What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
The Stewardess diet is a fad diet also sometimes called the cabbage soup diet, the Sacred Heart Hospital diet or the Mayo Clinic diet 13. It is a very low-calorie diet that dates back to at least the 1950s. Although you may lose some weight on this diet, it doesn't provide enough nutrients, and the weight loss isn't likely to last once you go back to eating your normal diet. Talk with your doctor before starting this or any diet.
The key component to this diet is cabbage soup 123. The first day you eat as much soup as you want, along with water, unsweetened tea, cranberry juice and any fruit but bananas. The next day, you eat the soup along with nonstarchy vegetables and a baked potato with butter. Day three involves eating just soup, fruits and vegetables. Day four you eat up to eight bananas along with soup and skim milk. The fifth day you eat up to six tomatoes, 10 to 20 ounces of beef or skinless chicken and at least one bowl of soup. The sixth day you eat meat along with nonstarchy vegetables, and the final day you can only eat soup, unsweetened fruit juice, nonstarchy vegetables and brown rice.
- The key component to this diet is cabbage soup 1.
- The sixth day you eat meat along with nonstarchy vegetables, and the final day you can only eat soup, unsweetened fruit juice, nonstarchy vegetables and brown rice.
Fat-Burning Vegetable Soup
You shouldn't stay on this diet for more than one week because of the very limited number of calories and the lack of essential nutrients. If you don't want to gain back the weight you lose during the week, you'll need to transition into a healthier reduced-calorie diet that provides enough calories so you have the energy to exercise.
Weight Loss Potential
You're likely to lose some weight on this diet if you can manage to stick with it, but that won't be due to any magical properties of the cabbage soup 13. It's because the diet is extremely low in calories. Although the exact number of calories on this diet varies based on how much of the allowed foods you eat each day, the Stewardess diet is usually classified as a very low-calorie diet. These diets typically contain 800 calories or fewer per day. Most of what you lose will most likely be water weight, not fat, so once you go back to eating normally it will come right back. A healthy weight-loss diet provides at least 1,200 calories per day for women and at least 1,800 calories per day for men.
- You're likely to lose some weight on this diet if you can manage to stick with it, but that won't be due to any magical properties of the cabbage soup 1.
- Although the exact number of calories on this diet varies based on how much of the allowed foods you eat each day, the Stewardess diet is usually classified as a very low-calorie diet.
Side Effects and Considerations
The Onion Soup Diet
The low calorie content of the Stewardess diet may cause you to have difficulty concentrating and make you feel weak and lightheaded. You'll also most likely be hungry. You'd be better off choosing a healthy and safe weight-loss program 4. Look for a diet that doesn't exclude any food groups, promises no more than 1 to 2 pounds of weight loss per week, includes both diet and exercise recommendations and incorporates a maintenance phase to teach you the diet and lifestyle changes you need to make to keep the weight off once you lose it.
- The low calorie content of the Stewardess diet may cause you to have difficulty concentrating and make you feel weak and lightheaded.
Fat-Burning Vegetable Soup
The Onion Soup Diet
Egg & Toast Diet
Weight Loss With Lemon & Sea Salt
Anti Candida Diet & Constipation
How Fast Can You Lose Weight on Atkins?
How to Lose Fat Around the Hips and Lower Back
Atkins Diet Proportion Fat & Protein on Induction
Fruit & Egg Diet
- Diet.com: Cabbage Soup Diet
- Fox News: Cabbage Soup Diet: Quick Results?
- Diets in Review: Cabbage Soup Diet
- Michigan Health and Wellness: Characteristics of Safe Weight Loss Programs
- www.cabbage-soup-diet.com. Considering the Cabbage Soup Diet? …You’ve come to the right place!! Updated 04-01-2018.
- US Department of Agriculture. Choose MyPlate. US Department of Agriculture 2020.
- Kellingray L, Tapp HS, Saha S, Doleman JF, Narbad A, Mithen RF. Consumption of a diet rich in Brassica vegetables is associated with a reduced abundance of sulphate-reducing bacteria: A randomised crossover study. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2017;61(9) doi:10.1002/mnfr.201600992
Based in Massachusetts, Jessica Bruso has been writing since 2008. She holds a master of science degree in food policy and applied nutrition and a bachelor of arts degree in international relations, both from Tufts University.