How Are Essential Oils Extracted From Plants?
Homemade essential oils are an excellent alternative to expensive commercial aromatherapy oils 3. Making essential oils is very simple, especially if you have a garden full of flowers and herbs. You can extract essential oils in several different ways, from the most basic sunlight infusion method to the purchase of a distillation kit. If you have never made essential oils, the infusion method is the first one you should try. Most essential oils are meant to be used to add fragrance to potpourri, cosmetics or ointments. They are not meant to be ingested, because many plant oils are toxic when concentrated.
Cut up the flowers and herbs you wish to use. Six tablespoons is a good amount to start with, but it doesn’t have to be exact.
How to Make Your Own Massage Lotion
Fill a small jar about half-way with whatever herbs, flowers and spices you prefer. You can also add spices like cinnamon and clove to add a little extra fragrance. Don’t be afraid to experiment with mixing and matching herbs and spices.
Cover the cut flowers with a light aromatic base oil such as almond oil, olive oil or sesame oil. Make sure that all of the flowers and herbs are covered. How much oil this will require depends on the size and shape of your jar and how much plant matter you used, so just eyeball it.
How to Make Jam With Honey
Put the lid on the jar and shake it gently to mix the flowers, herbs and oils. Place the jar in a sunny spot and leave it for at least 48 hours. Swirl the ingredients around gently every few hours.
Line a funnel with fine cheesecloth and pour the oil through the cloth and into your second jar, if you want to make the essential oil stronger. Add fresh flowers and herbs, put on the lid and let it sit for another 48 hours. Remember to swirl the jar occasionally.
Pour the essential oil into a dark-tinted bottle with a good stopper. Label the jar with the ingredients and the date, because essential oils lose their potency after six months.
Store your bottles in a cool place away from direct sunlight to help keep their potency. Aromatic flowers like roses, jasmine, lavender and honeysuckle produce very sweet essential oils. Mint, verbena, lemongrass and rosemary are among the more fragrant herbs to use.
Never to try to rush the process by using the microwave because this will weaken the aromatic properties of the flowers and herbs.
How to Make Your Own Massage Lotion
How to Make Jam With Honey
How to Make Face Cream Using Rosehip Oil
How to Naturally Get Rid of Chest Congestion
Is It Possible to Tighten the Skin With Mustard Oil?
How to Juice Peaches
Tea Tree Oil as a Tick Repellent
How to Make a Rosemary & Olive Oil Infusion
How to Infuse Flavors Into Cupcakes
How to Get Rid of Deep Clogged Pores
- University of Minnesota: What Does the Research Say About Essential Oils?
- Eden Botanicals: Extraction Methods
- Aromatherapy At Home: Homemade Essential Oils
- "Plant Aromatics: A Data & Reference Manual on Essential Oils and Aromatic Plant Extracts"; Martin Watt
- National Association of Holistic Aromatherapy. Safety information.
- Elshafie HS, Camele I. An overview of the biological effects of some Mediterranean essential oils on human health. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:9268468. doi:10.1155/2017/9268468
- Han X, Eggett DL, Parker TL. Evaluation of the health benefits of a multivitamin, multimineral, herbal, essential oil-infused supplement: A pilot trial. J Diet Suppl. 2018;15(2):153-160. doi:10.1080/19390211.2017.1331943
- Nauman MC, Johnson JJ. Clinical application of bergamot (Citrus bergamia) for reducing high cholesterol and cardiovascular disease markers. Integr Food Nutr Metab. 2019;6(2):31057945. doi:10.15761/IFNM.1000249
- Alves-Silva JM, Zuzarte M, Gonçalves MJ, et al. New claims for wild carrot (Daucus carota subsp. carota) essential oil. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2016;2016:9045196. doi:10.1155/2016/9045196.
- Rao PV, Gan SH. Cinnamon: a multifaceted medicinal plant. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2014;2014:642942. doi:10.1155/2014/642942
- Alqareer A, Alyahya A, Andersson L. The effect of clove and benzocaine versus placebo as topical anesthetics. J Dent. 2006;34(10):747-50. doi:10.1016/j.jdent.2006.01.009
- Bachir RG, Benali M. Antibacterial activity of the essential oils from the leaves of Eucalyptus globulus against Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. 2012;2(9):739-742. doi:10.1016/s2221-1691(12)60220-2
- Al-Otaibi WA, Alkhatib MH, Wali AN. Cytotoxicity and apoptosis enhancement in breast and cervical cancer cells upon coadministration of mitomycin C and essential oils in nanoemulsion formulations. Biomed Pharmacother. 2018;106:946-955. doi:10.1016/j.biopha.2018.07.041
- Ghannadi A, Bagherinejad M, Abedi D, Jalali M, Absalan B, Sadeghi N. Antibacterial activity and composition of essential oils from Pelargonium graveolens L'Her and Vitex agnus-castus L. Iran J Microbiol. 2012;4(4):171-6.
- Orchard A, van Vuuren S. Commercial essential oils as potential antimicrobials to treat skin diseases. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2017;2017:4517971. doi:10.1155/2017/4517971
- Faydalı S, Çetinkaya F. The effect of aromatherapy on sleep quality of elderly People residing in a nursing home. Holist Nurs Pract. 2018;32(1):8-16. doi:10.1097/HNP.0000000000000244
- Dosoky NS, Setzer WN. Biological activities and safety of Citrus spp. essential oils. Int J Mol Sci. 2018;19(7):1966. doi:10.3390/ijms19071966
- Shah G, Shri R, Panchal V, Sharma N, Singh B, Mann A. Scientific basis for the therapeutic use of cymbopogon citratus, stapf (lemon grass). J Adv Pharm Technol Res. 2011;2(1):3-8. doi:10.4103/2231-4040.79796
- de Rapper S, Van Vuuren SF, Kamatou GP, et al. The additive and synergistic antimicrobial effects of select frankincense and myrrh oils—A combination from the pharaonic pharmacopoeia. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2012;54(4):352-8. doi: 10.1111/j.1472-765X.2012.03216.x
- Hashmat I, Azad H, Ahmed A. Neem (Azadirachta indica A. Juss) - A nature's drugstore: An overview. I Res J Biological Sci. 2012;1(6):76-79.
- Kim IH, Kim C, Seong K, Hur MH, Lim HM, Lee MS. Essential oil inhalation on blood pressure and salivary cortisol levels in prehypertensive and hypertensive subjects. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012;2012:984203. doi:10.1155/2012/984203
- Faturi CB, Leite JR, Alves PB, Canton AC, Teixeira-Silva F. Anxiolytic-Like Effect of Sweet Orange Aroma in Wistar Rats. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2010 May 30;34(4):605-9. doi:10.1016/j.pnpbp.2010.02.020
- Ito K, Ito M. Sedative effects of vapor inhalation of the essential oil of Microtoena patchoulii and its related compounds. J Nat Med. 2011;65(2):336-343. doi:10.1007/s11418-010-0502-x
- Alammar N, Wang L, Saberi B, et al. The impact of peppermint oil on the irritable bowel syndrome: a meta-analysis of the pooled clinical data. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2019;19(1):21. doi:10.1186/s12906-018-2409-0
- Marzouk TM, El-Nemer AM, Baraka HN. The effect of aromatherapy abdominal massage on alleviating menstrual pain in nursing students: a prospective randomized cross-over study. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013;2013:742421. doi:10.1155/2013/742421
- Habtemariam S. The therapeutic potential of rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) diterpenes for Alzheimer's disease. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2016;2016:2680409. doi:10.1155/2016/2680409.
- NIH: National Cancer Institute. Aromatherapy with essential oils (PDQ®)–patient version.
- Tisserand Institute. What to do in case of adverse reaction. Updated January 2, 2018.
- International Federation of Professional Aromatherapists. Pregnancy guidelines.
- Store your bottles in a cool place away from direct sunlight to help keep their potency.
- Aromatic flowers like roses, jasmine, lavender and honeysuckle produce very sweet essential oils. Mint, verbena, lemongrass and rosemary are among the more fragrant herbs to use.
- Never to try to rush the process by using the microwave because this will weaken the aromatic properties of the flowers and herbs.
Emmy-award nominated screenwriter Brynne Chandler is a single mother of three who divides her time between professional research and varied cooking, fitness and home & gardening enterprises. A running enthusiast who regularly participates in San Francisco's Bay to Breakers run, Chandler works as an independent caterer, preparing healthy, nutritious meals for Phoenix area residents.