The lemon and sea salt diet is very stringent and helps dieters lose weight quickly over a period of 3 to 10 days. Following this strict diet for more than 10 days is not recommended. The lemon and sea salt diet is most appropriate for people who need to quickly cleanse their system of toxins or who want to lose enough weight to fit into an outfit in time for the weekend 12. This diet has gained popularity since singer Beyonce famously used lemon and sea salt to lose 20 pounds for her role in the movie "Dreamgirls."
How It Works
The lemon and sea salt diet, also known as the Master Cleanse Diet and the Lemonade Diet, was originally created by natural healer Stanley Burroughs as a short-term fast to rid the body of toxins 12. In addition to working as a detoxifying diet, the lemon and sea salt regimen has gained worldwide attention as a quick weight loss solution. The diet is effective for fast weight loss because it eliminates solid foods, increases frequency of bowel movements and significantly decreases daily calorie intake.
- The lemon and sea salt diet, also known as the Master Cleanse Diet and the Lemonade Diet, was originally created by natural healer Stanley Burroughs as a short-term fast to rid the body of toxins 1.
- In addition to working as a detoxifying diet, the lemon and sea salt regimen has gained worldwide attention as a quick weight loss solution.
Pros and Cons
Lime & Cayenne Diet
As with any fad diet, there are pros and cons to losing weight with lemon and sea salt. The pros are that you can lose up to 2 lbs. per day, it is simple to make the mixtures and follow the program, and no long-term health problems have been associated with this diet. The cons are that drinking the liquid mixtures quickly becomes monotonous, you need to stay near a restroom and remaining on the diet too long may result in temporary side effects, such as fatigue and dizziness.
- As with any fad diet, there are pros and cons to losing weight with lemon and sea salt.
Although the lemon and sea salt diet is not known to cause any long-term side effects, this weight loss solution is not appropriate for everyone. Since this weight loss regimen is very strict, it is highly recommended that you check with your doctor before beginning the program. Medical professionals generally advise pregnant women, people with low blood pressure and cancer patients not to use the lemon and sea salt weight loss program.
Cabbage Soup Detox Diet
The lemon and sea salt diet is easy to follow. Simply mix 12 to 14 tbsp. of lemon juice, 12 to 14 tbsp. of maple syrup and 1/2 tsp. of cayenne pepper into 2 L of water. Whenever you feel hungry, drink this mixture. Drink the 2 L mixture completely by the end of each day that you stay on this diet. Other than the mixture, drink a salt water flush mix once daily. To make the salt water flush mix, just mix 1 tbsp. of sea salt into 1 L of water. These two mixes are the only components of the lemon and sea salt diet. You may also drink as much water as you like.
- The lemon and sea salt diet is easy to follow.
- Drink the 2 L mixture completely by the end of each day that you stay on this diet.
Lime & Cayenne Diet
Cabbage Soup Detox Diet
Paprika Lemon Water Cleanse
Diet Rite Cola Ingredients
Side Effects of the Cayenne Pepper, Lemon Juice and Maple Syrup Diet
How to Cleanse Your Body After Eating Too Much Salt
Pros and Cons of the Lemonade Diet
How Does the Cayenne Pepper, Molasses & Lemon Diet Work?
How Does the Apple Cider Vinegar Diet Work?
The UltraSimple Diet
- The Real Deal on the Master Cleanse Diet
- The Master Cleanse
- Burroughs S. The Master Cleanser. Burroughs Books; 1967.
- Lemon, raw. U.S. Department of Agriculture. Published April 1, 2019.
- Hedge R. 15 Health Benefits of Lemon Juice, Back by Science. Organic Facts. Published November 11, 2019.
- Banana, raw. U.S. Department of Agriculture. Published April 1, 2019.
- Gordon B. What Is Intermittent Fasting? Eat Right. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Published May 7, 2019.
- How does weight affect gallstones?. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Published November 2017.
- Start Simple with MyPlate. ChooseMyPlate. U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Jennifer Clary is a professional writer, award-winning filmmaker, and proud vegan. She is a graduate of Vassar College and has been published in Tail Slate Magazine and Freethought Magazine as well as online at Ehow.com, savemyair.com and gobblegreen.com/blog. Clary travels extensively with her films and especially treasures her experiences in Italy and Finland.