Yeast infection in the belly button can affect people of any age. Newborns can develop infection by exposure to his mother's vaginal yeast infection during birth. Conditions that often affect children and adolescents, including thrush or athletes foot, can spread to the belly button. Diabetes and excess abdominal fat can increase risk of belly button yeast infections in adults 1. See your doctor for an accurate diagnosis if you experience these symptoms.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
A yeast infection in the belly button will itch as the yeast erodes the healthy skin surface, causing an increase in blood flow to the area. This itch may be sudden and intense, and can often be relieved by cleaning the belly button with soap and water and applying an itch blocking ointment to the site. Anti-itch creme or ointment will not cure the yeast infection, but will decrease symptoms. Scratching the site will allow the yeast to enter into the skin, making the infection much more difficult to treat.
- A yeast infection in the belly button will itch as the yeast erodes the healthy skin surface, causing an increase in blood flow to the area.
- This itch may be sudden and intense, and can often be relieved by cleaning the belly button with soap and water and applying an itch blocking ointment to the site.
Causes of Red Bumps That Itch
Redness occurs anytime the top skin layer is damaged. Redness will fade as the infection clears, serving as a good indicator that treatment has been effective 1. Yeast infection in the belly button skin folds requires topical treatment which starts with gentle cleaning of the site with a mild soap and water. The belly button should be dried and covered with one of the medications sold over the counter as a treatment for either vaginal yeast infections or athlete's foot 1. This process should be repeated as often as recommended on the label of the medication.
Odor may develop from an infection in your belly button when a secondary bacterial infection occurs or the skin breaks down from the invasion of the yeast infection, emitting fluid. If the site has been treated with an over the counter antifungal creme for a few days and the odor persists, see your doctor.
Causes of Severe Groin Itching
Pain, fever, nausea and vomiting or red streaks that start at your belly button and move outward are all signs of a secondary bacterial infection. These require immediate medical attention. Diabetes and human immunodeficiency virus, or HIV, are both associated with an increased risk of yeast infections of the skin 1.**
- Pain, fever, nausea and vomiting or red streaks that start at your belly button and move outward are all signs of a secondary bacterial infection.
Causes of Red Bumps That Itch
Causes of Severe Groin Itching
What Is the Life Cycle of Tinea Pedis?
Corn Allergy and Eczema
Betaderm Side Effects
Ketoconazole Cream Uses
How to Get Rid of Skin Fungus From Tanning Beds
How to Remove Corns & Bring Skin Color Back
Itchiness Behind the Ears
Signs That Scabies Is Going Away
- Cleveland Clinic Center for Continuing Education: Common Skin Infections:Divya Singh-Behl, M.D. and Kenneth J. Tomecki, M.D.
- American Family Physicians: Diagnosis and Management of Contact Dermatitis
- Planned Parenthood. What is a yeast infection?
- InformedHealth.org [Internet]. Cologne, Germany: Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG); 2006-. Vaginal yeast infection (thrush): Overview. 2019 Jun 19.Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK543220/
- Singh A, Verma R, Murari A, Agrawal A. Oral candidiasis: An overview. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol. 2014;18(Suppl 1):S81–S85. doi:10.4103/0973-029X.141325
- Jeanmonod R, Jeanmonod D. Vaginal Candidiasis (Vulvovaginal Candidiasis) [Updated 2020 Feb 4]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2020 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK459317/
- InformedHealth.org [Internet]. Cologne, Germany: Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG); 2006-. Oral thrush: Overview. 2012 Apr 26 [Updated 2019 Aug 15].Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK367586/
- Blostein F, Levin-sparenberg E, Wagner J, Foxman B. Recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis. Ann Epidemiol. 2017;27(9):575-582.e3. doi:10.1016/j.annepidem.2017.08.010
- Aguin TJ, Sobel JD. Vulvovaginal candidiasis in pregnancy. Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2015;17(6):462. doi:10.1007/s11908-015-0462-0
- Rajalakshmi R, Kalaivani S. Prevalence of asymptomatic infections in sexually transmitted diseases attendees diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis, vaginal candidiasis, and trichomoniasis. Indian J Sex Transm Dis AIDS. 2016;37(2):139–142. doi:10.4103/0253-7184.192121
- Ringdahl EN. Treatment of recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis. Am Fam Physician. 2000;61(11):3306-12, 3317.
- Aguin TJ, Sobel JD. Vulvovaginal candidiasis in pregnancy. Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2015 Jun;17(6):462. doi: 10.1007/s11908-015-0462-0.
- Blostein F, Levin-Sparenberg E, Wagner J, Foxman B. Recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis. Ann Epidemiol. 2017 Sep;27(9):575-582.e3. doi: 10.1016/j.annepidem.2017.08.010.
- Chew SY, Than LT. Vulvovaginal candidosis: contemporary challenges and the future of prophylactic and therapeutic approaches. Mycoses. 2016 May;59(5):262-73. doi: 10.1111/myc.12455.
- Roberts CL, Algert CS, Rickard KL, Morris JM. Treatment of vaginal candidiasis for the prevention of preterm birth: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Syst Rev. 2015 Mar 21;4:31. doi: 10.1186/s13643-015-0018-2.
- Xie HY, Feng D, Wei DM, Mei L, Chen H, Wang X, Fang F. Probiotics for vulvovaginal candidiasis in non-pregnant women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017 Nov 23;11:CD010496. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD010496.pub2.
Walli Carranza is a professor, author, Certified Professional Coach and national speaker who brings medical and educational discoveries to front-line providers and the public alike. Her writings include "Six Seasons of Optimal Wellness," "8 Realms of Life by Intention," "Zero Balance Day" and "Body ReCreation." Carranza holds a Doctor of Nursing from the University of Texas, Austin.