What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Debilitating depression is a mood disorder characterized by feelings of sadness, unhappiness and misery that interfere with the ability to engage in daily activities. Those with debilitating depression may not feel able to get out of bed in the morning and may spend the whole day sleeping.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
In addition to extreme feelings of sadness, those with debilitating depression may also experience restlessness, irritability, change in appetite, difficulty concentrating, fatigue and guilt, according to MedlinePlus. People with debilitating depression may also think about death frequently and experience suicidal thoughts.
What Is Morbid Depression?
The exact cause of debilitating depression is not known, but MayoClinic.com notes that a variety of factors could be involved 2. Physical brain abnormalities and chemical imbalances may cause depression that occurs without a trigger. Traumatic life events or trauma may also lead to debilitating depression.
Debilitating depression is usually treated with a combination of medications and regular behavioral therapy. MedlinePlus notes that individuals between the ages of 18 and 24 with debilitating depression should be monitored more closely due to an increased risk of developing suicidal thoughts.
What Is Morbid Depression?
L-Theanine and Depression
What Are the Benefits of Lexapro?
Can L-Tyrosine Be Used With Prozac?
Drug Interaction Between Lithium and Caffeine
Long- and Short-Term Effects of Depression
Side Effects of a Melatonin Overdose
5-HTP & Cortisol
How Much EPA & DHA Are in Chia Seeds?
Dissociation Symptoms of Major Depression
- Medline Plus: Major Depression
- MayoClinic.com: Depression
- Morris BH, Mcgrath AC, Goldman MS, Rottenberg J. Parental depression confers greater prospective depression risk to females than males in emerging adulthood. Child Psychiatry Hum Dev. 2014;45(1):78-89. doi:10.1007/s10578-013-0379-5
- Conner, KR, Pinquart, M, Gamble, SA. Meta-analysis of depression and substance use among individuals with alcohol use disorders. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2009;37(2):127-137. doi:10.1016/j.jsat.2008.11.007
- Bielen J, Melada A, Markelić I. Depression and circadian typology. Psychiatr Danub. 2015;27(2):190-2.
- Wichmann S, Kirschbaum C, Böhme C, Petrowski K. Cortisol stress response in post-traumatic stress disorder, panic disorder, and major depressive disorder patients. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2017;83:135-141.doi:10.1016/j.psyneuen.2017.06.005
- Kondziella D. The top 5 neurotransmitters from a clinical neurologist's perspective. Neurochem Res. 2017;42(6):1767-1771 doi:10.1007/s11064-016-2101-z
- Barth, J, Munder, T, Heike, G, Nuesch, E, Trelle, S, Hansjorg, Z, Juni, P, Cuijpers P. Comparative efficacy of seven psychotherapeutic interventions for patients with depression: A network meta-analysis. PLOS Medicine. 2013;10(5): e1001454. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001454
- Li F, Liu X, Zhang D. Fish consumption and risk of depression: A meta-analysis. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2016;70:299-304. doi:10.1136/jech-2015-206278
- Kvam, S, Kleppe, CL, Nordhus, IH, Hovland, A. Exercise as a treatment for depression: A meta-analysis. J Affect Disord. 2016 Sep;202:67-86. doi:10.1016/j.jad.2016.03.063
- National Alliance on Mental Illness. Risk of suicide. Updated August 2019.
Lindsay Boyers has a Bachelor of Science in nutrition from Framingham State College and a certificate in holistic nutrition from the American College of Healthcare Sciences. She is also a licensed aesthetician with advanced training in skincare and makeup. She plans to continue on with her education, complete a master's degree program in nutrition and, ultimately, become a registered dietitian.