What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Hand and wrist pain can be caused by a variety of ailments and conditions 1. According to the Mayo Clinic, some of the most common causes of pain in the wrist and hand area include injury, rheumatoid arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome 1. Repetitive motion is another common cause of wrist and hand pain 1. If you experience unexplained pain or discomfort, you should contact your physician.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Injuries that are caused by sudden impacts, falls or hyper-extensions can all cause significant pain and discomfort in the wrist and hand area, according to the American College of Sports Medicine 124. Athletes such as football and basketball players are prone to injuries in the hand and wrist due to physical demand on these extremities. Occupations such as construction, running machinery or warehouse work can all increase the risk of injury to the wrist and hand. Some injuries require little more than rest and ice. Others, such as breaks, fractures or deep tissue sprains and strains, may require immediate medical attention. According to Medline Plus, common signs of a broken or fractured bone include misshapen joints and the inability to move the fingers, wrist or hand.
- Injuries that are caused by sudden impacts, falls or hyper-extensions can all cause significant pain and discomfort in the wrist and hand area, according to the American College of Sports Medicine 1.
What Are the Causes of Bilateral Elbow Pain?
Rheumatoid arthritis, or RA, is a condition can affect the hands and wrists. It isn’t completely understood what causes the condition, but according to the University of Maryland Medical Center, the ailment occurs when the body’s immune system attacks its own tissue. This condition is typically found in both hands. Stiff joints may be experienced in the morning, and numbness and tingling in the affected area is not uncommon. Extreme cases of RA may cause joint deformity, which makes the fingers and hand appear misshapen. There is no cure for RA; treatment is focused on lessening flare-ups and keeping symptoms to a minimum.
- Rheumatoid arthritis, or RA, is a condition can affect the hands and wrists.
- Stiff joints may be experienced in the morning, and numbness and tingling in the affected area is not uncommon.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome is known to cause pain in the wrist and hands 1. According to the American Council on Exercise, carpal tunnel syndrome develops when the median nerve is compressed or disturbed, resulting in pain or numbness in the fingers and wrist 1. Sometimes the disturbance of the nerves can even impede grasping or clutching items with the affected hands. Carpal tunnel syndrome may also make it increasingly difficult to move or bend the wrist. Typically, repetitive motions such as typing or using a cash register can cause carpal tunnel syndrome. During flare-ups, it is advised to avoid any activity known to have caused the condition as well as any kind of resistance training.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome is known to cause pain in the wrist and hands 1.
- Sometimes the disturbance of the nerves can even impede grasping or clutching items with the affected hands.
What Are the Causes of Bilateral Elbow Pain?
Recovering From Finger Surgery
Cycling & Wrist Pain
What Are the Causes of Wrist & Forearm Pain?
What Are Common Causes of Wrist Pain in Basketball Players?
Hand Tendon Exercises
Causes of Pain & Stiffness in the Wrist
What Are the Causes of Dry Cracked Hands?
Finger Pain From Climbing
Inflamed Trigger Points in the Forearm
- Mayo Clinic: Wrist Pain
- “ACSM’s Resources for the Personal Trainer”; American College of Sports Medicine; 2010
- "American Council on Exercise Personal Trainers Manual"; Cedric X. Bryant; 2003
- Medicine Plus: Wrist Pain
- Bass E. Tendinopathy: why the difference between tendinitis and tendinosis matters. Int J Ther Massage Bodywork. 2012;5(1):14-7.
- How can tenosynovitis be treated? Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG). 2018.
- Chatterjee R, Vyas J. Diagnosis and management of intersection syndrome as a cause of overuse wrist pain. BMJ Case Rep. 2016;2016. doi:10.1136/bcr-2016-216988
- Wrist Sprain. What is it? Harvard Health Publishing. Harvard Medical School. 2019.
- Satteson E, Tannan S. De Quervain-Tenosynovitis. StatPearls Publishing. 2019.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: Treating Hand Pain and Numbness. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2019;49(5):361. doi:10.2519/jospt.2019.0502
- Hackney LA, Dodds SD. Assessment of scaphoid fracture healing. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2011;4(1):16-22. doi:10.1007/s12178-011-9072-0
- Lu H, Chen Q, Shen H. A repeated carpal tunnel syndrome due to tophaceous gout in flexor tendon: A case report. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96(9):e6245. doi:10.1097/MD.0000000000006245
- Jennings JD, Zielinski E, Tosti R, Ilyas AM. Septic Arthritis of the Wrist: Incidence, Risk Factors, and Predictors of Infection. Orthopedics. 2017;40(3):e526-e531. doi:10.3928/01477447-20170404-01
- Gregush R, Habusta S. Ganglion Cyst. StatPearls Publishing. 2019.
- Cutts S. Cubital tunnel syndrome. Postgrad Med J. 2007;83(975):28-31. doi:10.1136/pgmj.2006.047456
- Akhondi H, Panginikkod S. Wrist Arthritis. StatPearls Publishing. 2019.
- Caridi JM, Pumberger M, Hughes AP. Cervical radiculopathy: a review. HSS J. 2011;7(3):265-72. doi:10.1007/s11420-011-9218-z
- Paavola M, Kannus P, Järvinen TA, Järvinen TL, Józsa L, Järvinen M. Treatment of tendon disorders. Is there a role for corticosteroid injection?. Foot Ankle Clin. 2002;7(3):501-13.
- Adams JE, Habbu R. Tendinopathies of the Hand and Wrist. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2015 Dec;23(12):741-50.
- Dale AM, Harris-Adamson D, Rempel D, e al. Prevalence and incidence of carpal tunnel syndrome in US working populations: pooled analysis of six prospective studies. Scand J Work, Environ & Health. 2013;39(5):495-505. DOI: 10.5271/sjweh.3351.
- Goldfarb CA, Puri SK, Carlson MG. Diagnosis, Treatment, and Return to Play for Four Common Sports Injuries of the Hand and Wrist. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2016 Dec;24(12):853-862.
- Shehab R, Mirabelli MH. Evaluation and Diagnosis of Wrist Pain: A Case-Based Approach. Am Fam Physician. 2013 Apr 15;87(8):568-73.
Antonius Ortega is a 13-year veteran of the fitness industry and an athletic trainer certified by the American Council on Exercise. His articles on fitness, health and travel have appeared in newspapers such as the "The Hornet," "The Daily Bruin," and "Stars and Stripes." Ortega trains in Orange County.