What Are the Health Benefits of Soaked Cashews?
Nuts and seeds, in moderation, are a healthy addition to a well-balanced diet plan. Brendan Brazier, author of "Whole Foods to Thrive" and creator of Vega nutritional products, recommends cashews as a nutritionally diverse nut, in addition to walnuts, almonds, macadamia nuts and pecans. Cashews are high in essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals needed for normal bodily processes and functioning. The "IBS Cookbook For Dummies" recommends soaking cashews prior to use to reap increased health benefits. Consult with a dietitian or health professional to determine what may best suit your individual needs.
Soaking cashews prior to using them for eating and cooking purposes aids in proper nutrient absorption. "The IBS Cookbook For Dummies" cites that soaking nuts and seeds helps remove enzymes called phytates that hinder vitamin and mineral absorption. Inadequate absorption of certain nutrients and minerals may lead to nutritional deficiencies. Cashews are a source of manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, copper and vitamin K. In addition to other negative effects, poor magnesium and vitamin K intake may lead to lethargy and muscle weakness as well as blood clotting issues, respectively.
- Soaking cashews prior to using them for eating and cooking purposes aids in proper nutrient absorption. "
- The IBS Cookbook For Dummies" cites that soaking nuts and seeds helps remove enzymes called phytates that hinder vitamin and mineral absorption.
Almonds and Selenium
Soaking cashews initiates the sprouting process, which releases additional nutrients. Because the nuts are not cooked, nutrient breakdown -- such as the conversion of fats into fatty acids, proteins into amino acids and carbs into glucose -- can occur naturally, allowing for normal bodily functions and energy metabolism. In addition to increasing nutritional value, sprouting may assist in preventing food spoilage and shortages, according to Natural News.com. Sprouting times vary depending on the nuts, seeds, grains or beans used. Elana Amsterdam of Elanaspantry.com recommends soaking nuts overnight, while the "IBS Cookbook For Dummies" recommends approximately eight hours for 1 cup of nuts.
- Soaking cashews initiates the sprouting process, which releases additional nutrients.
- Because the nuts are not cooked, nutrient breakdown -- such as the conversion of fats into fatty acids, proteins into amino acids and carbs into glucose -- can occur naturally, allowing for normal bodily functions and energy metabolism.
Soaking nuts and seeds helps remove possible irritants, pesticides and chemicals that could lead to negative health effects. In addition to removing possible mold that could cause food poisoning, lethargy and weakness, soaking aids in improving general digestive processes. It may relieve symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome in people who suffer from constipation, bloating, flatulence and cramping, according to the "IBS Cookbook For Dummies." Purchase raw, shelled, unsalted and organic nuts to decrease the risk of contamination.
- Soaking nuts and seeds helps remove possible irritants, pesticides and chemicals that could lead to negative health effects.
- In addition to removing possible mold that could cause food poisoning, lethargy and weakness, soaking aids in improving general digestive processes.
Improved Flavor and Texture
Natural Remedies for Mold & Mildew Allergies
Soaking cashews in liquid prior to use in recipes imparts a greater flavor and texture. Blending the soaked cashews in liquid further increases a smooth, light and creamy texture that is ideal for creams, sauces, dips, desserts, smoothies and ice creams. Furthermore, blending them creates a nut butter that can be used as an alternative to peanut butter or other nut butters such as almond and hazelnut.
Almonds and Selenium
Natural Remedies for Mold & Mildew Allergies
How to Store & Use Chia Seeds
Colon Cleanse With Flax Seeds & Psylium
A Home Remedy for Cracked Cuticles & Dry Hands
How to Make Power Pudding for Constipation
How to Keep Sliced Avocados From Turning Black
Can Pistachio Nuts Cause Diarrhea?
What Are the Benefits of Oat Seed Extract?
Natural Treatment for Anal Fissures at Home
- "Whole Foods to Thrive"; Brendan Brazier; 2011
- "IBS Cookbook For Dummies"; Carolyn Dean, MD., ND and L. Christine Wheeler, MA; 2010
- Elana's Pantry: Cashew Milk
- Natural News.com; Sprouting: Discover an Economical High Quality Food Source for Lean Times
- Nuts, cashew nuts, raw. FoodData Central. U.S Department of Agriculture. Published April 1, 2019.
- Cleveland Clinic. Nutrition: nuts and heart health.
- Mah E, Schulz JA, Kaden VN, et al. Cashew consumption reduces total and LDL cholesterol: A randomized, crossover, controlled-feeding trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;105(5):1070-1078.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health. Vitamin K fact sheet for health professionals. Updated February 24, 2020.
- Jackson CL, Hu FB. Long-term associations of nut consumption with body weight and obesity. Am J Clin Nutr. 2014;100 Suppl 1(1):408S–11S. doi:10.3945/ajcn.113.071332
- de Souza RGM, Schincaglia RM, Pimentel GD, Mota JF. Nuts and human health outcomes: A systematic review. Nutrients. 2017;9(12):1311. doi:10.3390/nu9121311
- Ros E. Health benefits of nut consumption. Nutrients. 2010;2(7):652–682. doi:10.3390/nu2070652
- Darvish Damavandi R, Mousavi SN, Shidfar F, et al. Effects of daily consumption of cashews on oxidative stress and atherogenic indices in patients with type 2 diabetes: A randomized, controlled-feeding trial. Int J Endocrinol Metab. 2019;17(1). doi:10.5812/ijem.70744
- Mohan V, Gayathri R, Jaacks LM, Lakshmipriya N, Anjana RM, Spiegelman D, Willett WC. Cashew nut consumption increases HDL cholesterol and reduces systolic blood pressure in Asian Indians with type 2 diabetes: A 12-week randomized controlled trial. The Journal of Nutrition. 2018;148(1):63–69. doi:10.1093/jn/nxx001
- Satija A, Bhupathiraju SN, Spiegelman D, et al. Healthful and unhealthful plant-based diets and the risk of coronary heart disease in U.S. adults. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70(4):411-422. doi:10.1016/j.jacc.2017.05.047
- American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology. Everthing you needed to know about tree nut allergy.
- Balasubramanian B, Sherfudeen KM, Kaliannan SK, Murugesan K. Cashew nut shell liquid poisoning. Indian J Crit Care Med. 2016;20(1):57–58. doi:10.4103/0972-5229.173696
- Settaluri V, Kandala C, Puppala N, Sundaram J. Peanuts and their nutritional aspects—a review. Food Nutr Sci. 2012;12(3):1644-1650. doi:10.4236/fns.2012.312215
- Liu AG, Ford NA, Hu FB, Zelman KM, Mozaffarian D, Kris-Etherton PM. A healthy approach to dietary fats: Understanding the science and taking action to reduce consumer confusion. Nutr J. 2017;16(1):53. doi:10.1186/s12937-017-0271-4
- Tuso PJ, Ismail MH, Ha BP, Bartolotto C. Nutritional update for physicians: Plant-based diets. Perm J. 2013;17(2):61-66. doi:10.7812/TPP/12-085
Jennifer Andrews specializes in writing about health, wellness and nutrition. Andrews has a Master of Science in physical therapy from the University of Alberta as well as a bachelor's degree in kinesiology. She teaches yoga and pilates and is a recent graduate of the Institute of Integrative Nutrition.