What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Potassium and testosterone levels play a key role in how your body develops. Low testosterone levels could lead to testosterone replacement therapy 3. These treatments may benefit you, but care should be taken to evaluate lab results for other abnormalities. According to the Cleveland Clinic, these may include a change in potassium levels, red blood cells, cholesterol concentrations, or a decrease in sperm count.
Male sexual characteristics are dependent upon the production of testosterone from the testicles. Muscle bulk and bone density are features that are influenced by the amount of testosterone. According to the Cleveland Clinic, testosterone is also important in keeping a sense of well being 3. If you have a low sense of well-being, lethargy, low libido, erectile dysfunction, or are feeling depressed, you may be having symptoms of low testosterone. If this is true, you may benefit from testosterone replacement therapy 3.
Arrhythmia & Potassium Deficiency
Testosterone replacement therapy can be prescribed by your doctor after he has confirmed your low testosterone levels 3. The testosterone hormone can be given by intramuscular injections, body or scrotum patches, and also in a gel form that can be rubbed into the body. Your doctor will know which therapy treatment would be best for you. The Testosterone Report states that care should be taken if you are using the patches or gels to assure that your partner or another individual does not come into contact with the product. This could cause an increase in testosterone levels and create unwanted side effects.
- Testosterone replacement therapy can be prescribed by your doctor after he has confirmed your low testosterone levels 3.
- The Testosterone Report states that care should be taken if you are using the patches or gels to assure that your partner or another individual does not come into contact with the product.
Potassium helps with the conduction of electricity throughout your body. This electrolyte functionality is crucial in helping the muscles in your heart and body to contract, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center 4. It is important to have the correct amount of potassium in your blood levels to ensure that your cells function correctly. If you are having testosterone therapy treatments, you need to know that your potassium levels may be affected.
- Potassium helps with the conduction of electricity throughout your body.
- It is important to have the correct amount of potassium in your blood levels to ensure that your cells function correctly.
What Are the Dangers of High Potassium?
In a study published by "Neurology," individuals were given a 10 to 13 week testosterone therapy treatment with weekly injections of testosterone. That study showed that at the end of the treatments, their potassium levels rose by 16 percent. One of the side effects of testosterone therapy treatment is the retention of potassium. Due to this increase, you should discuss with your doctor whether you should avoid high potassium foods or if any medication changes are needed.
- In a study published by "Neurology," individuals were given a 10 to 13 week testosterone therapy treatment with weekly injections of testosterone.
Although there is a link to higher potassium levels with testosterone replacement therapy, more studies are needed to determine the significance of these findings 3. Your doctor will be able to decide if the risk of a high potassium level outweighs the risk of low testosterone. With lab tests and medications, your doctor should be able to keep a good balance between the two.
Arrhythmia & Potassium Deficiency
What Are the Dangers of High Potassium?
Potassium Deficiency and Dry Eyes
Magnesium & Excessive Sweating
Do Lupus Patients Usually Have Low Vitamin D & Potassium?
Electrolyte Imbalance & Bradycardia
Is Low Potassium Associated With UTIs?
What Does a High TSH Level Mean?
Menstrual Cycle & Low Potassium
Can Low Potassium Cause Death?
- American Academy of Neurology
- Testosterone Report: Testosterone: The Vital Key to Protecting Your Health and Extending Your Life
- Cleveland Clinic: Testosterone Replacement Therapy
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Potassium
- Stanworth RD, Jones TH. Testosterone for the aging male; current evidence and recommended practice. Clin Interv Aging. 2008;3(1):25–44. doi:10.2147/cia.s190
- McBride JA, Carson CC 3rd, Coward RM. Testosterone deficiency in the aging male. Ther Adv Urol. 2016;8(1):47–60. doi:10.1177/1756287215612961
- Kumar P, Kumar N, Thakur DS, Patidar A. Male hypogonadism: Symptoms and treatment. J Adv Pharm Technol Res. 2010;1(3):297–301. doi:10.4103/0110-5558.72420
- Johnson JM, Nachtigall LB, Stern TA. The effect of testosterone levels on mood in men: a review. Psychosomatics. 2013;54(6):509-14.
- Rajfer J. Relationship between testosterone and erectile dysfunction. Rev Urol. 2000;2(2):122–128.
- Barrett-Connor E, Dam TT, Stone K, et al. The association of testosterone levels with overall sleep quality, sleep architecture, and sleep-disordered breathing. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008;93(7):2602–2609. doi:10.1210/jc.2007-2622
- Beauchet O. Testosterone and cognitive function: current clinical evidence of a relationship. Eur J Endocrinol. 2006;155(6):773-81.
- Golds G, Houdek D, Arnason T. Male Hypogonadism and Osteoporosis: The Effects, Clinical Consequences, and Treatment of Testosterone Deficiency in Bone Health. Int J Endocrinol. 2017;2017:4602129. doi:10.1155/2017/4602129
- Grossmann M, Thomas MC, Panagiotopoulos S, et al. Low testosterone levels are common and associated with insulin resistance in men with diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008;93(5):1834-40.
- Cai Z, Xi H, Pan Y, et al. Effect of testosterone deficiency on cholesterol metabolism in pigs fed a high-fat and high-cholesterol diet. Lipids Health Dis. 2015;14:18. Published 2015 Mar 7. doi:10.1186/s12944-015-0014-5
- Ferrucci L, Maggio M, Bandinelli S, et al. Low testosterone levels and the risk of anemia in older men and women. Arch Intern Med. 2006;166(13):1380–1388. doi:10.1001/archinte.166.13.1380
- Nassar GN, Leslie SW. Physiology, Testosterone. [Updated 2018 Oct 27]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK526128/
- Rivas AM, Mulkey Z, Lado-Abeal J, Yarbrough S. Diagnosing and managing low serum testosterone. Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent). 2014;27(4):321–324. doi:10.1080/08998280.2014.11929145
- Kanakis GA, Nieschlag E. Klinefelter syndrome: more than hypogonadism. Metab Clin Exp. 2018;86:135-144.
- Sizar O, Schwartz J. Hypogonadism. [Updated 2019 Jun 4]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK532933/
- Nahata L, Yu RN, Bhasin S, Cohen LE. Management of testosterone therapy in adolescents and young men with hypogonadism: are we following adult clinical practice guidelines?. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2015;28(5-6):635-40.
- McBride JA, Carson CC, Coward RM. Diagnosis and management of testosterone deficiency. Asian J Androl. 2015;17(2):177–186. doi:10.4103/1008-682X.143317
- Crawford ED, Poage W, Nyhuis A, et al. Measurement of testosterone: how important is a morning blood draw?. Curr Med Res Opin. 2015;31(10):1911-4.
- Wersinger SR, Haisenleder DJ, Lubahn DB, Rissman EF. Steroid feedback on gonadotropin release and pituitary gonadotropin subunit mRNA in mice lacking a functional estrogen receptor alpha. Endocrine. 1999;11(2):137-43.
- Rhoden EL, Estrada C, Levine L, Morgentaler A. The value of pituitary magnetic resonance imaging in men with hypogonadism. J Urol. 2003;170(3):795-8.
- Snyder PJ, Kopperdahl DL, Stephens-Shields AJ, et al. Effect of Testosterone Treatment on Volumetric Bone Density and Strength in Older Men With Low Testosterone: A Controlled Clinical Trial [published correction appears in JAMA Intern Med. 2017 Apr 1;177(4):600] [published correction appears in JAMA Intern Med. 2019 Mar 1;179(3):457]. JAMA Intern Med. 2017;177(4):471–479. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.9539
- Huo S, Scialli AR, McGarvey S, et al. Treatment of Men for "Low Testosterone": A Systematic Review. PLoS One. 2016;11(9):e0162480. Published 2016 Sep 21. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0162480
- Armamento-Villareal R, Aguirre LE, Qualls C, Villareal DT. Effect of Lifestyle Intervention on the Hormonal Profile of Frail, Obese Older Men. J Nutr Health Aging. 2016;20(3):334–340. doi:10.1007/s12603-016-0698-x
- American Urological Association. Evaluation and management of testosterone deficiency.
- Grech A, Breck J, Heidelbaugh J. Adverse effects of testosterone replacement therapy: an update on the evidence and controversy. Ther Adv Drug Saf. 2014;5(5):190–200. doi:10.1177/2042098614548680
- American Urological Association, Evaluation and Management of Testosterone Deficiency.
- Fillo J, Breza J Jr, Ondrusova M, Luha J, Ondrus D, Dubravicky J, et al. Results of long term testosterone replacement therapy in men with abdominal obesity, erectile dysfunction and testosterone deficiency. Bratisl Lek Listy. 2018;119(9):577-580. doi:10.4149/BLL_2018_061
- Tremellen K, McPhee N, Pearce K, Benson S, Schedlowski M, Engler H. Endotoxin-initiated inflammation reduces testosterone production in men of reproductive age. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2018 Mar 1;314(3):E206-E213. doi:10.1152/ajpendo.00279.2017. Epub 2017 Nov 28.
Matt Berry is a radiologic technologist who started writing professionally in 2007. He specializes in health and medical articles and has been published in "Radiologic Technology." Berry holds a Bachelor of Science in radiology technology from Mount Marty College and is credentialed in radiography and computed tomography with the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists.