Cellulite is made up of water, fat and cellular waste and generally appears on the thighs and hips, writes Roberta Wilson, author of "Aromatherapy for Vibrant Health and Beauty." Cellulite appears as a series of bumps and ripples on the skin and affects approximately 90 percent of females 18 and over 2. Causes of cellulite include caffeine, alcohol and processed, fatty and fried foods. Many natural health practitioners believe that cellulite can be treated with some simple, natural remedies that can be made from ingredients purchased from your local grocery or health food store 3. Consult with a health care professional before beginning use of a natural remedy.
Natural Essential Oil Remedies
Essential oils are made from natural plant sources, such as fruits and flowers, and are used in the practice of aromatherapy for an array of beauty, emotional and medicinal benefits 2. Many of these essential oils are reputed to reduce the appearance of cellulite. According to Wilson, the most effective oils for treating cellulite include:
- clary sage
Natural Massage Remedies
Ayurvedic Treatment for Cellulite
Cocoa butter and honey, used in conjunction with massage, are reputed to be effective in the reduction and removal of cellulite. Massaging the skin with these natural substance encourages better circulation and aids in breaking up the fatty deposits that have collected under the skin's surface, according to Yulia Berry, the writer of greathomeremedies.com, a website dedicated to educating the public about natural home remedies 3.
Berry recommends applying honey directly to the affected areas, applying pressure with the hands and then pulling the hands away. Repeat the application of pressure until the honey begins to turn white. To achieve the best results, conduct this massage daily for 30 days. Bruising of the skin, redness and a slight burning typically occurs as a result of this method.
According to celluliteguide.org, a website dedicated to educating the public about the removal of cellulite, massaging cocoa butter into the skin daily removes cellulite.
Do not use the honey massage method if you are pregnant, if you have varicose veins on the affected area or if you have ever had an allergic reaction to honey. If allergic reaction occurs, discontinue use and contact a health care professional immediately.
- Cocoa butter and honey, used in conjunction with massage, are reputed to be effective in the reduction and removal of cellulite.
- Massaging the skin with these natural substance encourages better circulation and aids in breaking up the fatty deposits that have collected under the skin's surface, according to Yulia Berry, the writer of greathomeremedies.com, a website dedicated to educating the public about natural home remedies 3.
Apple Cider Vinegar Remedies
Use apple cider vinegar to remove cellulite. For a healthier, smoother appearance within two weeks, Berry recommends rubbing apple cider vinegar into the affected skin after showering each day.
Berry also recommends a body wrap using apple cider vinegar. Mix equal parts water and apple cider vinegar and add three to five drops of a cellulite fighting essential oil, such as rosemary, lemon, orange or patchouli. Rub the mixture into the affected areas, cover with plastic wrap and keep the area warm for a half an hour to an hour. The skin can be kept warm with a heavy blanket or with heavy layers of clothing. Cleanse the area and apply moisturizer.
Consult with a health care professional before using apple cider vinegar for the treatment of cellulite.
- Use apple cider vinegar to remove cellulite.
- Mix equal parts water and apple cider vinegar and add three to five drops of a cellulite fighting essential oil, such as rosemary, lemon, orange or patchouli.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Cellulite
How to Get Rid of Leg Scars Caused by Picking at Scabs
How to Use Cocoa Butter to Get Rid of Scars
The Best Way to Get Rid of Sagging Eyelids & Frown Lines Between Eyes
Can I Get Rid of Cellulite on My Face?
How to Use Ginger Topically For Fat Burning
How to Get Rid of Dark Pores on Legs
How to Use a Wooden Massager on Cellulite
How to Lift Sagging Skin Naturally
How to Increase Blood Circulation & Reduce Cellulite
- "The Aromatherapy Bible"; Gill Farrer-Halls; 2005
- "Aromatherapy for Vibrant Health and Beauty"; Roberta Wilson; 1995
- Great Home Remedies: Cellulite
- Dover, J. S., Orringer, J. S., Alam, M. (2014). Body Shaping, Skin Fat and Cellulite E-Book: Procedures in Cosmetic Dermatology Series. United Kingdom: Elsevier Health Sciences.
- Tokarska K, Tokarski S, Woźniacka A, Sysa-Jędrzejowska A, Bogaczewicz J. Cellulite: a cosmetic or systemic issue? Contemporary views on the etiopathogenesis of cellulite. Postepy Dermatol Alergol. 2018;35(5):442-446. doi:10.5114/ada.2018.77235
- Luebberding S, Krueger N, Sadick NS. Cellulite: An evidence-based review. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2015;16(4):243-256. doi:10.1007/s40257-015-0129-5
- American Academy of Dermatology Association. Cellulite treatments: What really works?.
- U.S. Food & Drug Administration. ZELTIQ CoolSculpting System 510(k). Published September 24, 2015.
- Zerini I, Sisti A, Cuomo R, et al. Cellulite treatment: A comprehensive literature review. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2015;14(3):224-40. doi:10.1111/jocd.12154
Nicole Brown began writing professionally for Java Joint Media in 2007. She has published two "how-to" books through Atlantic Publishing Group. Brown is a state-tested nursing assistant with two years of experience in the health care field. She graduated from the University of Rio Grande with a Bachelor of Science in communications/public relations in 1999.