Lexapro is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor, or SSRI, that’s used to treat depression and anxiety. While SSRIs in general are considered safe, they can cause dangerous reactions when combined with some herbal remedies. Lexapro and valerian have a drug interaction that is classified as moderate, according to Drugs.com 234. Do not use this combination without consulting your doctor.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Lexapro is available by prescription only is the brand name for the drug escitalopram. It works by blocking the reabsorption, commonly referred to as reuptake, of serotonin, a brain neurotransmitter. Altering your brain’s balance of serotonin helps your brain cells deliver and receive chemical messages, which boosts your mood. Valerian root is most often used to treat stress, anxiety and insomnia 3. This herbal remedy is approved by Germany’s Commission E, that country’s regulatory body for herbs, to treat restlessness and insomnia that’s caused by anxiety.
- Lexapro is available by prescription only is the brand name for the drug escitalopram.
- This herbal remedy is approved by Germany’s Commission E, that country’s regulatory body for herbs, to treat restlessness and insomnia that’s caused by anxiety.
Adderall and Calcium
Taking Lexapro and valerian together raises your risk for excessive sedation, drowsiness or dizziness 3. The combination may increase depression of your central nervous and respiratory systems. Consult your doctor before you take valerian along with Lexapro 3. If your doctor allows the combination, you need to avoid activities that require mental alertness and motor coordination until you know how this combination affects you.
Even if your doctor OKs using the combination, you need to be monitored. Notify your health care provider if you experience prolonged or excessive central nervous system effects that interfere with your regular, daily activities. The effects of Lexapro and valerian may be especially pronounced if you are elderly or debilitated, notes drugs.com 234.
Side Effects of Esbelcaps
Avoid alcohol if you are taking this combination. Alcohol can increase drowsiness when taken with valerian and can increase side effects of Lexapro 3. Also avoid monoamine oxidase inhibitors, or MAOIs, and avoid taking Lexapro within 14 days of using an MAIO. Do not use at the same time as citalopram, another SSRI.Combining SSRIs raises risk for serotonin syndrome, a potentially fatal condition in which serotonin levels are raised too high.
- Avoid alcohol if you are taking this combination.
- Also avoid monoamine oxidase inhibitors, or MAOIs, and avoid taking Lexapro within 14 days of using an MAIO.
Antidepressants like Lexapro can raise risk for suicidal thinking and behavior. SSRI side effects can include:
- erectile dysfunction
- insomnia or drowsiness
- gastrointestinal problems
Adderall and Calcium
Side Effects of Esbelcaps
What Are the Effects of 10 mg of Valium?
What Herbs Interact With Paxil?
5-HTP & Lexapro
What Supplements & Herbs Interact With Hydrochlorothiazide?
Prozac & Diet Pills
Drugs to Avoid If You Take Lexapro
Appetite Loss and Concerta
Side Effects of a Melatonin Overdose
- “The Essential Herb-Drug-Vitamin Interaction Guide”; George T. Grossberg and Barry Fox; 2007
- Drugs.com: Drug Interactions Between Lexapro and Valerian
- Drugs.com: Valerian
- Drugs.com: Lexapro
- Steyn SF, Harvey BH, Brink CB. Immediate and long-term antidepressive-like effects of pre-pubertal escitalopram and omega-3 supplementation combination in young adult stress-sensitive rats. Behav Brain Res. 2018;351:49-62. doi:10.1016/j.bbr.2018.05.021
- Landy K, Estevez R. Escitalopram. StatPearls Updated May 6, 2020.
- Guzman F. Citalopram and escitalopram. Psychopharmacology Institute.
- Freeman EW, Guthrie KA, Caan B, et al. Efficacy of escitalopram for hot flashes in healthy menopausal women: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2011;305(3):267-274. doi:10.1001/jama.2010.2016
- Aga VM. When and how to treat agitation in Alzheimer's disease dementia with citalopram and escitalopram. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2019;27(10):1099-1107. doi:10.1016/j.jagp.2019.04.016
- Li C, Chen L, Huo N, et al. Generic escitalopram initiation and substitution among Medicare beneficiaries: A new user cohort study. PLoS One. 2020;15(4):e0232226. Published 2020 Apr 30. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0232226
- Food and Drug Administration. Lexapro label. Updated January 2017.
- Florio V, Porcelli S, Saria A, Serretti A, Conca A. Escitalopram plasma levels and antidepressant response. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2017;27(9):940-944. doi:10.1016/j.euroneuro.2017.06.009
Linda Tarr Kent is a reporter and editor with more than 20 years experience at Gannett Company Inc., The McClatchy Company, Sound Publishing Inc., Mach Publishing, MomFit The Movement and other companies. Her area of expertise is health and fitness. She is a Bosu fitness and stand-up paddle surfing instructor. Kent holds a bachelor's degree in journalism from Washington State University.