What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Klonopin is a member of the benzodiazepine family of drugs, and is used to treat seizure and panic disorders 1. Use of Klonopin comes with certain side-effect risks 1. In most cases, you can safely exercise while taking the medication, but not all activities are safe for you. Once you know more about risks, you can design a workout routine that works for you. Check with your doctor before beginning any new exercise program, especially if you have health problems or take medications.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Klonopin, a brand name for clonazepam, is used to treat anxiety and seizure disorders 12. The drug works by altering the chemicals in your brain that become unbalanced as a result of these types of disorders. By decreasing the unbalanced electrical activity in your brain, the drug makes it possible to control your seizures or anxiety.
Exercise & Aspirin
Regular physical activity is important in maintaining a healthy weight and protecting your health. If you take Klonopin, you can still exercise, but you should choose activities that can be done even if you experience side effects from the medication 1. Drowsiness or dizziness can make it unsafe to take a run or jog along a busy road. Problems with coordination can make it unsafe to lift weights, and unsteadiness can make swimming an unsafe activity. According to a 1994 study published in the "Journal of Applied Physiology," benzodiazepines such as Klonopine can alter your metabolism as well. An altered metabolism might affect your capacity for exercise.
- Regular physical activity is important in maintaining a healthy weight and protecting your health.
- Problems with coordination can make it unsafe to lift weights, and unsteadiness can make swimming an unsafe activity.
If you experience any of the side effects associated with taking Klonopin, choose your activities with care 1. Walk, run or jog on a treadmill so you are away from traffic, particularly if you experience unsteadiness or problems with coordination. Or take a walk with a friend instead. Your friend can help ensure your safety, and walking is an effective form of exercise. Use a stationary bike or an elliptical machine as alternatives that might allow you to maintain a better sense of balance. Certain yoga positions allow you to sit, so can also be a safe activity for you.
- If you experience any of the side effects associated with taking Klonopin, choose your activities with care 1.
- Walk, run or jog on a treadmill so you are away from traffic, particularly if you experience unsteadiness or problems with coordination.
How to Take Dramamine to Fall Asleep
If you experience side effects when taking Klonopin, schedule your exercise sessions before you take the medication 1. This might allow you to exercise without experiencing the side effects as strongly as you would if you exercised right after taking the drug. Request that a friend or family member accompany you for your workout so that if an accident occurs you are not alone. Ask your doctor if exercise is safe for you before starting any new workout routine. If you feel unsteady or unsafe while exercising, stop immediately and talk to your doctor.
- If you experience side effects when taking Klonopin, schedule your exercise sessions before you take the medication 1.
- If you feel unsteady or unsafe while exercising, stop immediately and talk to your doctor.
Exercise & Aspirin
How to Take Dramamine to Fall Asleep
Can Trampoline Rebounding Exercises Affect Hypertension?
Can Exercise Cause Seizures?
The Most Common Side Effects of Valium
Can I Take Valerian Root With Lexapro?
Side Effects of Propranolol
Side Effects of Esbelcaps
Body Aches From Not Exercising
Colofac Side Effects
- Drugs.com: Klonopin
- Medline Plus: Clonazepam
- Journal of Applied Physiology: Performance and Metabolic Effects of Benzodiazepine During Submaximal Exercise
- Masdrakis VG, Turic D, Baldwin DS. Pharmacological treatment of social anxiety disorder. Mod Trends Pharmacopsychiatry. 2013;29:144-153. doi:10.1159/000351960
- Genentech, Inc. Klonopin Tablets (Clonazepam). U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Updated October 2013.
- Sperry L. Klonopin. In. Mental Health and Mental Disorders: An Encyclopedia of Conditions, Treatments, and Well-Being [3 Volumes]. ABC-CLIO; 2015:628-629. doi:9781440803833
- Harvard Health Publishing. 7 things you can do to avoid drug interactions. Updated May 2016.
- Hollander E. Pharmacological Treatments for Social Anxiety. In: Coping with Social Anxiety. New York: Holt Paperbacks; 2005:172. doi:9781429997034
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). Clonazepam (Klonopin) Updated January 2019.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. Safe Disposal of Medicines. Updated June 13, 2019.
- Kaiser Permanente. Clonazepam. Updated March 2015.
Sara Ipatenco has taught writing, health and nutrition. She started writing in 2007 and has been published in Teaching Tolerance magazine. Ipatenco holds a bachelor's degree and a master's degree in education, both from the University of Denver.