Stomach edema, also referred to ascites, occurs when fluid accumulates in the tissues of the abdominal cavity. The accumulation of fluid occurs when the smallest blood vessels, the capillaries, leak fluid abnormally, and the kidneys begin to retain water in an effort to compensate for the fluid loss. Mild edema in the legs does not usually indicate an underlying medical condition, but stomach edema can indicate damage to major organs.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Cirrhosis is extensive scarring in the liver that occurs as a result of chronic damage. The liver is responsible for detoxifying the body and preventing damage from harmful substances. Each time the liver is damaged by a harmful substance, it repairs itself. In most people, the liver can repair itself without producing any severe scarring. People with chronic liver disease, bile duct diseases and those who abuse alcohol, experience repeated liver damage, causing scar tissue to build up and replace healthy liver tissue. When the liver has a significant amount of scar tissue, it can no longer function properly. Treatment for cirrhosis is focused on treating or eliminating the underlying cause and reducing symptoms with medications.
- Cirrhosis is extensive scarring in the liver that occurs as a result of chronic damage.
- When the liver has a significant amount of scar tissue, it can no longer function properly.
Heat Therapy and Gallbladder Problems
The pancreas is a gland located behind the stomach that is responsible for producing enzymes that aid in proper digestion of food. The pancreas is also responsible for the release of insulin and glucagon, which help to regulate blood sugar. Pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas that may be caused by a blockage of the bile ducts or certain chronic diseases, according to the National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. This inflammation irritates the inner lining of the pancreas and causes digestive enzymes to activate inside of the pancreas, instead of the small intestine where they usually become active. Symptoms of pancreatitis include:
- stomach edema
- increased pulse
- weight loss
Pancreatitis is a serious condition that usually requires hospitalization during which, intravenous fluids and antibiotics are administered.
- The pancreas is a gland located behind the stomach that is responsible for producing enzymes that aid in proper digestion of food.
- This inflammation irritates the inner lining of the pancreas and causes digestive enzymes to activate inside of the pancreas, instead of the small intestine where they usually become active.
Heart failure is a condition that occurs when the heart cannot pump adequate amounts of blood to the rest of the body 3. When the heart cannot pump blood efficiently, the blood pools in areas of the body and causes fluid to accumulate. This results in stomach edema. Heart failure is a chronic condition that usually develops as a result of congenital heart diseases, abnormalities of the heart valves, chronic irregular heartbeat and heart attack 3. Treatment for heart failure consists of close monitoring, drastic diet changes, medications and possible surgery 3.
Heat Therapy and Gallbladder Problems
Abdomen Enlargement Side Effects from Omeprazole
Pancreatitis Caused by Vitamin B12 Deficiency
Causes of Swollen & Painful Legs From the Groin Down
HIV & Stomach Symptoms
Can Food Sensitivities and Allergies Cause Gallbladder Problems?
Gastroparesis as a Cause of Vitamin B-12 Deficiency
Causes of Swelling in Legs, Hands & Feet
The Symptoms of Acid Reflux & Fatty Liver
End-Stage Cirrhosis Symptoms
- Mayo Clinic: Edema
- Mayo Clinic: Cirrhosis
- MedlinePlus: Heart Failure
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. MedlinePlus. Warning signs and symptoms of heart disease
- Harvard Medical School. A new warning sign for heart failure: "Bendopnea"
- American Heart Association. Advanced Heart Failure
- American Heart Association. Common Tests for Heart Failure
- American Heart Association. Medications Used to Treat Heart Failure
- American Heart Association. Devices and Surgical Procedures to Treat Heart Failure
- American Heart Association. Lifestyle Changes for Heart Failure
- Ibrahim NE, Januzzi JL Jr. The Future of Biomarker-Guided Therapy for Heart Failure After the Guiding Evidence-Based Therapy Using Biomarker Intensified Treatment in Heart Failure (GUIDE-IT) Study. Curr Heart Fail Rep. 2018 Apr;15(2):37-43. doi: 10.1007/s11897-018-0381-0.
Lindsay Boyers has a Bachelor of Science in nutrition from Framingham State College and a certificate in holistic nutrition from the American College of Healthcare Sciences. She is also a licensed aesthetician with advanced training in skincare and makeup. She plans to continue on with her education, complete a master's degree program in nutrition and, ultimately, become a registered dietitian.