What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Gallstones, which are hardened bile that forms small pebbles in the gallbladder, may block the flow of bile if they travel outside the gallbladder and cause inflammation. Physicians often recommend surgery or other treatment to dissolve stones with chemicals. Unless gallstones cause infection or pain, though, sufferers do not need professional medical intervention. There are several natural ways to pass gallstones and they include homemade gallbladder cleansing solutions, herbal treatments and acupuncture 3.
Those with gallstones may use a gallbladder cleanse, which is sometimes called a liver flush, to naturally encourage the passage of these stones. According to Liverdoctor.com, an effective cleansing or flush solution contains freshly squeezed citrus juice, grated garlic and ginger.
The gallbladder sufferer should drink several tablespoons of the mixture with several tablespoons of olive oil every fifteen minutes until the citrus mixture has been consumed. Warming the liver area with a hot water bottle or sitting in a hot bath may stimulate the bile ducts to dilate, making the stones easier to pass.
- Those with gallstones may use a gallbladder cleanse, which is sometimes called a liver flush, to naturally encourage the passage of these stones.
Natural Herbs for the Gallbladder
Chinese medicines used for the natural treatment of gallstones include rhubarb and mirabilitum to promote the expulsion of stones. These treatments relax the sphincter, encourage digestion and increase the flow of bile, all of which should help gallstones pass out of the body. Other Chinese herbal treatments focus on shrinking the gallstones in order to make them easier to pass in a natural manner. Chinese herbal treatments may take a single day to several months to work.
- Chinese medicines used for the natural treatment of gallstones include rhubarb and mirabilitum to promote the expulsion of stones.
- Other Chinese herbal treatments focus on shrinking the gallstones in order to make them easier to pass in a natural manner.
Acupuncture may be an effective means of ridding the body of gallstones in a natural way 3. According to the Yin Yang House Acupuncture and Wellness Center, many acupuncture options exist for the treatment of gallstones 23. If stones are small enough to pass through the bile duct, electrical stimulation used with the gallbladder pressure points on the back and front of the body can be effective. There are also other acupuncture methods to encourage gallbladder health and gallstone dissolution.
- Acupuncture may be an effective means of ridding the body of gallstones in a natural way 3.
- There are also other acupuncture methods to encourage gallbladder health and gallstone dissolution.
Natural Herbs for the Gallbladder
Gallbladder Stones & Ayurvedic Treatment
Herbal Remedies to Dissolve Kidney Stones
How to Use Olive Oil and Lemon Juice for Kidney Stones
Side Effects of Gallbladder Surgery
How to Cleanse Your Gallbladder
Acupuncture for Clogged Ears
Pear Juice & Gallbladder Stones
What Are the Benefits of Garlic, Lemon Water & Olive Oil?
Herbal Treatment for Liver Cirrhosis
- Liverdoctor.com: Gallbladder Disease
- Instructional Technology Marketplace Online: Treatment of Gallstones with Chinese Herbs and Acupuncture
- Yin Yang House: Acupuncture for Gallstones
- Reshetnyak VI. Concept of the pathogenesis and treatment of cholelithiasis. World J Hepatol. 2012;4(2):18-34. doi:10.4254/wjh.v4.i2.18
- Goktas SB, Manukyan M, Selimen D. Evaluation of Factors Affecting the Type of Gallstone. Indian J Surg. 2016;78(1):20-6. doi:10.1007/s12262-015-1313-9
- Behari A, Kapoor VK. Asymptomatic Gallstones (AsGS) - To Treat or Not to?. Indian J Surg. 2012;74(1):4-12. doi:10.1007/s12262-011-0376-5
- Baiu I, Hawn MT. Gallstones and Biliary Colic. JAMA. 2018;320(15):1612. doi:10.1001/jama.2018.11868
- Lee JY, Keane MG, Pereira S. Diagnosis and Treatment of Gallstone Disease. Practitioner. June 2015;259(1783):15-9, 2.
- Mayo Clinic Staff. Gallstones. Mayo Clinic. Updated November 17, 2017.
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Gallstones. National Institutes of Health. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Updated November 2017.
Nicki Wolf has been writing health and human interest articles since 1986. Her work has been published at various cooking and nutrition websites. Wolf has an extensive background in medical/nutrition writing and online content development in the nonprofit arena. She graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in English from Temple University.