrasia single-dose eye drops in conjunctivitis. J Altern Complement Med. 2000;6(6):499-508. doi:10.1089/acm.2000.6.499
- Paduch R, Woźniak A, Niedziela P, Rejdak R. Assessment of eyebright (euphrasia officinalis L.) extract activity in relation to human corneal cells using in vitro tests. Balkan Med J. 2014;31(1):29–36. doi:10.5152/balkanmedj.2014.8377
- Khalili M, Wong RJ. Underserved Does Not Mean Undeserved: Unfurling the HCV Care in the Safety Net. Dig Dis Sci. 2018;63(12):3250-3252. doi:10.1007/s10298-011-0674-x
- European Medicines Agency. Assessment report on Euphrasia officinalis L. and Euphrasia rostkoviana Hayne, herba. Published 2010.
- Patel D, Prasad S, Kumar R, Hemalatha S. An overview on antidiabetic medicinal plants having insulin mimetic property. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. 2012;2(4):320-330. doi:10.1016/s2221-1691(12)60032-x.
Jeffrey Rice became an ACE-accredited personal trainer in 2007, and began writing about fitness to support his business. Soon, however, he found himself writing more than training, and has since written health, fitness and supplement articles for numerous websites. He holds a M.F.A. in creative writing from Cleveland State University.