What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
- The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke: Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease Is Common
- MedlinePlus: What Causes Diabetic Neuropathy?
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
The two major nervous systems of the body are the central and peripheral systems. Disorders of the peripheral nervous system include all nerve pathways outside the brain and spinal cord. Disease symptoms include muscle weakness, paralysis and sensory dysfunction. Causes for peripheral nerve damage include genetics, infections, trauma and autoimmune disorders.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, or CMT, is a group of genetic peripheral nervous system disorders. The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke reports that CMT affects about one out of every 2,500 people in the United States. Weakness may affect the muscle tone in the lower legs and the hands. Nerve degeneration leads to the reduction in sensing heat and cold or in the awareness of pain. Treatment consists of physical therapy, occupational therapy and assistive devices, as needed.
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, or CMT, is a group of genetic peripheral nervous system disorders.
- The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke reports that CMT affects about one out of every 2,500 people in the United States.
Causes of Finger Tingling
Diabetic neuropathy is a commonly reported peripheral nervous system disorder that results as a complication from diabetes 1. As many as 50 percent of diabetics develop nerve damage, or neuropathy. High blood glucose levels and a decrease in blood flow cause nerve injuries, according to MedlinePlus. Affected areas include the legs and arms, with symptoms such as:
- muscle cramps
- tingling in the feet
- insensitivity to heat or cold
Other symptoms that manifest with diabetic neuropathy include the loss of bladder control, vision changes, dizziness and drooping of the eyelids, face or mouth 1. In order to slow the progression or reduce the extent of damage to the peripheral nervous system, the blood glucose level must be controlled through frequent monitoring and medications as prescribed.
- Diabetic neuropathy is a commonly reported peripheral nervous system disorder that results as a complication from diabetes 1.
- In order to slow the progression or reduce the extent of damage to the peripheral nervous system, the blood glucose level must be controlled through frequent monitoring and medications as prescribed.
Guillain-Barr syndrome is a serious autoimmune disease that leads to peripheral nerve damage. The disease causes the immune system to attack itself, and that leads to inflammation of the nerves. The nerve inflammation causes weakness in the muscles of the legs and arms. In addition, the muscles used for breathing become weak. Numbness and uncoordinated movement manifest as the nerve damage spreads. Symptoms such as difficulty breathing or swallowing require immediate medical attention. Treatment includes supportive care for breathing difficulties and physical therapy. Other options include plasmapheresis to remove antibodies from the blood or immunoglobulins to block inflammation-causing antibodies. Recovery time varies from weeks to years.
- Guillain-Barr syndrome is a serious autoimmune disease that leads to peripheral nerve damage.
- The disease causes the immune system to attack itself, and that leads to inflammation of the nerves.
Causes of Finger Tingling
Autoimmune Disorders That Attack the Nervous System
Causes of Body Tingling
Neurological Disorders That Have Symptoms of Electrical Shock Feelings
Stocking & Glove Neuropathy
Causes of Severe Nausea, Vomiting & Diarrhea
Autoimmune Diseases That Cause Peripheral Neuropathy
Causes for Fingers "Going to Sleep" or Feeling Numb
Causes of Foot Numbness & Pain
Drugs That Cause Peripheral Neuropathy
- MedlinePlus: What Causes Diabetic Neuropathy?
- Colloca L, Ludman T, Bouhassira D, et al. Neuropathic pain. Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2017;3:17002. Published 2017 Feb 16. doi:10.1038/nrdp.2017.2
- Lima MA, Maranhão-filho P. What is the essential neurological examination?. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2012;70(12):939-41. doi:10.1590/s0004-282x2012001200007
- Marchettini P, Lacerenza M, Mauri E, Marangoni C. Painful peripheral neuropathies. Curr Neuropharmacol. 2006;4(3):175–181. doi:10.2174/157015906778019536
- Sommer C, Geber C, Young P, Forst R, Birklein F, Schoser B. Polyneuropathies. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2018;115(6):83–90. doi:10.3238/arztebl.2018.083
- Koop LK, Tadi P. Neuroanatomy, Sensory Nerves. [Updated 2019 Apr 7]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-.
- McCorry LK. Physiology of the autonomic nervous system. Am J Pharm Educ. 2007;71(4):78. doi:10.5688/aj710478
- Tracy JA, Dyck PJ. The spectrum of diabetic neuropathies. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am. 2008;19(1):1–v. doi:10.1016/j.pmr.2007.10.010
- Ekabe CJ, Kehbila J, Abanda MH, Kadia BM, Sama CB, Monekosso GL. Vitamin B12 deficiency neuropathy; a rare diagnosis in young adults: a case report. BMC Res Notes. 2017 Jan 28;10(1):72. doi: 10.1186/s13104-017-2393-3
- Dimachkie MM, Barohn RJ. Guillain-Barré syndrome and variants. Neurol Clin. 2013;31(2):491–510. doi:10.1016/j.ncl.2013.01.005
- Menorca RM, Fussell TS, Elfar JC. Nerve physiology: mechanisms of injury and recovery. Hand Clin. 2013;29(3):317–330. doi:10.1016/j.hcl.2013.04.002
- Aroori S, Spence RA. Carpal tunnel syndrome. Ulster Med J. 2008;77(1):6–17. PMID: 18269111
- Cojocaru IM, Cojocaru M, Silosi I, Vrabie CD. Peripheral nervous system manifestations in systemic autoimmune diseases. Maedica (Buchar). 2014 Sep;9(3):289-94.
- Misra UK, Kalita J, Nair PP. Diagnostic approach to peripheral neuropathy. Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 2008;11(2):89–97. doi:10.4103/0972-2327.41875
- Jensen TS, Finnerup NB. Allodynia and hyperalgesia in neuropathic pain: clinical manifestations and mechanisms. Lancet Neurol. 2014;13(9):924-35. doi:10.1016/S1474-4422(14)70102-4
- Aman JE, Elangovan N, Yeh IL, Konczak J. The effectiveness of proprioceptive training for improving motor function: a systematic review. Front Hum Neurosci. 2015;8:1075. Published 2015 Jan 28. doi:10.3389/fnhum.2014.01075
- Desai J, Swash M. Fasciculations: what do we know of their significance?. J Neurol Sci. 1997;152 Suppl 1:S43-8. doi:10.1016/s0022-510x(97)00243-8
- Sommer C, Geber C, Young P, Forst R, Birklein F, Schoser B. Polyneuropathies. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2018 Feb 9;115(6):83-90. doi: 10.3238/arztebl.2018.083.
- Wells R, Tonkin A. Clinical approach to autonomic dysfunction. Intern Med J. 2016;46(10):1134-1139. doi:10.1111/imj.13216
- Chopra K, Tiwari V. Alcoholic neuropathy: possible mechanisms and future treatment possibilities. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2012;73(3):348–362. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2125.2011.04111.x
- Hammond N, Wang Y, Dimachkie MM, Barohn RJ. Nutritional neuropathies. Neurol Clin. 2013;31(2):477–489. doi:10.1016/j.ncl.2013.02.002
- Peltier AC, Russell JW. Recent advances in drug-induced neuropathies. Curr Opin Neurol. 2002;15(5):633-8. doi:10.1097/00019052-200210000-00015
- Crook L, Liu PI, Gadsden RH, Turner RE. Erythrocyte sedimentation, viscosity, and plasma proteins in disease detection. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 1980;10(5):368-76. PMID: 7425532
- Miller LJ, Saporta AS, Sottile SL, Siskind CE, Feely SM, Shy ME. Strategy for genetic testing in Charcot-Marie-disease. Acta Myol. 2011;30(2):109–116. PMID: 22106713
- Chung T, Prasad K, Lloyd TE. Peripheral neuropathy: clinical and electrophysiological considerations. Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2014;24(1):49–65. doi:10.1016/j.nic.2013.03.023
- Weis J, Brandner S, Lammens M, Sommer C, Vallat JM. Processing of nerve biopsies: a practical guide for neuropathologists. Clin Neuropathol. 2012;31(1):7–23. doi:10.5414/np300468
- Ziemssen T, Siepmann T. The Investigation of the Cardiovascular and Sudomotor Autonomic Nervous System-A Review. Front Neurol. 2019;10:53. Published 2019 Feb 12. doi:10.3389/fneur.2019.00053
- Khan N, Smith MT. Multiple sclerosis-induced neuropathic pain: pharmacological management and pathophysiological insights from rodent EAE models. Inflammopharmacology. 2014;22(1):1–22. doi:10.1007/s10787-013-0195-3
- Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on Multiple Sclerosis: Current Status and Strategies for the Future; Joy JE, Johnston RB Jr., editors. Multiple Sclerosis: Current Status and Strategies for the Future. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 2001. 3, Characteristics and Management of Major Symptoms.
- Chandra A, Stone CR, Du X, et al. The cerebral circulation and cerebrovascular disease III: Stroke. Brain Circ. 2017;3(2):66–77. doi:10.4103/bc.bc_12_17
- Bansal V, Kalita J, Misra UK. Diabetic neuropathy. Postgrad Med J. 2006;82(964):95–100. doi:10.1136/pgmj.2005.036137
- Staff NP, Windebank AJ. Peripheral neuropathy due to vitamin deficiency, toxins, and medications. Continuum (Minneap Minn). 2014;20(5 Peripheral Nervous System Disorders):1293–1306. doi:10.1212/01.CON.0000455880.06675.5a
- Meena AK, Khadilkar SV, Murthy JM. Treatment guidelines for Guillain-Barré Syndrome. Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 2011;14(Suppl 1):S73–S81. doi:10.4103/0972-2327.83087
- Hammi C, Yeung B. Neuropathy. [Updated 2019 Jun 4]. In: StatPearls [IntAvailable from:
- Przewlocki R, Przewlocka B. Opioids in neuropathic pain. Curr Pharm Des. 2005;11(23):3013-25. doi:10.2174/1381612054865055
- Juster-Switlyk K, Smith AG. Updates in diabetic peripheral neuropathy. F1000Res. 2016;5:F1000 Faculty Rev-738. Published 2016 Apr 25. doi:10.12688/f1000research.7898.1
- Cioroiu C, Weimer LH. Update on Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2017 Jun;17(6):47. doi: 10.1007/s11910-017-0757-7.
- Dimitrova A, Murchison C, Oken B. Acupuncture for the Treatment of Peripheral Neuropathy: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Altern Complement Med. 2017 Mar 1;23(3):164-79. doi: 10.1089/acm.2016.0155
- Watson JC, Dyck PJ. Peripheral Neuropathy: A Practical Approach to Diagnosis and Symptom Management. Mayo Clin Proc. 2015 Jul;90(7):940-51. doi: 10.1016/j.mayocp.2015.05.004
Norene Anderson has been a writer since 2003. She is also a registered nurse with expertise in a wide range of medical conditions and treatments. Anderson received her associate degree in nursing from Lincoln University in Jefferson City, Mo.