28 November, 2018
Can I Get Rid of Cellulite on My Face?
Cellulite is identified by dimpling or uneven skin texture through fat deposits just underneath your skin. Although mostly present on the buttocks and thighs, some people do suffer from small fatty deposits on the face, specifically around the jawline and neck. Although cellulite is hard to treat once it has formed, there are options available to smooth out your skin and break up fat deposits. Consult your physician before starting any treatments of your face to make sure you have no underlying medical conditions.
Eat a healthy, low-calorie diet and exercise regularly for weight loss. Once you lose weight in your face, cellulite may become less noticeable. Although cellulite formation may decrease, weight loss will not eliminate all of it.
Apply an over-the-counter or prescription cream to improve your skin's surface. These won't make cellulite go away, but topical retinols have been shown to promote collagen synthesis that can give your skin a smoother look. Herbal creams are not proven to break down cellulite and may cause allergic reaction so use caution when going the herbal route.
Massage your face for five to 10 minutes per day to help break up fat deposits and to promote lymph drainage. Although research studies on this are preliminary, manual and mechanical lymph drainage have been shown to decrease the appearance of cellulite.
Consult your dermatologist for ultrasound or laser skin treatments. Some of these treatment options can reduce fat deposits underneath the skin while providing improved tone and texture.
- Food and Drug Administration. (2015). FDA approves treatment for fat below the chin [Press release].
- Health risks of being overweight. (2015).
- Is full-fat dairy better or worse than low-fat dairy? (2018).
- Is low-fat or full-fat the better choice for dairy products? (2018).
- Konda D, et al. (2013). Mesotherapy: What is new? DOI:
- Mayo Clinic Staff. (2016). Weight loss: 6 strategies for success.
- Mayo Clinic Staff. (2017). Exercise for weight loss: Calories burned in 1 hour.
- studiokovac/iStock/Getty Images