What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Over 90 percent of people under 45 years of age, diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma will still be alive and disease free 10 years later, according to an analysis by Dr. Hermann Brenner from the German Cancer Research Center in Heidelberg published in the August 2009 issue of “The Oncologist.” Recurrent disease often remains highly treatable, making it important for survivors to know the key signs and symptoms that could signal a need for immediate medical attention 1.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Lymphoma is a cancer of the lymph glands and organs that manufacture or process lymph fluid, and the painless swelling of a lymph node, called lymphadenopathy, can herald the recurrence of Hodgkin’s lymphoma. This lump can be at the same place as original site or occurrence, or in any of the body’s lymph chains.
Skin Signs of Lung Cancer
When fever rises at night, the body is exhibiting a state of inflammation. In Hodgkin's lymphoma, lymphatic tissue becomes inflamed in response to the invading cancer cells and because lymph fluid cannot flow through the inflamed tissue. This inflammation happens primarily during the night and the fever results. Many people sleep through night fevers, but can tell they occurred when their night clothes and sheets are damp the next morning.
- When fever rises at night, the body is exhibiting a state of inflammation.
- This inflammation happens primarily during the night and the fever results.
Itching without a Rash
Dry, itchy skin can occur for a number of reasons, but when it happens to someone with a history of Hodgkin's lymphoma, a visit to an oncologist, or cancer specialist is in order. The medical term for itching without a rash or irritation of the skin is pruritus without excoriation, and it is another signal of lymphatic inflammation, but it can also be a sign of liver involvement.
Final Stages of AML in the Elderly
One place Hodgkin's lymphoma can metastasize is bone marrow, and sometimes bone pain, a limp or a spontaneous fracture is the clue that Hodgkin's has recurred. However, before the invasion is extensive, cancerous tissue displacing calcium in the bone will send this mineral into the blood. This increase in blood calcium, or hypercalcemia, causes subtle signs that are important for both Hodgkin's survivors and their families to recognize 2. Abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, constipation, frequent urination, muscle weakness or aches are symptoms listed by MayoClinic.com as easy-to-spot signs of hypercalcemia 2.cause:
- Abdominal pain
- frequent urination
- muscle weakness or aches are symptoms listed by MayoClinic.com as easy-to-spot signs of hypercalcemia 2
But lethargy and sadness can be mistaken for depression, and confusion can be written off as forgetfulness or distraction, when these are additional signs of hypercalcemia 2. It's important for family to feel free to point out to the survivor when they see these emotional symptoms, knowing that they could be warnings of bone involvement and recurrent disease.
- One place Hodgkin's lymphoma can metastasize is bone marrow, and sometimes bone pain, a limp or a spontaneous fracture is the clue that Hodgkin's has recurred.
- It's important for family to feel free to point out to the survivor when they see these emotional symptoms, knowing that they could be warnings of bone involvement and recurrent disease.
Coughing and shortness of breath can be the result of tumors occurring along the lymph chain in the center of the chest, or from extension of the disease into the lung tissue. And even a slight decrease in the oxygen level due to early lung involvement can cause anxiety and panic attacks. Hodgkin's survivors should inform their oncologists of any changes in their personalities, and receive physicals with oximetry and lung scans, based on these symptoms, to ensure early detection and treatment of recurrent disease.
Skin Signs of Lung Cancer
Final Stages of AML in the Elderly
Visible Signs of HIV
Diseases That Have Flu Symptoms
Bladder Cancer Symptoms in Women
Endometrial Tuberculosis Symptoms
How Does Lung Cancer Affect Your Body?
Ear Lymph Nodes Pain
How Does Breast Cancer Affect the Body?
What Causes Breast Calcification?
- “The Oncologist”; Survival Expectations of Patients Diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 2006–2010; Hermann Brenner, M.D. et al; August 2009
- Mayo Clinic: Hypercalcemia
- National Organization for Rare Disorders website. Hodgkin’s Disease.
- Van leeuwen FE. Chorus AM. Van den belt-dusebout AW. et al. Leukemia risk following Hodgkin's disease: relation to cumulative dose of alkylating agents, treatment with teniposide combinations, number of episodes of chemotherapy, and bone marrow damage. J Clin Oncol. 1994;12(5):1063-73. doi:10.1200/JCO.19126.96.36.1993
- Van leeuwen FE. Klokman WJ. Veer MB. et al. Long-term risk of second malignancy in survivors of Hodgkin's disease treated during adolescence or young adulthood. J Clin Oncol. 2000;18(3):487-97. doi:10.1200/JCO.2000.18.3.487
- Van leeuwen FE. Klokman WJ. Stovall M. et al. Roles of radiotherapy and smoking in lung cancer following Hodgkin's disease. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1995;87(20):1530-7. doi:10.1093/jnci/87.20.1530
- Hull MC. Morris CG. Pepine CJ. Mendenhall NP. Valvular dysfunction and carotid, subclavian, and coronary artery disease in survivors of hodgkin lymphoma treated with radiation therapy. JAMA. 2003;290(21):2831-7. doi:10.1001/jama.290.21.2831
- American Cancer Society website. Signs and Symptoms of Hodgkin Lymphoma. May 2018.
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society website. Hodgkin Lymphoma Signs and Symptoms.
- Mayo Clinic website. Hodgkin’s lymphoma (Hodgkin’s disease). March 2018.
- Ng Andrea. LaCasce Ann. Travis Lois. Long-Term Complications of Lymphoma and Its Treatment. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2011;29(14): 1885-1892. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2010.32.8427
Walli Carranza is a professor, author, Certified Professional Coach and national speaker who brings medical and educational discoveries to front-line providers and the public alike. Her writings include "Six Seasons of Optimal Wellness," "8 Realms of Life by Intention," "Zero Balance Day" and "Body ReCreation." Carranza holds a Doctor of Nursing from the University of Texas, Austin.