Adverse gastric reactions to pine nuts after consumption are a common symptom of an allergic reaction. Pine nuts are considered a tree nut, which is among the leading food allergic reaction that leads to death, according to The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network. Gastric reactions are not considered normal and needs to be evaluated by a medical doctor. If you notice adverse reactions after eating pine nuts, discontinue eating them.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Pine Nut Allergy
A pine nut allergy occurs when your immune system mistakes the proteins found in the nut as a dangerous substance. The body begins to quickly defend itself by creating antibodies, according to KidsHealth website. The presence of IgE antibodies in the blood stream causes mast cells to produce histamine. Histamine helps to fight off unwanted substances in the body but leads to inflammation and irritation in soft tissue throughout the body. Common soft tissue affected by increased histamine is nasal tissue, lung tissue and tissue in the digestive tract.
Gastric Reaction Symptoms
A common symptom of an allergic reaction to pine nuts is gastrointestinal complications. Most gastric reaction symptoms will develop within a few minutes after eating, according to KidsHealth. You may experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, a sour stomach, bloating, abdominal pain and cramping. Talk to your doctor if you notice blood in your stool or you experience diarrhea for more than 24 hours.
Gastric reaction symptoms will not respond to common over-the-counter gastrointestinal medications. The body needs to rid itself of the allergen 1. It is best to allow the body expels the pine nut proteins. Drink increased amounts of water and wait to eat solid foods until the diarrhea subsides. Talk with your doctor about undergoing allergy testing to confirm your suspected allergy.
Under U.S. law, tree nuts are considered a tree nut and must be clearly disclosed on product labels containing them, according to the Food Allergy Initiative. If you have been diagnosed with a pine nut allergy, you should avoid consuming pine nuts and other tree nuts. Read product labels carefully, inform your server when eating out about your allergy and stay current on common foods you eat as ingredients often change. Talk with our doctor about other recommended nuts you should avoid.
Diarrhea is a common symptom of anaphylaxis and could lead to death if not properly treated. Call 911 if you develop hives, shortness of breathe and an increased heart rate.
A pine nut allergy occurs when your immune system mistakes the proteins found in the nut as a dangerous substance. Most gastric reaction symptoms will develop within a few minutes after eating, according to KidsHealth. Pine nuts are considered a tree nut, which is among the leading food allergic reaction that leads to death, according to The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network.
- oksix/iStock/Getty Images