Calcium D-glucarate is the salt form of glucaric acid, also known as d-glucaric acid salt. This phytochemical is found in certain foods, including apples, oranges, broccoli, potatoes and brussel sprouts. Calcium D-glucarate helps the liver detoxify certain carcinogens and hormones from the body. It is also used to prevent and/or treat certain cancers, such as breast and prostate, which are estrogen dependent. The body's balance of hormones, such as estrogen and testosterone, is delicate and complicated. Calcium D-glucarate may affect testosterone levels due to its role in the elimination of estrogen 1.
Calcium D-glucarate inhibits beta-glucuronidase, a liver enzyme that slows down the removal of hormones from the body. When estrogen is not quickly eliminated, it can cause many problems. For men, calcium D-glucarate may help to keep a health balance of estrogen and testosterone. More efficient elimination of estrogen from the body would mean a better estrogen-to-testosterone ratio. For women, calcium D-glucarate may balance their hormones during menopause, when estrogen and testosterone levels decline 1. In addition, it may also improve breast health, decreasing the risk of breast cancer.
- Calcium D-glucarate inhibits beta-glucuronidase, a liver enzyme that slows down the removal of hormones from the body.
- For men, calcium D-glucarate may help to keep a health balance of estrogen and testosterone.
The Toxicity of Plug-In Air Fresheners
Bodybuilders and athletes who use anabolic steroids and/or prohormones practice post-cycle therapy (PCT). During a cycle of steroids or prohormones, natural endogenous production of testosterone can be completely shut down. This leaves an estrogen-dominant state when the artificial source of testosterone is removed. If the balance is not restored quickly, men can suffer feminizing side effects from excess estrogen, including gynecomastia, testicular atrophy, weight gain and depression. Calcium D-glucarate may help to safely remove excess estrogen from the body before it can be reabsorbed and align with estrogen receptors, causing these side effects. Calcium D-glucarate should not be used alone as a PCT because it has not been shown to directly increase testosterone levels 1. However, its use may improve the rebound effect of testosterone.
- Bodybuilders and athletes who use anabolic steroids and/or prohormones practice post-cycle therapy (PCT).
- This leaves an estrogen-dominant state when the artificial source of testosterone is removed.
Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is the process of replacing naturally declining hormones to avoid signs of aging and improve overall health. Testosterone sharply declines in aging men, starting from the age 30 1. By 80, testosterone has dropped to 20 percent of youthful levels 1. Calcium D-glucarate may positively affect testosterone replacement therapy by allowing men to avoid the symptoms involved with estrogen dominance. Estrogen can negatively influence prostate health by enlarging the prostate gland, causing benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH) or even prostate cancer. Calcium D-glucarate may help aging men combat low testosterone without increasing the risk of estrogen-dependent cancers and estrogen-dominant side effects 1.
The Toxicity of Plug-In Air Fresheners
What Will Taking Estrogen Supplements Do?
Risks of Men Taking Female Hormones
Side Effects of Men Taking Female Birth Control Pills
Supplements to Reduce Estrogen
List of Foods That Are Rich in Estrogen
Nettle Root and Estrogen Levels
The Effects of Progesterone & Estrogen in Men
Broccoli & Estrogen
How to Eat Before Menstrual Cycles
- Optimizing Testosterone Levels in Aging Men
- "Natural Anabolics;" Jerry Brainum; 2008
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center -- Calcium D-glucarate
- Calcium-D-glucarate. Altern Med Rev. 2002;7(4):336-9.
- Hanausek M, Walaszek Z, Slaga TJ. Detoxifying cancer causing agents to prevent cancer. Integr Cancer Ther. 2003;2(2):139-44. doi:10.1177/1534735403002002005
- Zoltaszek R, Kowalczyk P, Kowalczyk MC, et al. Dietary D-glucarate effects on the biomarkers of inflammation during early post-initiation stages of benzo[a]pyrene-induced lung tumorigenesis in A/J mice. Oncol Lett. 2011;2(1):145-154. doi:10.3892/ol.2010.221
- Singh J, Gupta KP. Induction of apoptosis by calcium D-glucarate in 7,12-dimethyl benz [a] anthracene-exposed mouse skin. J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol. 2007;26(1):63-73. doi:10.1615/jenvironpatholtoxicoloncol.v26.i1.70
- Walaszek Z, Hanausek M, Narog M, Raich PC, Slaga TJ. Mechanisms of lung cancer chemoprevention by D-glucarate. Chest. 2004;125(5 Suppl):149S-50S.
- Mayo Clinic. Calcium and Calcium Supplements: Achieving the Right Balance. mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/calcium-supplements/art-20047097
- Memorial Sloan Kettering. Calcium Glucarate. mskcc.org/cancer-care/integrative-medicine/herbs/calcium-glucarate
Andrew Bennett enjoys exploring health and fitness through his personal workouts, as well as researching the latest about the subject. As a natural body builder, Bennett enjoys the ongoing pursuit of health and wellness in all aspects of life. He writes articles, blogs, copy, and even award-winning screenplays.