What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
If you suffer from gallbladder disease, eating pizza can trigger painful symptoms in your chest and even your back. Pizza contains a lot of fat, which is what triggers most gallbladder pain 2. If you have not been clinically diagnosed with gallbladder disease, you may confuse indigestion or heartburn for gallbladder pain. Make an appointment with your doctor to determine the cause of your pain and avoid eating pizza and other high-fat foods.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Gallbladder disease is the general term used to describe infection, inflammation, obstruction or stones in your gallbladder. Your gallbladder is a sac located by your liver that stores extra digestive fluid, called bile. Bile is a yellow substance that’s used to help your body digest fat so that it can be absorbed by the body and used for energy. The gallbladder can develop cholesterol deposits that form into pebble-like stones. Many people have gallstones and never develop symptoms. If your condition doesn’t pose any discomfort, your doctor may recommend keeping your gallbladder.
- Gallbladder disease is the general term used to describe infection, inflammation, obstruction or stones in your gallbladder.
- Your gallbladder is a sac located by your liver that stores extra digestive fluid, called bile.
Pizza and Pain
Arm Pain When Eating
According to PizzaHut.com, one slice of cheese pizza contains around 10 g of fat. Add the fat content of any meat toppings to that and the number can double or even triple. Consuming fat causes the gallbladder to contract and release extra bile into your stomach. If you have gallbladder disease and you consume pizza, the fat content can irritate your gallbladder or provide an opportunity for a gallstone to become lodged in the duct. Gallbladder pain is felt under your right ribcage and can feel tender to touch. The pain may be felt in your lower neck, your shoulders and upper-back. Call your doctor right away if you develop this type of pain.
- According to PizzaHut.com, one slice of cheese pizza contains around 10 g of fat.
- If you have gallbladder disease and you consume pizza, the fat content can irritate your gallbladder or provide an opportunity for a gallstone to become lodged in the duct.
Indigestion and Heartburn
If you haven’t been diagnosed with gallbladder disease, it’s possible that you may be confusing gallbladder pain with indigestion or heartburn. Pizza is a common trigger food for indigestion and heartburn because it is high in fat and is acidic from the tomato sauce. Indigestion is the feeling of fullness, bloating and the burning feeling in your upper-abdomen. Heartburn is a painful burning sensation that develops in the center of breast bone from stomach acid entering your esophagus, according to the National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse.
- If you haven’t been diagnosed with gallbladder disease, it’s possible that you may be confusing gallbladder pain with indigestion or heartburn.
- Indigestion is the feeling of fullness, bloating and the burning feeling in your upper-abdomen.
Gallbladder Pain & Oranges
If you develop consistent pain from your gallbladder, the most effective treatment is having it surgically removed. If the pain is controllable by a modified diet, your doctor may leave the gallbladder in and prescribe certain medications that help dissolve gallstones over time.
Arm Pain When Eating
Gallbladder Pain & Oranges
What Are the Causes of Pain Under the Right Shoulder Blade?
Upper-Right Side Abdominal Pain After Eating Steak
Stomach Cramps & Fatty Pork
Pain in the Center of the Chest After Eating
Pain Under the Ribs After Eating
Does Dairy Cause Gallbladder Pain?
Stomach & Back Pains After Eating Popcorn & Sunflower Seeds
Pain in the Left Shoulder After Eating
- Pizza Hut: Nutritional Facts
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Gallbladder Disease
- Njeze GE. Gallstones. Niger J Surg. 2013;19(2):49-55. doi:10.4103/1117-6806.119236
- Maurer KJ, Carey MC, Fox JG. Roles of infection, inflammation, and the immune system in cholesterol gallstone formation. Gastroenterology. 2009;136(2):425-40. doi:10.1053/j.gastro.2008.12.031
- Halpin V. Acute cholecystitis. BMJ Clin Evid. 2014;2014:0411.
- Balmadrid B. Recent advances in management of acalculous cholecystitis. F1000Res. 2018;7: F1000 Faculty Rev-1660. doi:10.12688/f1000research.14886.1
- Ahmed M. Acute cholangitis - an update. World J Gastrointest Pathophysiol. 2018;9(1):1-7. doi:10.4291/wjgp.v9.i1.1
- Derici H, Kara C, Bozdag AD, Nazli O, Tansug T, Akca E. Diagnosis and treatment of gallbladder perforation. World J Gastroenterol. 2006;12(48):7832-6. doi:10.3748/wjg.v12.i48.7832
- Toouli J. Biliary Dyskinesia. Curr Treat Options Gastroenterol. 2002;5(4):285-291.
- Ahmed M, Diggory R. Acalculous gallbladder disease: the outcomes of treatment by laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2011;93(3):209-12. doi:10.1308/003588411X563402
- Shaffer EA. Gallbladder cancer: the basics. Gastroenterol Hepatol (N Y). 2008;4(10):737-41.
- Wang JK, Foster SM, Wolff BG. Incidental gallstones. Perm J. 2009;13(2):50-4.
- Bree RL. Further observations on the usefulness of the sonographic Murphy sign in the evaluation of suspected acute cholecystitis. J Clin Ultrasound. 1995;23(3):169-72.
- Robinson P, Perkins JC. Approach to Patients with Epigastric Pain. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2016;34(2):191-210. doi:10.1016/j.emc.2015.12.012
- Pejić MA, Milić DJ. [Surgical treatment of polypoid lesions of gallbladder]. Srp Arh Celok Lek. 2003;131(7-8):319-24.
- Genc V, Sulaimanov M, Cipe G, et al. What necessitates the conversion to open cholecystectomy? A retrospective analysis of 5164 consecutive laparoscopic operations. Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2011;66(3):417-20. doi:10.1590/S1807-59322011000300009
- Katzarov AK, Dunkov ZI, Popadiin I, Katzarov KS. How to measure quality in endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP). Ann Transl Med. 2018;6(13):265. doi:10.21037/atm.2018.05.01
- Catalano MF, Thosani NC. (2016). Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. Howell DA (ed). UpToDate, Waltham, MA: UpToDate Inc.
- Lee JY, Keane MG, Pereira S. Diagnosis and treatment of gallstone disease. Practitioner. 2015 Jun;259(1783):15-9,2.
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. (n.d.). Gallstones. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/gallstones
- University of Maryland Medical Center. (2018). Gallstones and gallbladder disease. https://www.umms.org/ummc/patients-visitors/health-library/in-depth-patient-education-reports/articles/gallstones-and-gallbladder-disease
Diane Marks started her writing career in 2010 and has been in health care administration for more than 30 years. She holds a registered nurse license from Citizens General Hospital School of Nursing, a Bachelor of Arts in health care education from California University of Pennsylvania and a Master of Science in health administration from the University of Pittsburgh.