The body gets most of its glucose by metabolizing the carbohydrates in food. But going too long without food can cause dangerously low blood sugar in people with medical conditions such as diabetes 3.
The body relies on a complex system to keep blood sugar levels within a healthy range. In order to understand fasting blood sugar levels, it can be helpful to know a bit more about how this system works. The liver also stores and produces glucose to keep blood sugar levels from getting too low between meals or overnight, as described by the University of California, San Francisco38. Maybe you eat breakfast at a later time than normal. The short answer is, it usually won't. " The body just has too many defense mechanisms. But these medications can also cause low blood sugar if a person takes too much or doesn't eat enough carbs. " If you have diabetes and are planning on fasting, be sure to discuss it with your doctor. But going too long without food can cause dangerously low blood sugar in people with medical conditions such as diabetes.
How Does Sugar Affect Your Heart Rate?
Is Butter on the Glycemic Index?
Diabetic Diet Food List
Iceberg Lettuce Nutrition Information
Can Low Blood Sugar Make You Lose Weight?
Can Diabetics Eat Rye Bread & Pumpernickel Bread?
How Much Sugar Is in Strawberries?
Caffeine Content in One Cup of Coffee Vs. One Shot of Espresso
Side Effects of Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice
Caffeine in Coke Zero
- Mayo Clinic: "Hypoglycemia"
- Kaiser Permanente: " How the Body Controls Blood Sugar"
- Diabetes.co.uk: "Blood Sugar Level Ranges"
- American Diabetes Association: "Diagnosis"
- World Journal of Diabetes: "Mechanisms of Hypoglycemia Unawareness and Implications in Diabetic Patients"
- National Institutes of Health: "What is Diabetes?"
- Hormone.org: "Non Diabetic Hypoglycemia"
- University of California, San Francisco: "The Liver & Blood Sugar"
- Hunterann/iStock/Getty Images