What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Potassium Deficiency & Candida
The interlocking pieces of the human body form one of the world’s few living and breathing puzzles. Each piece, or body system, is designed by a natural order that has used its form to create one unified image. Sometimes, this image is distorted by invaders like candida and health issues are born. Candida has a multitude of underlying causes many of which directly link to potassium deficiency.
The term “candida” encapsulates a range of yeast-like fungi that live in the mouth, skin, vagina and intestinal tract. Candida is usually harmless because it is used as food by healthy bacteria and other microorganisms in the body. When your immune system is disrupted by illness, antibiotics or a lack of healthy bacteria, the overgrowth of candida is highly probable. Medical conditions, such as thrush, female yeast infections and diaper rash are commonly seen in cases of candida overgrowth.
- The term “candida” encapsulates a range of yeast-like fungi that live in the mouth, skin, vagina and intestinal tract.
pH and Candida
Symptoms of Candida Fungi in the Lungs
Dr. Paul Eck of Analytical Research Labs says potassium deficiencies create a favorable alkalizing environment that perpetuates candida overgrowth. As an electrolyte, potassium also helps to regulate nerve and heart functions throughout the musculoskeletal system. Smooth muscle contractions, heart rhythm and peristalsis -- wave-like contractions in the digestive tract -- are three areas where potassium is vital. Potassium’s role in maintaining candida by aiding in the production of hydrochloric stomach acid and bile excretion is lesser known.
- Dr. Paul Eck of Analytical Research Labs says potassium deficiencies create a favorable alkalizing environment that perpetuates candida overgrowth.
- As an electrolyte, potassium also helps to regulate nerve and heart functions throughout the musculoskeletal system.
The universal symptoms of candida overgrowth are often misdiagnosed. While fatigue, abdominal cramping, skin irritation and severe itching are common symptoms of candida, lesser known symptoms include irritable bowel syndrome and depression or mood swings. A candida outbreak actually mimics many of the symptoms of potassium deficiency and so falls under the radar during doctor visits. In his book “Lifeforce,” Dr. Jeffrey McCombs says that sugar and carbohydrate cravings are definitive tell tales in candida overgrowth.
- The universal symptoms of candida overgrowth are often misdiagnosed.
- A candida outbreak actually mimics many of the symptoms of potassium deficiency and so falls under the radar during doctor visits.
Yeast Infections & Vitamins
Candida overgrowth is sometimes a reflection of lacking digestive enzymes. In this case, enzyme therapy that utilizes fresh fruits -- pineapple and papaya are the best -- and vegetables along with daily probiotic supplements that offer many different strands of bacteria. The University of Maryland Medical Center states that diets rich in salt -- i.e 2. processed foods -- may require increases in potassium to maintain the sodium/potassium balance required by cells to function at an optimal level.
As a byproduct of sorbic acid, potassium sorbate is often used to stop fermentation processes in foods and beverages. Potassium sorbate is actually the salt of sorbic acid used in many commercial products for its purported yeast haltering action. Along with potassium sorbate, McCombs recommends avoiding all sugars and carbohydrates as they feed candida helping them to grow throughout the body and create serious medical conditions. In addition, aerobic exercise or sauna sessions will help remove excess toxins that candida disperses.
- As a byproduct of sorbic acid, potassium sorbate is often used to stop fermentation processes in foods and beverages.
- Potassium sorbate is actually the salt of sorbic acid used in many commercial products for its purported yeast haltering action.
Symptoms of Candida Fungi in the Lungs
Yeast Infections & Vitamins
How Much Potassium Does a Female Need?
Red Cherries & Potassium
Intestinal Yeast & Body Odor
How Long Does it Take to Kill Candida?
What Causes Fungus in the Body?
Common Human Parasites
What Is Potassium Oleate?
Potassium and Magnesium Supplements
- National Institutes of Health: Thrush
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Potassium
- Uma B, Prabhakar K, Rajendran S. Anticandidal activity of Asparagus racemosus. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2009;71(3):342-343. doi:10.4103/0250-474X.56017
- Mitsou EK, Kougia E, Nomikos T, et al. Effect of banana consumption on faecal microbiota: a randomised, controlled trial. Anaerobe. 2011 Dec;17(6):384-7. doi:10.1016/j.anaerobe.2011.03.018
- Ksouri S, Djebir S, Bentorki AA, et al. Antifungal activity of essential oils extract from Origanum floribundum Munby, Rosmarinus officinalis L. and Thymus ciliatus Desf. against Candida albicans isolated from bovine clinical mastitis. J Mycol Med. 2017;27(2):245-249. doi:10.1016/j.mycmed.2017.03.004.
- Zhang N, Huang X, Zeng, Y, et al. Study on prebiotic effectiveness of neutral garlic fructan in vitro. Food Sci Nutr. 2013;2(3-4):119-123. doi:10.1016/j.fshw.2013.07.001
- Weerasekera MM, Jayarathna TA, Wijesinghe GK, et al. The effect of nutritive and non-nutritive sweeteners on the growth, adhesion, and biofilm formation of Candida albicans and Candida tropicalis. Med Princ Pract. 2017;26(6):554-560. doi:10.1159/000484718
- Yang AM, Inamine T, Hochrath K, et al. Intestinal fungi contribute to development of alcoholic liver disease. J Clin Invest. 2017;127(7):2829-2841. doi:10.1172/JCI90562
- Sheth CC, Makda K, Dilmahomed Z, et al. Alcohol and tobacco consumption affect the oral carriage of Candida albicans and mutans streptococci. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2016;63(4):254-9. doi:10.1111/lam.12620
- Lei L, Ou L, Yu X. The antioxidant effect of Asparagus cochinchinensis (Lour.) Merr. shoot in D-galactose induced mice aging model and in vitro. J Chin Med Assoc. 2016 Apr;79(4):205-11. doi:10.1016/j.jcma.2015.06.023
- Oliveira VMC, Santos SSF, Silva, CRG, et al. Lactobacillus is able to alter the virulence and the sensitivity profile of Candida albicans. J. Appl. Microbiol. 2016;121(6):1737-1744. doi:10.1111/jam.13289
- "Lifeforce;" Jeffrey McCombs, M.D.
Based near America's "Gateway to the West," Li St. Michael has been writing professionally since 2005. Her culturally minded articles have appeared on various websites. St. Michael holds a Bachelor of Science in writing from Drury University and is set to receive a Masters degree in international relations in 2011.