Many pressure points exist in the wrist area, according to Chinese medicine and acupuncture theory 23. Some can be useful for decreasing pain, while others are useful for alleviating symptoms associated with disorders of specific organs. Be sure to discuss your symptoms with a physician as well as a licensed Chinese acupuncturist or someone certified in acupressure massage before undergoing pressure point therapy.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Lung Point 8
According to "A Manual of Acupuncture, lung 8 is located on the underside of the wrist 23. Turn your right hand so that the palm faces up and locate the crease of the wrist. Find the depression between the radius, or the bone on the right side, and the outermost tendon.
- According to "A Manual of Acupuncture, lung 8 is located on the underside of the wrist 2.
Lung Point 9
List of Hand Reflexology Points
This point lies along the same line as lung 8, so follow the same steps to find lung 8. However, lung 9 is located directly on the wrist crease, according to "A Manual of Acupuncture." Acupuncture.com states that it is useful for treating cough with phlegm, headache, wrist pain and hiccups 123.
Large Intestine Point 5
Another energy channel, or meridian, that has a wrist point is the large intestine channel. Point 5 on this channel is effective for reducing pain or weakness of the wrist, as well as cough, agitation, toothaches and headaches, according to "A Manual of Acupuncture." Your practitioner may locate this point by having you spread all five fingers, palm facing down. There are two tendons that should stand out at the base of your thumb, creating a depression. Large intestine 5 is located in that depression, states yingyanghouse.com 45.
- Another energy channel, or meridian, that has a wrist point is the large intestine channel.
- Point 5 on this channel is effective for reducing pain or weakness of the wrist, as well as cough, agitation, toothaches and headaches, according to "A Manual of Acupuncture."
Heart Point 7
Pressure Points to Relieve Sinus Pain
On the underside of the wrist, locate lung 9 in the wrist crease. Follow the wrist crease to the other side of the wrist to the depression between the ulna bone and the outermost tendon. Heart 7 lies in this depression and can be pressed for insomnia, heart pain, palpitations, and painful throat, according to "A Manual of Acupuncture."
Small Intestine Point 6
Both "A Manual of Acupuncture" and yingyanghouse.com state that the practitioner may ask you to place your palm on your chest to locate this point 123. It is on the dorsal, or top, part of the wrist on the protrusion of the ulna, which is the round knob located near the outside of your wrist. With your palm facing down, the practitioner will place his finger on that protrusion of bone, then ask you to place your palm on your chest.
This motion deviates the ulna, and a slight depression is formed, which is where small intestine 6 is located 5. It is indicated for pain of the shoulder and arm, and is also used for eye pain and dimness of vision.
- Both "A Manual of Acupuncture" and yingyanghouse.com state that the practitioner may ask you to place your palm on your chest to locate this point 1.
- It is indicated for pain of the shoulder and arm, and is also used for eye pain and dimness of vision.
San Jiao Point 4
The Sanjiao, or triple heater channel, contains a point that is useful for swelling and pain of the neck, arm, and wrist; deafness; and dry mouth, according to yingyanghouse.com 45. "A Manual of Acupuncture" states that its location is on the topside of the wrist 23. Your practitioner may ask you to extend all your fingers and your wrist to locate the point more easily. It is found in the depression level with the wrist joint in between the fourth and fifth finger bones.
List of Hand Reflexology Points
Pressure Points to Relieve Sinus Pain
Cervical Herniated Disc Symptoms
Coughing & Neck Pain
Instructions for Self Acupressure for Weight Loss
How to Feel a Pulse Between the Ribs
Acupuncture for Balance and Dizziness
Pressure Points for Migraines
Pressure Points for Headaches
Chi Blocking Pressure Points
- "A Manual of Acupuncture"; Deadman, P and Al-Khafaji, M; 2001
- Acupuncture.com: Lung 8
- Acupuncture.com: Lung 9
- Yingyanghouse.com: Large Intestine 5
- Yingyanghouse.com: Small Intestine 6
- Bass E. Tendinopathy: why the difference between tendinitis and tendinosis matters. Int J Ther Massage Bodywork. 2012;5(1):14-7.
- How can tenosynovitis be treated? Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG). 2018.
- Chatterjee R, Vyas J. Diagnosis and management of intersection syndrome as a cause of overuse wrist pain. BMJ Case Rep. 2016;2016. doi:10.1136/bcr-2016-216988
- Wrist Sprain. What is it? Harvard Health Publishing. Harvard Medical School. 2019.
- Satteson E, Tannan S. De Quervain-Tenosynovitis. StatPearls Publishing. 2019.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: Treating Hand Pain and Numbness. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2019;49(5):361. doi:10.2519/jospt.2019.0502
- Hackney LA, Dodds SD. Assessment of scaphoid fracture healing. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2011;4(1):16-22. doi:10.1007/s12178-011-9072-0
- Lu H, Chen Q, Shen H. A repeated carpal tunnel syndrome due to tophaceous gout in flexor tendon: A case report. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96(9):e6245. doi:10.1097/MD.0000000000006245
- Jennings JD, Zielinski E, Tosti R, Ilyas AM. Septic Arthritis of the Wrist: Incidence, Risk Factors, and Predictors of Infection. Orthopedics. 2017;40(3):e526-e531. doi:10.3928/01477447-20170404-01
- Gregush R, Habusta S. Ganglion Cyst. StatPearls Publishing. 2019.
- Cutts S. Cubital tunnel syndrome. Postgrad Med J. 2007;83(975):28-31. doi:10.1136/pgmj.2006.047456
- Akhondi H, Panginikkod S. Wrist Arthritis. StatPearls Publishing. 2019.
- Caridi JM, Pumberger M, Hughes AP. Cervical radiculopathy: a review. HSS J. 2011;7(3):265-72. doi:10.1007/s11420-011-9218-z
- Paavola M, Kannus P, Järvinen TA, Järvinen TL, Józsa L, Järvinen M. Treatment of tendon disorders. Is there a role for corticosteroid injection?. Foot Ankle Clin. 2002;7(3):501-13.
- Adams JE, Habbu R. Tendinopathies of the Hand and Wrist. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2015 Dec;23(12):741-50.
- Dale AM, Harris-Adamson D, Rempel D, e al. Prevalence and incidence of carpal tunnel syndrome in US working populations: pooled analysis of six prospective studies. Scand J Work, Environ & Health. 2013;39(5):495-505. DOI: 10.5271/sjweh.3351.
- Goldfarb CA, Puri SK, Carlson MG. Diagnosis, Treatment, and Return to Play for Four Common Sports Injuries of the Hand and Wrist. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2016 Dec;24(12):853-862.
- Shehab R, Mirabelli MH. Evaluation and Diagnosis of Wrist Pain: A Case-Based Approach. Am Fam Physician. 2013 Apr 15;87(8):568-73.
Christy Callahan has been researching and writing in the integrative health care field for over five years, focusing on neuro-endocrinology. She has a Bachelor of Science degree in biology, earned credits toward a licensure in traditional Chinese medicine and is a certified Pilates and sport yoga instructor.