What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Bone spurs, also called osteophytes, occur as bony growths along the bones, including the bones of the leg 1. Bone spurs may cause pain when they come in contact with nerves and bones 1. These growths often form in joints, like the leg joints of the hip, knee and ankle, but also commonly occur in the locations where ligaments and tendons attach to the bone. Various medications or even surgery may be recommended for treatment of bone spurs on the leg bone 1.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs
A prescription for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, also called NSAIDs, may help ease pain caused by bone spur irritation. According to Nathan Wei, M.D., decreasing inflammation in the tissue surrounding the bone spurs, including the leg joints of the knee, hip and ankle, can reduce pain 1.cause:
- According to Nathan Wei
- decreasing inflammation in the tissue surrounding the bone spurs
- including the leg joints of the knee
- can reduce pain 1
The American College of Gastroenterology warns that using NSAIDs may cause stomach ulcers or other gastrointestinal side effects
Kenalog Injection Vs. Cortisone Injection
Cortisone injections may reduce pain and inflammation resulting from irritation by bone spurs in the leg joints 1. The hips and the knees are among the most common sites of cortisone shots, reports MayoClinic.com 12. These injections normally consist of a corticosteroid medication and a local anesthetic. Side effects may include joint infection, thinning or death of nearby bones, nerve damage and weakness or rupture of tendons.
Physicians may recommend surgery to remove bone spurs in the joints located in the leg, like the knees and hips, particularly if these spurs have caused damage associated with osteoarthritis, a degeneration condition that wears away cartilage in the joint 1. According to the Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine department at the University of Washington, removing bone spurs is a vital part of joint replacement surgery when treating severe osteoarthritis caused by these growths 1.
Kenalog Injection Vs. Cortisone Injection
Causes of Pain in the Upper Left Hip
How to Get Rid of Folliculitis Scars
Causes of Fever & Pain in the Leg
Dull Aches in the Shin
Diseases That Affect the Tendons
What Are the Treatments for Bone Spurs on the Elbow?
Recovering From Finger Surgery
Treatment for Capsulitis of the Feet
How to Heal From Peroneal Tendon Surgery
- MayoClinic: Bone spurs
- MayoClinic.com: Cortisone Shots
- Finzel S, Sahinbegovic E, Kocijan R, et al. Inflammatory bone spur formation in psoriatic arthritis is different from bone spur formation in hand osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2014;66(11):2968-75. doi:10.1002/art.38794
- Mader R, Verlaan JJ, Eshed I, et al. Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH): where we are now and where to go next. RMD Open. 2017;3:rmdopen-2017-000472corr1. doi:10.1136/rmdopen-2017-000472corr1
- Wong SH, Chiu KY, Yan CH. Review Article: Osteophytes. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2016;24(3):403-410. doi:10.1177/1602400327
- Garving C, Jakob S, Bauer I, et al. Impingement syndrome of the shoulder. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2017;114(45):765-776. doi:10.3238/arztebl.2017.0765
- Cleveland Clinic. Is there any help for hard, painful bumps on your fingers from osteoarthritis? Updated April 2019.
- Goel A. Is it necessary to resect osteophytes in degenerative spondylotic myelopathy?. J Craniovertebr Junction Spine. 2013;4(1):1-2. doi:10.4103/0974-8237.121615
- Patel J, Swords M. Hallux rigidus. In: StatPearls. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; September 20, 2020.
- Wong SHJ, Chiu KY, Yan CH. Review article: Osteophytes. J Orthop Surg. 2016; 24(3):403-410. doi:10.1177/1602400327
Nicki Wolf has been writing health and human interest articles since 1986. Her work has been published at various cooking and nutrition websites. Wolf has an extensive background in medical/nutrition writing and online content development in the nonprofit arena. She graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in English from Temple University.