What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Dry, red skin around the mouth is an uncomfortable problem. Dry skin is often accompanied by itchiness, which leads to further inflammation of the skin. There are a variety of causes for dry, red skin around the mouth. Learning the underlying cause and creating a treatment plan will help you minimize the discomfort and prevent this condition in the future.
It’s not uncommon for inflammation to accompany dry, red skin around the mouth. Underlying health conditions, such as dermatitis or psoriasis, and over washing the skin may cause this issue. Although less common, internal diseases, such as celiac disease, iron deficiency and thyroid issues can cause mouth skin dryness. Consult your doctor if you have chronic dry, red skin on your face.
- It’s not uncommon for inflammation to accompany dry, red skin around the mouth.
- Although less common, internal diseases, such as celiac disease, iron deficiency and thyroid issues can cause mouth skin dryness.
Red Itchy Skin Under the Eyes
If you have itchy skin around your mouth, apply a nonprescription corticosteroid cream to your skin. After applying the topical cream, use a wet dressing to cover the area. Oral antihistamines are another over-the-counter option for treating dry, red skin around the mouth.
Dry, red skin that doesn’t respond to nonprescription methods may respond to prescription corticosteroid creams, according to MayoClinic.com 1. Your dermatologist can prescribe a stronger product. Phototherapy treatments, also available through your dermatologist, may assist if itching isn’t responsive to other treatment methods.
- If you have itchy skin around your mouth, apply a nonprescription corticosteroid cream to your skin.
- Phototherapy treatments, also available through your dermatologist, may assist if itching isn’t responsive to other treatment methods.
Allergies can cause dryness around the mouth. Cosmetics and other facial products can trigger allergies, according to MayoClinic.com. Choose mild soaps that don’t contain fragrances or dyes to prevent dryness and itching. Food allergies can also cause irritation around the mouth. The best approach to finding out the cause of your dry, red skin is to consult a dermatologist.
- Allergies can cause dryness around the mouth.
- Choose mild soaps that don’t contain fragrances or dyes to prevent dryness and itching.
Betaderm Side Effects
Some people make the mistake of taking hot baths and showers or washing their faces with hot water. This, however, can make red, itchy mouth skin worse. Take cool baths, and add oatmeal and baking soda to the water to soothe skin. Use an unscented, dye-free moisturizer within three minutes of washing your face, recommends the American Academy of Dermatology 2. This will lock in moisturizer and soothe the skin.
- Some people make the mistake of taking hot baths and showers or washing their faces with hot water.
- Use an unscented, dye-free moisturizer within three minutes of washing your face, recommends the American Academy of Dermatology 2.
Avoid scratching red or itchy skin around your mouth, as this will increase the inflammation and may cause scarring, according to MayoClinic.com 1. If red, itchy skin is interfering with your sleep or isn’t responding to other treatment methods, contact your doctor. She can examine your condition, diagnose the underlying cause and recommend treatment.
Red Itchy Skin Under the Eyes
Betaderm Side Effects
Can Milk Thistle Cause Skin Rashes?
Itchy Facial Skin
Allergy & Itchy Hands and Feet
How to Get Rid of Pimples Without Scarring
I Have Itchy Skin on My Upper Back
How to Get the Red out of Skin Irritation
Itchy Red Circles on the Skin
How to Reduce Redness Around the Crease of the Nose
- MayoClinic: Itchy Skin, Pruritus
- American Academy of Dermatology: 10 Tips for Relieving Dry Skin
- Harvard Medical School Harvard Health Publishing. 9 ways to banish dry skin.
- Farage MA, Miller KW, Elsner P, Maibach HI. Characteristics of the aging skin. Advances in Wound Care. 2013;2(1):5-10. doi:10.1089/wound.2011.0356
- Engebretsen K, Johansen J, Kezic S, Linneberg A, Thyssen J. The effect of environmental humidity and temperature on skin barrier function and dermatitis. J Eur Acad Dermatol and Venereol. 2016;30(2):223-249. doi:10.1111/jdv.13301
- Goad N, Gawkrodger D. Ambient humidity and the skin: the impact of air humidity in healthy and diseased states. J Eur Acad Dermatol and Venereol. 2016;30(8):1285-1294. doi:10.1111/jdv.13707
- Flament F, Bazin R, Rubert , Simonpietri , Piot B, Laquieze. Effect of the sun on visible clinical signs of aging in Caucasian skin. CCID. 2013;6: 221–232. doi:10.2147/CCID.S44686
- Penn Medicine. The winter itch: what causes dry skin, and what you can do about it. Updated January 30, 2017.
- U.S. Pharmacist. Causes and treatment of dry skin. Updated April 23, 2012.
- Griffiths CEM, van de Kerkhof P, Czarnecka-Operacz M. Psoriasis and atopic dermatitis. Dermatol Ther (Heidelb). 2017;7(S1):31-41. doi:10.1007/s13555-016-0167-9
- Combs SA, Teixeira JP, Germain MJ. Pruritus in kidney disease. Seminars in Nephrology. 2015;35(4):383-391. doi:10.1016/j.semnephrol.2015.06.009
Nicki Howell started her professional writing career in 2002, specializing in areas such as health, fitness and personal finance. She has been published at health care websites, such as HealthTree, and is a ghostwriter for a variety of small health care organizations. She earned a Bachelor of Science in business administration from Portland State University.